News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on SR 641 Terre Haute Bypass

Started by US 41, March 31, 2014, 07:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerninterloper

I forgot about those traffic lights on US 50 between Vincennes and Washington. I don't think that SR 54 from Sullivan east will save much time to Indy, though - there are several small towns - Bloomfield and Linton particularly, that would slow you down. To Bloomington, however, this would definitely be the best route. I-70, though is very busy between TH and Indy, so depending on how quickly the truck traffic picks up on I-69 between Bton and Evansville, it's likely to be a more pleasant drive than US 41 and I-70.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

westerninterloper

I drove up SR 46 from Riley to I-70 yesterday - the new highway looks great. I was surprised to see reassurance shields for SR 641 and SR 46 already up in the not-yet-opened northbound lanes of 641 just before the I-70 intersection. I can't believe this highway has taken over 25 years to complete.

US 41

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 04, 2016, 10:25:20 AM
I drove up SR 46 from Riley to I-70 yesterday - the new highway looks great. I was surprised to see reassurance shields for SR 641 and SR 46 already up in the not-yet-opened northbound lanes of 641 just before the I-70 intersection. I can't believe this highway has taken over 25 years to complete.

I always assumed that SR 46 would end at SR 641. Guess I was wrong.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on January 04, 2016, 02:21:14 PM

It will end at I-70, though, right? I think it does make sense to keep it to I-70, since it is the best route for east-bound travelers to Bloomington. I still think it's a travesty that they routed US 40 along I-70 around Terre Haute.

US 41

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 04, 2016, 10:23:43 PM

Probably not. It is still cosigned with US 40 up to Wabash / Old 40.

It will end at I-70, though, right? I think it does make sense to keep it to I-70, since it is the best route for east-bound travelers to Bloomington. I still think it's a travesty that they routed US 40 along I-70 around Terre Haute.

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on January 04, 2016, 11:30:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I read in a TH news outlet that SR 46 would eventually be truncated at I-70, but they were giving businesses along the route some time to change their materials to reflect the new address on US 40 (only). So it's still co-signed, but both 46 and 641 would end where US 40 leaves the interstate at Exit 11. Could that be?

silverback1065

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 05, 2016, 04:58:37 PM
Quote from: US 41 on January 04, 2016, 11:30:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I read in a TH news outlet that SR 46 would eventually be truncated at I-70, but they were giving businesses along the route some time to change their materials to reflect the new address on US 40 (only). So it's still co-signed, but both 46 and 641 would end where US 40 leaves the interstate at Exit 11. Could that be?

SR 46 should end at the junction at 641 when it's built.  You may be right about the designing though, when you drive that stretch, there are only 2 46 shields, at SR 42 and at the old junction with US 40. 

The Ghostbuster

Will this highway be completed anytime in the near future?

US 41

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 20, 2016, 05:53:00 PM
Will this highway be completed anytime in the near future?

It's supposed to be complete by the end of this year.

The Ghostbuster

US 41

US 41

mgk920

Avalanchez71

I can see the city wanting to stall a project.  Why would the city want a highway that bypasses a major portion of their core commercial business?  They would likely lose revenue from those unexpected consumers to those who plan on heading to the area already.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 12, 2016, 10:43:53 AM
I can see the city wanting to stall a project.  Why would the city want a highway that bypasses a major portion of their core commercial business?  They would likely lose revenue from those unexpected consumers to those who plan on heading to the area already.

I don't understand this train of logic of yours one bit.  Terre Haute, like Evansville-Henderson, is too large for any significant amount of the local economic base to be derived from the few bucks fast food joints pull in from tourists.  The economic benefit that is provided to the local commuters, as well as improving the local infrastructure to attract large employers and new business to the area far, far, far and far exceed ANY measly dollar someone from Sullivan drops at a McDonalds because it is on their way.

641 is about 30 years too late. Most of the traffic from the south, going towards Indy, is already bypassing Terre Haute on 69.  Tourist traffic coming in Terre Haute is pretty much north-south traffic on 41, and east-west traffic on 70.  641 doesn't effect this at all. The vast majority of businesses on 41 south of I-70, such as Honey Creek Mall, are destinations, and serving the local market. Trust me, business leaders in Vigo County have been supporting this fully for years.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe if SR 641 had been built decades ago, it could have looped around to reconnect with US 41 north of the city. Maybe even connect with SR 63.

