News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Williston ND US 2/85 bypass

Started by yakra, November 26, 2013, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Re the somewhat-new US 2/85 bypass of Williston ND:
The US 2 Bypass clearly connects to its parent on both ends.

But as far as US 85 Bypass signage goes, does it only cover the same ground as the US2Byp linked above, with a dangling south end, or does it overlap US2 at the south end to meet up with US 85 proper?

Any of you roadgeeks been out there and checked out the signage?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

SD Mapman

I looked it up and found this.
If the routing's that way, I don't see any designation problems.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

Quote from: yakra on November 26, 2013, 02:25:45 PM

But as far as US 85 Bypass signage goes, does it only cover the same ground as the US2Byp linked above, with a dangling south end, or does it overlap US2 at the south end to meet up with US 85 proper?

Quote from: yakra on November 26, 2013, 02:25:45 PM

I know NDDOT is consistent with signage.  And I know when this oil field boom happened, you're going to see "malfunctions" in signage.
The roadgeek in me rests... and I feel for the people who are rooted there.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on November 28, 2013, 03:49:17 AM
I know NDDOT is consistent with signage.  And I know when this oil field boom happened, you're going to see "malfunctions" in signage.
The roadgeek in me rests... and I feel for the people who are rooted there.
Yeah... I can't imagine what that would be like...
Even down in SD we're getting the runoff.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

bugo

Is it signed as a bypass or mainline?  It could go either way.  In Minot, US 2/52 are routed on a bypass and there are business routes for both highways.  However, US 83 runs along Broadway and the bypass is signed as Bypass US 83.

yakra

SD Mapman:
The route you linked is the future permanent bypass, still under construction. I'm referring to the temporary bypass we're still using in the meantime, which uses county routes 1 and 6, as shown on the Clinched Highway Mapping site. The SW end of this bypass is indeed W of the 2/85 junction.

Bugo:
It's signed as a bypass. Thus, in the Williston area, we have mainline/vanilla, bypass, and business. All three.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

M86

http://www.dot.nd.gov/projects/western-nd/western-nd-projects.htm

Wow, that is quite the undertaking for NDDOT.

I wonder if the Heartland Expressway will be eventually extended north from Rapid City to ND on US 85?   It looks like US 85 in North Dakota is getting additional capacity, with the growth there.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on December 01, 2013, 03:41:44 AM
http://www.dot.nd.gov/projects/western-nd/western-nd-projects.htm

Wow, that is quite the undertaking for NDDOT.

I wonder if the Heartland Expressway will be eventually extended north from Rapid City to ND on US 85?   It looks like US 85 in North Dakota is getting additional capacity, with the growth there.

I don't know... Between Belle Fourche and Bowman (and Bowman to I-94) there's a whole lotta nothing.

That could make it easier to get right-of-way, though...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.