News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension)

Started by Grzrd, April 27, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 08, 2014, 10:11:28 AM
Quote from: jbnv on July 07, 2014, 03:36:13 PM
There's precedent in Louisiana for using the city you're already in as the control city. See numerous signs along I-10 and I-12 directing you to Baton Rouge when you are already in Baton Rouge. I think the 10-12 split is where Baton Rouge "begins" and the new control city is Lafayette.

I could see signs being changed in Shreveport if and when ICC is completed through downtown. It would make sense to change destinations for I-49 north to Texarkana for those interchanges inside the LA 3132 loop (70th St, Pierremont, Kings) and maybe at the 3132 exit for 49 north as well. I could see Bert Kouns keeping Shreveport for 49 north. Similar to the west side of town: Pines Rd still shows Shreveport for I-20 east, but beginning at I-220/LA 3132, the city changes to Monroe.

It is logical to have the control city be Shreveport outside of the loop and the next city by direction within it. It is logical to have the loop define the "boundary" of Shreveport regarding navigation.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 12, 2013, 03:27:52 PM
This November 8 Shreveport Times article reports that lawsuits filed by the Finish 3132 Coalition have stalled the process for construction of the extension ....
The article does not provide an estimate of when the legal proceedings will allow the environmental study to proceed.

The Finish 3132 lawsuit has been dismissed without prejudice as premature pending completion of the Stage 1 study, and this article reports that the Stage 1 study is underway and that the consultant should have a dedicated website for the extension project up and running in the near future:

The ball is rolling on the Stage 1 Planning and Environmental Study for Louisiana Highway 3132 Inner Loop Expressway extension.
State, federal and local governing agencies met with Burk-Kleinpeter, Inc., the engineering consultant hired to conduct the study, Monday to go over the study's preliminaries. The meeting included selecting key point persons, reviewing the consultant timeline as well as getting a project layout ....
BKI is expected to produce a website that would update the public on the study's progress. The Stage 1 study is second step in LaDOTD's project delivery process.
BKI received notice to proceed with the 18-month study July 10.

Eighteen months for the study to be completed and then wait and see if more lawsuits are filed .............

ARMOURERERIC

And can we have the boundaries on SIU 15?  And is there any remote chance of funding on the horizon?

thefro

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 10, 2014, 04:01:06 PM
And can we have the boundaries on SIU 15?  And is there any remote chance of funding on the horizon?

The ROD seems to indicate it will be funded and very slowly built/completed between 2015-2026

ARMOURERERIC

Grzrd

Quote from: thefro on September 10, 2014, 04:46:55 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 10, 2014, 04:01:06 PM
The ROD seems to indicate it will be funded and very slowly built/completed between 2015-2026

Exhibit 6 from the ROD shows that I-69 SIU 15 has been divided into five segments from US 171 to I-20 and it shows the order in which the five segments will be built, with the Red River Bridge segment being first (page 24/87 of pdf; Exhibit 6 of document):

edit

Page 22 of the Record of Decision (page 23/87 of pdf) indicates that preliminary design work on the Red River Bridge can be advanced immediately:

Project appropriations currently exist to advance the Red River Bridge preliminary design upon completion of the NEPA studies and execution of the Record of Decision.

It looks like Louisiana is now the clear-cut favorite to complete its I-69 Red River Bridge before Arkansas and Texas complete their I-49 Red River Bridge.  :-P

cjk374

Quote from: Grzrd on September 10, 2014, 08:44:25 PM

It looks like Louisiana is now the clear-cut favorite to complete its I-69 Red River Bridge before Arkansas and Texas complete their I-49 Red River Bridge.  :-P

That's a really bright spotlight for Louisiana to be in, but it just doesn't seem right for an interstate so close to being finished (49) to take a backseat to an interstate that is still, in some ways, a pipe dream in some places (69).  It just don't seem right.  :no:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ARMOURERERIC

LA is being wise in that the red River Bridge could become the most difficult part to complete so get it out of the way first.

lordsutch

Plus the Red River crossing probably has the most independent utility of any of the segments; if funding dries up, better to have the bridge in place first rather than a freeway that goes to where the bridge isn't.

cjk374

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 14, 2014, 06:18:09 PM
LA is being wise in that the red River Bridge could become the most difficult part to complete so get it out of the way first.

