News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

NE2

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on September 25, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
I may have found a good Gmaps replacement, HERE maps. They are the people who make the maps for all Garmin devices. Check it out. here.com
If it doesn't have street view, it's not even in the running as a replacement.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2014, 09:04:41 PM
I may have found a good Gmaps replacement, HERE maps. They are the people who make the maps for all Garmin devices. Check it out. here.com

I tried it out. I wasn't on there long enough to really check it out, but it has some fairly good maps, and it actually does have street view, and it's the only site I've ever seen that has it besides Google Maps. But you must have Google Chrome to use it, and when you try to get street view, the only available street view I saw was clustered in urban areas across the U.S.

EDIT: Here Maps could possibly be on the rise to become a pretty rad website.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 25, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2014, 09:04:41 PM

I tried it out. I wasn't on there long enough to really check it out, but it has some fairly good maps, and it actually does have street view, and it's the only site I've ever seen that has it besides Google Maps. But you must have Google Chrome to use it, and when you try to get street view, the only available street view I saw was clustered in urban areas across the U.S.

EDIT: Here Maps could possibly be on the rise to become a pretty rad website.
Doesn't have much streetview though. Hell, they don't even have any of the streets in Huntsville. I'll give it a little bit before I make my decision to switch to it or not. Glad that they have a satellite view though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 25, 2014, 10:22:45 PM
Doesn't have much streetview though. Hell, they don't even have any of the streets in Huntsville. I'll give it a little bit before I make my decision to switch to it or not. Glad that they have a satellite view though.

I tried Trenton, Princeton, Newark and a bunch of other cities to see if it had SV. Nope. Even if Google Maps is a bit ugly, it still runs decent enough on IE, and if that doesn't work... well... I'll go back to classic.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

I think Bing Maps would be #2, with more 'bird's eye' view, but Google Maps is catching up in that department.  I used to jump back and forth between the two over bird's eye vs. street view, but mostly stay with Google now.

DaBigE

They're also the ones behind Yahoo! Maps as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Zeffy

Does anyone else see how Google labeled some of the ramps and whatnot on I-676/US 30 in Philadelphia as toll roads? Look here and you'll notice the ramp for 5th Street is outlined as if it were a toll road. Same with I-676 and US 30 - (how many times do you see an Interstate labeled with anything but freeway orange?) even though the only toll is before the bridge in Camden. I get that if you don't go through the toll you won't be able to use those ramps (imagine that), but I don't think they should be marked as a toll road.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

CNGL-Leudimin

Due to the areas I frequently check in Google Maps, for some things I discarded it in favor of Baidu Maps :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

adventurernumber1

Does anyone else have Google Maps on a smartphone (such as an iPhone)? I do, and have for a while. But getting to the point, recently, multiple times, it has not let me gotten street view. I've probably had it for two years on my iPhone, and not one time has it failed to give me street view on a road/interstate that has it, but lately it has been failing me a lot.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15374784408/
That's an example of the crap Im seeing when I try to get street view many times now (that blank space on the bottom is where an option to get street view is supposed to be).

Has anybody else been having this issue?

EDIT: This is a fairly big deal for me, for I am a frequent Google Maps user, and when I'm not at my laptop (away from home or "asleep" in bed *cough* on my phone  :) *cough*), I use it a lot on my iPhone. Also, right now I'm trying to find SteveG's location (see the Where's Steve At thread in Photos/Videos subforum), so this is a major holdup  :pan:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Billy F 1988

Just can the new GMaps. You're better off with Yahoo or Mapquest. Being that they're not as the best as GMaps, at least Yahoo and MapQuest don't glitch out and cause browser crashes unlike "new" GMaps. I can't really say the same for those accessing these map services on Smartphones, iPads, or Windows Phones, per se, because I am not familiar with these devices and how they can handle GMaps, Yahoo, or MapQuest.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

1995hoo

The current Google Maps app for iPhone and iPad doesn't seem to do Street View. You need to get the separate Google Earth app. It does allow Street View, though I cannot figure out how to get it to give me a link, such as if I want to post one here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Besides being a giant battery drainer, Google Maps Streetview is incredibly difficult to work with on my iPhone 6, so I choose not to use my phone for that.

Roadrunner75

Google Streetview is a lost cause on any "I" device.  I won't even bother with GSV on my Iphone, but on the Ipad, it only works if you click on a named location/point of interest which then brings up pegman.  Clicking him will only bring you to the nearest street frontage of the named location, and you can then only slowly proceed in either direction along the street.  This is through Safari, and not an app, but I understand this is the same.  It makes GSV essentially useless for checking out roads.  Safari also frequently crashes on me, and when I reopen it, it puts me right back at the original location, losing any progress I made along the road.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 18, 2014, 01:03:47 AM
This is a fairly big deal for me, for I am a frequent Google Maps user, and when I'm not at my laptop (away from home or "asleep" in bed *cough* on my phone  :) *cough*), I use it a lot on my iPhone. Also, right now I'm trying to find SteveG's location (see the Where's Steve At thread in Photos/Videos subforum), so this is a major holdup  :pan:

I only look for Steve's location on a desktop PC where I have full GSV at my disposal - and Classic GSV at that.  I could never do it on the new Google Maps, because it's much more cumbersome and doesn't allow me to quickly zoom in and out when I find a location that looks right and I need to check it at street level.

