News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Extended Green/Lagging Left Intersections in Ontario

Started by MisterSG1, August 31, 2016, 10:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

The OTM officially calls such sequencing as an extended green, while the FHWA calls it a "lagging left". While yellow traps are prohibited to sequence in Ontario, lagging lefts thus can only be found at T-intersections (or when an opposing left turn is prohibited)

So how many intersections do you know which use extended greens or lagging lefts? I can only think of 3 offhand:

Lake Shore/Colborne Lodge in Toronto- Uses a fully protected lagging left for EB Lake Shore to NB Colborne Lodge

Lake Shore/Ellis in Toronto - Uses a fully protected lagging left for EB Lake Shore to NB Ellis

Lake Shore/Windermere in Toronto - Uses a LEAD-LAG fully protected left sequencing, WB Lake Shore to SB Windermere gets the leading left and EB Lake Shore to NB Windermere gets the lagging left.

These are all fully protected lefts, is there anywhere in Ontario where a protected-permissive extended green occurs in Ontario? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere but I can't remember where.

Alps

Does Ontario use the flashing yellow arrow yet? Such would allow a lag left in one direction without the "left trap" in the other.

7/8

I just found one today in Ottawa, heading SB on King Edward Ave to turn left onto Rideau St. Here's a photo of the signal head on the right lane (the left lane signal head looks identical, but the bottom arrow of course faces left):

jakeroot

Are we talking about left turns with permissive phases, or any left turn (protected and/or permissive)? Other than at T-intersections, they might also be found at intersections where one of the roads is one-way (thus there isn't any opposing left turn, and the arrow and can either lead or lag).

Over here in BC, lots of intersections have lead/lag left turns (though only at protected left turns, naturally). If the intersection has a lagging left turn, there's a "DELAYED" plaque below each "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign:

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Alps on September 01, 2016, 09:26:21 PM
Does Ontario use the flashing yellow arrow yet? Such would allow a lag left in one direction without the "left trap" in the other.

To my knowledge, Ontario doesn't use any flashing yellow arrows.  Fully permissive lefts are much more common in Ontario than they are in other US jurisdictions, which somewhat negates the need for their use here.  I know that FHWA provides updates to TAC on various changes to the USMUTCD from time to time at various TAC conferences, and that at past conferences FHWA has provided positive feedback about the FYA, however as far as I am ware, it's approval is still just interim, and it has not been formerly adopted in the TAC manual.

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2016, 12:00:38 AM
Are we talking about left turns with permissive phases, or any left turn (protected and/or permissive)? Other than at T-intersections, they might also be found at intersections where one of the roads is one-way (thus there isn't any opposing left turn, and the arrow and can either lead or lag).

Over here in BC, lots of intersections have lead/lag left turns (though only at protected left turns, naturally). If the intersection has a lagging left turn, there's a "DELAYED" plaque below each "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign:

That is not nearly as common in Ontario, however many of the traffic signals along Hwy 6 along the western side of Guelph have similar lead/lag protected phases.  In its case, the intersections weren't wide enough to permit traffic to turn simultaneously in both directions.  The intersections in Guelph aren't similarly signed with 'Delayed' tabs however.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.