Quote from: lordsutch on September 14, 2014, 06:27:28 PM
Plus the Red River crossing probably has the most independent utility of any of the segments; if funding dries up, better to have the bridge in place first rather than a freeway that goes to where the bridge isn't.

Very true on both points.  :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Henry

Since TX is building out its sections of I-69 at a furious pace (compared to the other states anyway), I think it would make sense to build the portions south of Shreveport first, and then see what path the highway will take to the north.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thefro

Quote from: Henry on September 16, 2014, 10:59:44 AM
Since TX is building out its sections of I-69 at a furious pace (compared to the other states anyway), I think it would make sense to build the portions south of Shreveport first, and then see what path the highway will take to the north.

I'm sure that's what they'll do once the Shreveport segments are done.  Much more utility in finishing the road to the TX border at the moment.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 02, 2013, 12:05:13 PM
I had a recent Q & A with a NLCOG representative:
Q: ... The Implementation Schedule in the I-69 SIU 15 FEIS includes a little under $10 million for preliminary engineering for the Red River crossing for FY 2014.  However, in taking a look at the Draft District 4 FY 2014-15 Highway Program, I do not see the preliminary engineering included for the Red River crossing ...
A: ... until the project is issued a ROD, funds are not programmed and authorized for performing design/engineering, ROW acquisition, Utility Relocation, or Construction services along the selected alignment... otherwise our Federal partners will withdraw any future support (i.e. funding) for the project.
Quote from: JON30 on September 10, 2014, 10:56:04 AM
The ROD has been issued for I-69 SIU 15.  Approved!!
http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Engineering/Environmental/Documents/I-69%20SIUs%2014%20and%2015/I-69%20SIU%2015/I-69%20SIU%2015%20ROD.pdf

Since the ROD for SIU 15 was issued in early September, I was a little disappointed to see that the Preliminary FY 2015-16 Highway Program only references the Environmental Impact Statement and does not include any preliminary work on the Red River Bridge (page 11/38 of pdf):

Maybe something will be added to the final version.

edit

The above link regarding the 2015-16 Highway Program only covers LaDOTD's District 4.  Links to the other districts can be found on this page:

http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Multimodal/Pages/Preliminary_Program.aspx

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 26, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: JON30 on September 10, 2014, 10:56:04 AM
The ROD has been issued for I-69 SIU 15.  Approved!!
http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Engineering/Environmental/Documents/I-69%20SIUs%2014%20and%2015/I-69%20SIU%2015/I-69%20SIU%2015%20ROD.pdf
Since the ROD for SIU 15 was issued in early September, I was a little disappointed to see that the Preliminary FY 2015-16 Highway Program only references the Environmental Impact Statement and does not include any preliminary work on the Red River Bridge (page 11/38 of pdf)

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Draft 2015-2018 Transportation Improvement Program ("TIP") for public comment.  In my first look at it, I could not find any preliminary work for the I-69 Red River bridge.  I emailed NLCOG to see if they had plans for I-69 during the 2015-2018 time period.  The response:

We are in consultation with LaDOTD about the next steps.  We previously had a line item in the TIP Year 2012 and therefore are not reflected in the current TIP.

At least NLCOG and LaDOTD are discussing the project.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 26, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
Since the ROD for SIU 15 was issued in early September, I was a little disappointed to see that the Preliminary FY 2015-16 Highway Program only references the Environmental Impact Statement and does not include any preliminary work on the Red River Bridge (page 11/38 of pdf):
Quote from: Grzrd on October 07, 2014, 08:34:10 PM
The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Draft 2015-2018 Transportation Improvement Program ("TIP") for public comment.  In my first look at it, I could not find any preliminary work for the I-69 Red River bridge.  I emailed NLCOG to see if they had plans for I-69 during the 2015-2018 time period.  The response:
We are in consultation with LaDOTD about the next steps.  We previously had a line item in the TIP Year 2012 and therefore are not reflected in the current TIP.