Captain Jack

Seems if there was ever going to be a 41 Bypass or some type of I-41, that it would be most effective to run it south from SR 63 prior to the Wabash, down through West Terre Haute, multi-plex it with I-70 over the Wabash, then south somewhere west of the current US 41, tying in with it south of town somewhere.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Captain Jack on September 13, 2016, 11:31:39 PM
Seems if there was ever going to be a 41 Bypass or some type of I-41, that it would be most effective to run it south from SR 63 prior to the Wabash, down through West Terre Haute, multi-plex it with I-70 over the Wabash, then south somewhere west of the current US 41, tying in with it south of town somewhere.

I think that was given some consideration pre-641, but as the flood plain of the Wabash is almost entirely west of the river until you get down near I-70, there's almost no reasonable way to build a western bypass. Not at anything approaching a reasonable cost, anyway.

Interesting reading: http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3232/pdf/sim3232.pdf

US 41

Quote from: Captain Jack on September 13, 2016, 11:31:39 PM

I don't think Terre Haute will ever have a bypass for US 41 / SR 63 traffic. I think 3rd St will be as good as it gets.

The only way they could build a bypass at this point is if they started it down at Pimento, had it cut over to Prarieton, cross the river, run it northeast parallel with Darwin Rd, and have it continue up to SR 63. And who knows how much that would cost. Also it's Terre Haute and we're not a priority in Indiana. Just look at SR 641. It's taken like 13 years just to build 6 miles of highway. It would probably take them over 25 to complete a western bypass.  :banghead:

Captain Jack

My guess is the only way it happens is if there is ever a serious push to upgrade 41 between Chicago and Evansville. Even if it isn't all the way to interstate standards, I think this route should be on the short list for future endeavors by INDOT. I-65 is getting seriously congested. Once I-69 gets across the Ohio, you will be able to go from Haubstadt, IN to Nashville on an interstate quality route the entire way. That only leaves the stretch from Haubstadt to Hammond. Even if nothing more was done than get Terre Haute and Lake County bypassed, this route would become a very attractive alternative to I-65.

Some are already doing it. While vacationing around St. Petersburg last year, we met a family from Schereville, IN (Lake County). They go to Florida every year and always take US 41. They feel it is at least an hour shorter, and that's if they don't get hung up in traffic in Louisville.

lordsutch

The only option for a freeway bypass north of I-70 avoiding the floodplain route west of the city I can realistically see is maybe you could do something with the rail corridor that runs from IN 63 southeast past the power station, then turns east parallel to Fort Harrison. The trick would be getting it through the industrial area at Fort Harrison and Fruitridge; from there, getting it over to tie into IN 46/US 40 wouldn't be too hard.

You could also run it a bit further north but it'd be tricky to get it through North Terre Haute without too many residential takings, and it'd be longer of course.

At some level a shorter route via the floodplain west of the river that doesn't extend south of I-70 might actually be cheaper even though you'd have to elevate it.

Avalanchez71

If traffic is going to decrease due to I-69 opening there will be less of an incentive for US 41 to be upgraded between Lake County and Terre Haute.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 15, 2016, 04:43:25 PM
If traffic is going to decrease due to I-69 opening there will be less of an incentive for US 41 to be upgraded between Lake County and Terre Haute.

69 is taking the Evansville to Indy traffic. It has no bearing on the traffic between Terre Haute and Lake County.

The point is if US 41 was at least somewhat upgraded in Indiana, a lot of the traffic that is currently using I-65 would take this route instead, thereby increasing traffic counts on US 41, and reducing them on an ever increasingly congested I-65.

silverback1065

Quote from: Captain Jack on September 16, 2016, 10:08:11 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 15, 2016, 04:43:25 PM

69 is taking the Evansville to Indy traffic. It has no bearing on the traffic between Terre Haute and Lake County.

The point is if US 41 was at least somewhat upgraded in Indiana, a lot of the traffic that is currently using I-65 would take this route instead, thereby increasing traffic counts on US 41, and reducing them on an ever increasingly congested I-65.

Us 41 is mostly upgraded enough though.  I like to take US 52 to Us 41 to get to and from chicago. the only bad part is the lake county portion.

US 41

Honestly Terre Haute isn't that bad to drive through on 41. The only bad part is down by I-70 and the mall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.