News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 24, 2015, 09:17:33 AM
http://eastendcrossing.com/project-overview/roundabouts/

While the through portion of IN-265 (future I-265) will not be open until late 2016, the reconfigured IN-265/IN-62/10th Street/Port Road interchange is set to open next week, including the first roundabouts in this part of the state.  Will be interesting to see how much trouble this causes for people down here.

At least these are in Indiana.

(Incoming from froggie in 3, 2, 1...)  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

It's been a while but I think this fits here more. The article in question is about billboards along I-265 as one enters Indiana from the new East End Bridge, but there's a picture of a sign at the exit for Old Salem Road with what appears to be "New Albany" in Clearview font. I understand that Indiana is paying for the bridge (and the Riverfield's folks precious tunnel,) could I assume the Clearview is only because it's being built by a different group that's not INDOT (the Ohio River Bridges group.) For that matter, I wonder what the "control city" is for eastbound I-265 (I'm guessing only Interstates 64 & 71.)

http://www.newsandtribune.com/news/jeffersonville-planning-director-east-end-billboards-could-harm-image/article_68b84132-b731-11e5-aca7-43595147c8d2.html

tidecat

I would like to see I-265 East/South signed as Cincinnati/Lexington in Indiana, then just Lexington south of I-71. On the northbound side, I hope the control cities would be Cincinnati and Indianapolis.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 11, 2016, 08:56:15 PM
It's been a while but I think this fits here more. The article in question is about billboards along I-265 as one enters Indiana from the new East End Bridge, but there's a picture of a sign at the exit for Old Salem Road with what appears to be "New Albany" in Clearview font. I understand that Indiana is paying for the bridge (and the Riverfield's folks precious tunnel,) could I assume the Clearview is only because it's being built by a different group that's not INDOT (the Ohio River Bridges group.) For that matter, I wonder what the "control city" is for eastbound I-265 (I'm guessing only Interstates 64 & 71.)

http://www.newsandtribune.com/news/jeffersonville-planning-director-east-end-billboards-could-harm-image/article_68b84132-b731-11e5-aca7-43595147c8d2.html

My question about that sign is why does it say IN 265 instead of I-265?  I thought that once the new road/bridge opened, the entire road was going to become I-265.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

codyg1985

Maybe it can't be signed as such because it is a toll road?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

thefro

My guess is the exit is signed for now as IN-265 as the new I-265 segment isn't fully open.  Toll road would have nothing to do with it.  I'm not sure if they've jumped through the hoops to get all the AASHTO/FHWA approvals yet either.

I'd be very surprised if they sign I-265 in Indiana with "Cincinnati/Lexington" as control cities... it's most likely going to be "Kentucky".

silverback1065

SR 265 will disappear forever when the bridge is open.  It's just a place holder for now.  It kind of makes no sense at all since it overlaps SR 62 for its entire length, so it shouldn't be signed as 265 at all, just 62 for now.

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 12, 2016, 09:00:43 AM
Maybe it can't be signed as such because it is a toll road?

Nope.  There are interstates opened and planned as toll roads (I-355, Illinois comes to mind).  There's also plenty with toll bridges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

If New Albany is used instead of Indianapolis, I wouldn't be surprised to see Middletown, Ky., on the other sign.

We have area residents on this board. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go out and investigate what that sign says.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 12, 2016, 11:40:49 AM
SR 265 will disappear forever when the bridge is open.  It's just a place holder for now.  It kind of makes no sense at all since it overlaps SR 62 for its entire length, so it shouldn't be signed as 265 at all, just 62 for now.

SR 62 exits SR 265/Future I-265 at 10th St.  The exit shown in the photo is at a point where 62 will not be concurrent with 265.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thefro on January 12, 2016, 09:11:19 AM
My guess is the exit is signed for now as IN-265 as the new I-265 segment isn't fully open.  Toll road would have nothing to do with it.  I'm not sure if they've jumped through the hoops to get all the AASHTO/FHWA approvals yet either.

I'd be very surprised if they sign I-265 in Indiana with "Cincinnati/Lexington" as control cities... it's most likely going to be "Kentucky".

The new segment is opening all at once. 

As for the control city going the other direction, I can try to sneak out there sometime to see what it is, as hbelkins has requested.

Before I go, I'm going to put this in as my guess:

SR 265 East
To I-64/71
Louisville

tidecat

I could see Prospect possibly getting a nod since it is the first city on the Kentucky side.  I just wish Kentucky would use actual control cities in the I-265 exits on I-64.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ATLRedSoxFan

So, is I-265 supposed to completed anytime soon? One of those projects I haven't kept up with.

seicer

thefro

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on January 13, 2016, 11:34:01 PM
So, is I-265 supposed to completed anytime soon? One of those projects I haven't kept up with.

Supposed to open in late 2016 (this year).

thefro

http://www.newsandtribune.com/news/update-lewis-and-clark-bridge-name-honors-indiana-s-role/article_816700ea-e172-11e5-8d54-c7386b1bca4b.html

Has to pass the Indiana Senate yet (and be signed by the governor), but it appears the East End Bridge will be named the Lewis and Clark Bridge

I really like this name, not only for the connection to Lewis and Clark (who met and planned their expedition at the Falls of the Ohio), but also for the fact that it connects "Lewis"/Louisville to Clark County.

The Ghostbuster

It's high time the two Interstate 265's are connected at last. I believe the Indiana section of 265 predates the Kentucky section of 265, right?

seicer

At least it's not after some modern day politician or war folk (looking at you, West Virginia, who has a habit of naming every bridge, culvert and sidewalk after everyone).

Brandon

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on March 07, 2016, 07:49:29 AM
At least it's not after some modern day politician or war folk (looking at you, West Virginia, who has a habit of naming every bridge, culvert and sidewalk after everyone).

Yeah, Robert C. Byrd Bridge, Robert C. Byrd Highway, Robert C. Byrd Culvert, Robert C. Byrd Shitter, Robert C. Byrd Pothole, etc., etc.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mgk920

An article and interesting photolog in the Louisville Courier-Journal on the I-265 bridge project and the effect that it is having on the area surrounding it on the Indiana side.

http://cjky.it/1SJwmcX

I especially like the image of the real estate for sale sign - "View of bridge!"

:cool:

Mike

theline

^^ A very interesting story and a great photo gallery. Well worth the clicks.

vtk

Quote from: mgk920 on April 03, 2016, 01:40:32 PM
I especially like the image of the real estate for sale sign - "View of bridge!"

That'd be a positive selling point for me.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

GreenLanternCorps

Looked at the live camera feed today, the two ends of the roadbed are tantalizingly close to each other.  Though from this angle, it is hard to tell exactly how far apart they are...

http://eastendcrossing.com/project-overview/live-camera-feed/

GreenLanternCorps

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2016, 01:43:01 PM
It's high time the two Interstate 265's are connected at last. I believe the Indiana section of 265 predates the Kentucky section of 265, right?
It does..Makes you wonder if Kentucky was just late to the party and whether there was an original intention to connect the two or just happenstance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.