I just received an email update from LaDOTD regarding the current status of I-69 SIU 15:

Although the ROD has been issued for I-69, SIU 15, it is still in the environmental phase. The consultant is in the process of finalizing the Project Management Plan. That should be completed by the end of November. The PMP will contain an implementation plan to break up SIU 15 into smaller construction projects by schedule. 
Once the project is cleared environmentally, we will work to determine if the design will be done with in-house personnel or begin the consultant procurement process, provided enough funding is available.

I guess this explains the classification of the project in the Highway Program.

Grzrd

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted it October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes and the Committee discussed all three of the Louisiana I-69 SIUs: SIUs 14, 15, and 16:

SIU 15 (issuance of ROD and implementation schedule):

Mr. Rogers discussed the I‐69 Section of Independent (SIU) 15 — Haughton to Stonewall (I‐20 to US 171). A Record of Decision (ROD) was signed August 28, 2014 ....
The MPO's 2012 Transportation Improvement Program allocated funding for preliminary engineering for Segment 3 from La 1 to US 71 including the Red River Bridge crossing.
The MPO will also be working to develop a corridor preservation plan for all of SIU 15. A Project Management Plan is being developed. Part of this process is to identify segments for implementation and a prioritization of those segments .... Mr. Altimus asked if there was funding for the bridge. Mr. Rogers stated there is some funding available for Segment 3 — approximately $20 million.

SIU 14 (corridor preservation):

Mr. Rogers briefly discussed I‐69 SIU 14 — El Dorado, AR to Haughton, LA (US 82 to I‐20). A Record of Decision (ROD) was signed April 27, 2012 ....
Mayor Walker cautioned that Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) are needed sooner rather than later to preserve the corridors. He asked if there was an MOU for SIU 14 corridor preservation. Mr. Rogers stated there was not and that LaDOTD discussed moving both projects [with SIU 15] forward together.

SIU 16 (coordination with TxDOT for environmental work):

Mr. Rogers discussed I‐69 SIU 16 — Stonewall, LA to Tenaha TX (US 171 to US 59). Texas is the lead agency on the formal environmental process for SIU 16. The MPO has been working with the two state DOTs to help further this work in Louisiana. Mr. Rogers stated an option is to use a portion of the earmarked funds to move forward with the environmental work on this SIU. Mr. Easterly stated this committee may need to ask LaDOTD to request a release from TxDOT in order to move this project forward.

Future I-20/ I-69 interchange (SIUs 14 & 15 - I-20 widening):

The I‐20 Bossier — I‐220 to Future I‐69 project entails widening I‐20 from just east of the I‐220 interchange to the future I‐69 interchange from 4‐lanes to 6‐lanes. Using the roughly $5 million /mile estimate from Texas Line to Pines Road project this would be $50+ million.
The I‐20 Bossier —Future I‐69 to Minden project entails widening I‐20 from the future I‐69 interchange to Minden, LA from 4‐lanes to 6‐lanes. Estimate would be $100+ million.

Still just a lot of "talk" about I-69 in Louisiana, but getting ever closer to some "walk".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2012, 09:47:30 AM
This article suggests that, although the Jimmie Davis Bridge is a current regional priority, a second bridge parallel to it might not be built in the foreseeable future because the I-69 Red River bridge could provide a useful crossing for years before I-69 SIU 15 is completed:
A second bridge parallel to the Jimmie Davis Bridge will have to wait, but repairs to the existing Red River crossing are in the works.
"This is a first start to get the Jimmie Davis Bridge back in shape,"  Sen. Barrow Peacock said. "They can start doing planning and engineering and next year move more money into it."  ....
with Interstate 69 in the works, a bridge could be built farther south near the Port of Caddo-Bossier and later used as the interstate's crossing over the Red River ....
Jimmie Davis Bridge .... was originally designed to carry 13,500 vehicles per day. According to Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development traffic counts, the bridge carried more than 24,000 per day in 2010 ....
Below is a photo of the Jimmie Davis Bridge accompanying the article:

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted it October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes and they indicate that the long-term plan is to build a sister span to the Jimmie Davis Bridge at an undetermined time after the rehab on the current span is completed:

Mr. Rogers discussed the LA 511 Jimmie Davis Bridge rehab. The initial project was based off the Stage 0 Feasibility study. This was to replace the existing bridge with a new facility or major rehab to existing and build of sister span. Funding has been secured for the major rehab of the existing facility ($20+ million) so the emphasis in the Stage 1 NEPA is to provide for a sister span. The cost of the additional span ranges from $50 ‐ $80 million. Dr. Wilson asked when the rehab would start. Mr. North stated that the project would be out letting on November 12. Mayor Walker asked if the bridge would still close in January for one year. Mr. North stated yes. Mr. Rogers stated the study would include bicycle and pedestrian connections for both sides of the river.

It looks like the I-69 Red River Bridge will be built before the sister span to the Jimmie Davis Bridge will be built. If so, then in a way the I-69 Red River Bridge will serve as a short-term quasi-relief route for the Jimmie Davis Bridge.

Quote from: Grzrd on January 14, 2014, 06:46:48 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 28, 2013, 07:26:45 PM
This article reports that right of way purchasing for the extension from Sligo Road to LA 527 may begin in late 2014
This Shreveport Times article reports that declining sales tax revenues will delay the above schedule for ROW purchasing:
Efforts to ensure Arthur Ray Teague Parkway's connection to the future Interstate 69 have hit a roadblock.
Sales tax revenues for Bossier Parish in 2012 and 2013 were down a combined $3.6 million, which stalled plans to purchase the right-of-ways for the roadway's future southern extension from its current terminus to Taylortown.
(above quote from Western Louisiana thread)

If the I-69 Red River Bridge does serve as a short-term relief route, then funding for and construction of the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway southern extension may coincide with the construction of the bridge, which would provide a nice eastern side of the "relief route". At this point, I don't think anyone can venture a guess as to when the LA 3132 western side of the "relief route" will be completed ................*

edit

From the Draft Minutes:

Mr. Rogers discussed the LA 3132 Inner Loop Extension which is now in the Stage 1. He said the Stage 0 identified four potential options, but that the Stage 1 would look at any and all options within the study area. He stated the options ranged from $60 — 100 million. The options fell into two categories: tying into LA 1 and tying into I‐69. He stated this study is still 18‐24 months from completion.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 27, 2014, 03:55:11 PM
The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes ....
Mr. Rogers briefly discussed I‐69 SIU 14 — El Dorado, AR to Haughton, LA (US 82 to I‐20). A Record of Decision (ROD) was signed April 27, 2012 ....
Mayor Walker cautioned that Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) are needed sooner rather than later to preserve the corridors. He asked if there was an MOU for SIU 14 corridor preservation. Mr. Rogers stated there was not and that LaDOTD discussed moving both projects [with SIU 15] forward together.

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Transportation Policy Committee November 21, 2014 Agenda and it looks like they intend to ask to use federal earmarked funds for planning of I-69 SIUs 14 and 15 corridor preservation:

I-69 SIU 14 & 15 Corridor Preservation
Kent Rogers

Request use of Federal Earmarked funds to develop Corridor Preservation Plans for I-69 SIU's 14 and 15 within Louisiana

From the October 17 draft minutes:

Mr. Rogers discussed I‐69 SIU 16 — Stonewall, LA to Tenaha TX (US 171 to US 59). Texas is the lead agency on the formal environmental process for SIU 16. The MPO has been working with the two state DOTs to help further this work in Louisiana. Mr. Rogers stated an option is to use a portion of the earmarked funds to move forward with the environmental work on this SIU. Mr. Easterly stated this committee may need to ask LaDOTD to request a release from TxDOT in order to move this project forward.