1995hoo

In the Google Earth app you drag the man to whatever location. I never run it on my phone because of the small screen, but it works fine on my iPad.

I have no problem viewing Street View links via Safari on my iPad, though. Just can't seem to get to it myself if I wanted to use their website.

adventurernumber1

I just get street view on the Google Maps app. When I hold down to get the red pointer thing for a location (if the road has available street view), I used to be able to get street view just fine. This past week, though, 95% of the time it just shows a blank screen where the street view option is supposed to be!! And sometimes, after entering the app for the first time in a while, it'll let me get street view one time, then not at all after that! But I only use Google Maps on my phone when I'm unable to be on my laptop, so luckily this isn't an issue most of my time, only when I'm on my phone.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 18, 2014, 02:15:31 PM
In the Google Earth app you drag the man to whatever location. I never run it on my phone because of the small screen, but it works fine on my iPad.

I have no problem viewing Street View links via Safari on my iPad, though. Just can't seem to get to it myself if I wanted to use their website.
I'll give the Google Earth app a try.  I'm not much for downloading apps, and I usually just use the browser for things that also have an app available.  What's the difference between Earth and the standard Maps app?  (I assume better Street View access for one?)

On the PC, I just use Google Maps in the browser, and not the Google Earth program.  I see others open it and watch it zoom in from space every time, and I think "I don't have time for that nonsense..."

1995hoo

Main difference between the Earth app and the Maps app is Earth doesn't offer the "map" view, just "hybrid" or "satellite."

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 18, 2014, 11:13:36 PM
Main difference between the Earth app and the Maps app is Earth doesn't offer the "map" view, just "hybrid" or "satellite."
I just installed both on the Ipad.  I don't like Earth much so far due to the rotation/3D being integrated directly into the navigation.  It makes it cumbersome when I have to deal with rotation as well on a touchscreen device, unless there is a way to lock it to North, as with Maps.  In other words, how do I get Earth to act like Maps?  The hybrid / roadway display isn't all that great either (would prefer to have just maps).  On the plus side, pegman/Street View seems better integrated - more like the standard version I'm used to using a PC browser.

The Google Maps app is more like the Safari browser version I'm used to.  However, I discovered that I can drop a pin on any road, and then click on the location box to access GSV (unlike Safari which only lets you click a named location).  Unfortunately, it requires a couple of steps, and I don't have the little map available as an inset to see where I'm at while in GSV.  I prefer to see them both as with on the PC to see my direction.  I don't understand why it is so hard for Google to just have the Pegman always displayed in a corner like the PC browser version, so that I can click to see what GSV is available. 

adventurernumber1

I never knew you could do street view on the Google Earth app. But I just downloaded Google Earth on my iPhone, so Im going to see what it's like.  :-P

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 19, 2014, 12:31:54 AM

The Google Maps app is more like the Safari browser version I'm used to.  However, I discovered that I can drop a pin on any road, and then click on the location box to access GSV (unlike Safari which only lets you click a named location).  Unfortunately, it requires a couple of steps, and I don't have the little map available as an inset to see where I'm at while in GSV.  I prefer to see them both as with on the PC to see my direction.  I don't understand why it is so hard for Google to just have the Pegman always displayed in a corner like the PC browser version, so that I can click to see what GSV is available. 

I had no idea you could do that! Thanks for the info. I just tried it around the corner from our house and it took me a minute to understand what I needed to do, but sure enough, when I figured it out, there was my RX-7.

For viewing a single location, that's probably easier than the Earth app, and it uses fewer system resources. Thanks for explaining. I still don't see a way to get a Street View link for use here on the forum, though.

vdeane

At work I've had the issue where, instead of loading street view, I would just get a black screen where the imagery should be, and the location is not identified outside of the mini-map, but it otherwise functions normally.  This is also connected to times when Google would refuse to finish downloading the imagery and patches would be blurry forever.  I've never had Google Maps crash on any computer though, which is interesting as my copies of Chrome on my desktop and work computer both like to go "aw snap" at random intervals.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Has anyone noticed that there is now a darker shade for (some) freeway-to-freeway interchanges? Look here:

However, there are plenty of cases where this is not illustrated:

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Zeffy on October 19, 2014, 04:14:32 PM
Has anyone noticed that there is now a darker shade for (some) freeway-to-freeway interchanges? Look here:

However, there are plenty of cases where this is not illustrated:

Hm. I have not noticed that. I have not a clue how they'd determine what shade the exit ramps be. That is very odd indeed.

hotdogPi

There's something that I call a "Google Partial Freeway". Before yellow roads became white (remember when that happened?), all Google Partial Freeways looked like freeways. Then when yellow roads turned white, they looked like light orange roads (just like major surface roads that did not turn white). Now they're freeway-colored again.

These are usually full freeways in the United States, but in other countries, where they are much more common, they are usually not freeways.

Examples of Google Partial Freeways in the northeastern US and Canada:

MA 2 in its western freeway section (exits 14 to 43)
Eastern 10 miles of US 44
Nova Scotia 101
Nova Scotia 103
US 1 in Maine from Brunswick to Bath
Taconic State Parkway
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Some unpaid sucker probably has to set the 'freeway-to-freeway' flag.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.