News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

County Route 66 and CA-66 San Bernardino county

Started by bing101, June 11, 2014, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://route66news.com/2012/05/02/san-bernardino-county-extends-sign-program-to-needles/
County Route 66 from Goffs to Needles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_66

From San Bernardino to La Verne in the Inland Empire.

These were supposedly marked as historic US-66 but under Different shields one state the other county route. in the same county.

Henry

I believe that this is an exemption from CA's no-duplicates rule, since both County Route 66 and CA 66 were once part of the historic Mother Road.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Henry on June 11, 2014, 02:25:44 PM
I believe that this is an exemption from CA's no-duplicates rule, since both County Route 66 and CA 66 were once part of the historic Mother Road.

I don't believe county routes and forest service routes are explicitly exempted from the no-duplicate rule.  I can certainly name county routes that share a number with other roads in the state (mainly Mendocino and Lassen counties have routes without a letter prefix), and I think I even saw a Lassen county route 299 once, which would conflict with a state highway going through that county.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Why not just use Historic Route 66 shields for all of the 66's?  Maybe because it makes too much sense?  LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

FightingIrish

Quote from: nexus73 on June 11, 2014, 09:28:36 PM
Why not just use Historic Route 66 shields for all of the 66's?  Maybe because it makes too much sense?  LOL!

Rick

Problem is, historic routes are not by themselves administered by any state or federal governing body, unless they're concurrent with a different route designation. If they were, I guess they would no longer be decommissioned.

kendancy66

I am glad that San Bernadino county is helping to navigate old route 66.  Makes up for stupid decision of state to remove US-66. IMO, it was California's move to kill US-66 there, that started the removal of US-66 everywhere

nexus73

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 12, 2014, 03:00:08 PM

Rick

Problem is, historic routes are not by themselves administered by any state or federal governing body, unless they're concurrent with a different route designation. If they were, I guess they would no longer be decommissioned.

The placement of Historical route signs should have no effect on who actually maintains the route (city, county, state, Federal).

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

FightingIrish

Quote from: nexus73 on June 13, 2014, 12:22:50 PM

Rick

The placement of Historical route signs should have no effect on who actually maintains the route (city, county, state, Federal).

Rick

At least that's what I thought I said.

nexus73

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 13, 2014, 03:26:17 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on June 13, 2014, 12:22:50 PM

Rick

Rick

At least that's what I thought I said.

If that's the case you should have said "I agree with you!".

Rick

andy3175

Here are a few pictures of CR 66 ...

First few are from Barstow:

Needles...

Between Barstow and Amboy...

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SimMoonXP

That is an awesome photos of San Bernardino County Route 66!...Very nostalgia! How are you doing Andy?

Desert Man

The county is doing its best to preserve the route and legacy of US 66. Never completely grasped why the US Dept of Transportation wanted to do away with the most famous US highway there is.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

emory

I wonder if they'll extend the sign program southward into San Bernardino.

Max Rockatansky

Saw some of the CR 66 signs in and around Needles last week, I wish that I had the presence in mind to take some photos of them.  Incidentally does anyone know why the Goffs Bypass is shut down from Essex to I-40?  There is a ton of gravel beds blocking the road east of Essex which forces you onto the 1926-1931 alignment.  I was thinking it had to been a washout or something over the winter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.