The November 21 Agenda also indicates that they want to conduct a SIU 16 Stage 1 environmental study within Louisiana, which I suppose makes sense because Texas intends to upgrade US 84 to interstate standards on its side of the state line:

I-69 SIU 16 NEPA Environmental Impact Study
Kent Rogers

Request use of Federal Earmarked funds for the development of a Stage 1 NEPA Environmental Impact Study for I-69 SIU 16 within Louisiana

However, I think there will probably need to be some type of bypass around Logansport in the state line area that would need to be included in the study.

codyg1985

I'm really impressed with how proactive LaDOTD is when it comes to getting these major interstate projects done, even if it a slow but steady pace. They aren't moving as fast as TxDOT, however.

I envision that I-69 will have a gap between Shreveport and Memphis for the foreseeable future. Arkansas and Mississippi don't seem to have compelling reasons to finish the road other than the cliche "economic development" reasons that are always cited. Plus, MDOT is broke for now, and until they get more funding, I don't see anything happening with their sections, either.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2014, 08:58:38 AM
The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Transportation Policy Committee November 21, 2014 Agenda and it looks like they intend to ask to use federal earmarked funds for planning of I-69 SIUs 14 and 15 corridor preservation .... The November 21 Agenda also indicates that they want to conduct a SIU 16 Stage 1 environmental study within Louisiana, which I suppose makes sense because Texas intends to upgrade US 84 to interstate standards on its side of the state line

This Dec. 12 5 min. 38 sec. TV video reports, among other things, that Louisiana is leery of Texas focusing on upgrading US 59 to Texarkana along the I-369 corridor at the expense of the SIU 16 mainline corridor through Louisiana, that Louisiana is working on corridor preservation for SIUs 14 & 15, that the Red River bridge is slated to be the first I-69 construction project in Louisiana, and that NLCOG believes that increases in both the Louisiana and federal gas taxes would be a good way to help pay for I-69 in Louisiana.

seicer

Why not just complete Interstate 220 and use that alignment?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 16, 2014, 01:58:59 PM
This Dec. 12 5 min. 38 sec. TV video

KTBS has another page featuring the above video that also includes some text from the video:

I-69 will run through eight states when it's complete, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas. The miles left to build were divided into 32 segments, with 16 of those in Texas.
"Texas is working to upgrade US 59 to interstate standards for the great majority of that project,"  Rogers said.
The upgrades include the part of US 59 to Texarkana, which worries the northwest Louisiana's council of government or NLCOG.
The group said it appears Texas is not worried about the segment connecting to Louisiana, and by only focusing on US 59 separates Louisiana from the preferred corridor. NLCOG noted in a recent briefing, "If that is a fact, it would have a drastically negative impact on the utility of I-69 for the state of Louisiana."

Rogers said Louisiana is in charge of two legs–starting near Magnolia, Arkansas and passing through the Haughton area, and from Haughton around Barksdale Air Force Base to south of Stonewall in DeSoto Parish.
"We know we don't have enough money to buy all of the land needed for both of those sections, so what we want to do is put into place some ordinances and some things through the MPC's, the cities, the parishes–all the different bodies that would be involved--to preserve that corridor,"  Rogers said.
There is enough money to buy some land and Rogers said their first purchase would be at the Port of Shreveport Bossier so construction can start on the Red River Crossing. The bridge will connect to Highway 71 in Bossier Parish.
"It'll help relieve some of the stuff from the Jimmie Davis,"  Rogers explained. "Some of the earmarked moneys we've received over the past have language that referenced the Red River Crossing therefore; we pretty much have to use it in that area."
The Red River Crossing alone is estimated to cost more than $340 million–that's also about the same estimate for the proposed I-49 inner-city connector in Shreveport. The total cost for everything both segments in Louisiana is estimated to cost $1,948,415,300.

The webpage also has a link to NLCOG's "recent briefing", which is an October 2014 I-69 Status Report.  The language regarding SIU 16 referenced in the video is as follows (page 14/18 of pdf):

Anthony_JK

I would assume that Texas designating the Tenaha to Texarkana segment of US 59 as I-369 rather than I-69 would resolve the fears of NLCOG that they are being bypasses by the entire I-69 corridor....plus, the plans for Texas to upgrade the US 84 corridor from Tenaha to the LA state line would settle any issues.

I do think that TXDOT and LADOTD need to get together and resolve these differences, though, and get back in the same page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.