I-10 bridge over Calcasieu River (Lake Charles) closer to being replaced

Started by UptownRoadGeek, August 23, 2010, 01:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

I-10 bridge closer to being replaced
"A State DOTD official told the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Thursday night that replacing the bridge is now nearer the top of the state's major project list. That's because other big projects like the Interstate 49 project have been completed."

Plans to replace I-10 bridge hit a snag
"The Louisiana Department of Transportation said before funding and construction can go forward, an environmental review must first be conducted...
...The environmental review could last two years, but DOTD officials say it's essential...
...While the environmental review is going on, local, state and federal officials will work to make sure funding for the project is all lined up.

Once it's built, the new bridge will stand 73 feet tall and would include the much-talked about Westlake overpass, which will allow residents who commute everyday to Lake Charles to get to their destination faster..."

Grzrd

"That's because other big projects like the Interstate 49 project have been completed."

Boy, you blink and Louisiana goes ahead and finishes I-49.  Wonder how quickly they will finish their section of I-69?  :sombrero:

Anthony_JK

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 23, 2010, 01:03:47 AM
I-10 bridge closer to being replaced
"A State DOTD official told the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Thursday night that replacing the bridge is now nearer the top of the state's major project list. That's because other big projects like the Interstate 49 project have been completed."

Plans to replace I-10 bridge hit a snag
"The Louisiana Department of Transportation said before funding and construction can go forward, an environmental review must first be conducted...
...The environmental review could last two years, but DOTD officials say it's essential...
...While the environmental review is going on, local, state and federal officials will work to make sure funding for the project is all lined up.

Once it's built, the new bridge will stand 73 feet tall and would include the much-talked about Westlake overpass, which will allow residents who commute everyday to Lake Charles to get to their destination faster..."

Apparantly, whomever wrote that hasn't been down US 90 between Lafayette and Morgan City.  Or...anywhere near Shreveport.

On the other hand, though, that particular bridge is long overdue for a replacement.  The bridge is near the end of its lifespan,  the approaches are way too steep, and the addition of the  interchange/overpass at Sampson Street in Westlake will definitely imporve access there, too.

There was an enviromental review that took place around 2001 or so; it reccommended that the Sampson St. overpass/interchange be built first as a stop gap until full funding to replace the bridge was found.

Anthony

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Grzrd on August 23, 2010, 10:15:22 AM
"That's because other big projects like the Interstate 49 project have been completed."

Boy, you blink and Louisiana goes ahead and finishes I-49.  Wonder how quickly they will finish their section of I-69?  :sombrero:

I hear it's already finished.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Adam Smith on August 23, 2010, 03:56:43 PM

Last I heard only the first 3 or 4 segments of I-49 "north" were completed and we all but know that I-49 "south" will not completed in our lifetimes.

Grzrd

Here is most recent estimate for I-49 north construction that I have seen:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100725/OPINION03/7250364/30-miles-of-I-49-North-could-be-opened-in-late-2013

July 25, 2010

30 miles of I-49 North could be opened in late 2013

The Times recently questioned Sherri H. LeBas, Louisiana's new Transportation and Development secretary, about the outlook for area highway projects, including Interstate 49

What is the timeline for opening at least a portion to traffic?

A 30-mile section of I-49 North between La. 1 and Louisiana Highway 168 (Segments I through B) can be opened to traffic in late 2013. The remaining two-mile segment between La. 168 and Arkansas (Segment A) can be opened after that state finishes its remaining portion of I-49 North in 2015.

Are you advocating an I-49 inner-city [Shreveport] route? If so, what is the economic reality of that route getting done in the next decade?

The inner-city route falls in the jurisdiction of the local government.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 23, 2010, 07:05:45 PM
Quote from: Adam Smith on August 23, 2010, 03:56:43 PM

Last I heard only the first 3 or 4 segments of I-49 "north" were completed and we all but know that I-49 "south" will not completed in our lifetimes.

I'm sorry, I was referencing the mythical I-69 in Louisiana, not the real-life drama that is, I-49.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Grzrd

Regarding mythical I-69, here is link to Overture of new book about I-69:

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/articles/interstate_69_the_unfinished_history_of_the_last_great_american_highway/

A Louisiana view of the myth (as interpreted by the author) in the Overture:

You have to hand it to Haynesville: The town keeps its chin up. The busted little oil boomtown in the northwest corner of Louisiana has been in decline for thirty years .... there is an excellent view of the "Welcome to Haynesville"  mural on the opposite alley wall  ... [with] ... an Interstate 69 highway shield ...

This mural, mind you,... is a good 45-minute drive from the nearest interstate – which is Interstate 20, not 69. But a town can dream. While the railroad tracks in this representation of Haynesville are a nod to the past and the present – freight trains still come through town, but they don't stop anymore – the highway totem is a tribute to an anticipated future. I-69 in this mural is like the figure of Jesus in a fresco of the second coming: the long-awaited savior that shall come one day from above to reward all who believe.

lamsalfl

I-49 south is so low on my personal priority list in this state.  The road is already 4 lanes.  I'm for continuing to upgrade everything west of Morgan City, but from Raceland to the Westbank, it's just not up there with me.  Just some bypasses around the towns would be fine with me until we finished other more important needs.  In no particular order here is my wishlist that ranks above the eastern part of I-49 south:

- Six-laning I-10 from Baton Rouge to Kenner, and the last 7 miles from Slidell to the Mississippi State Line.
- Six-laning I-12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell (although some parts in BR are finished).
- Completely tearing up and rebuilding I-610 as that road is horrid, including the overpasses.
- Construction of a northern bypass of Baton Rouge.
- New four lane from Alexandria to Natchez (although a greater I-14 from Austin to Augusta, GA would be my grand plan.
- New Mississippi Bridge at Chalmette to carry an I-510 extension.
- Some sort of resolution on both ends of the Earhart Expressway to make it a more useful road.
- Would require land reclamation like Orleans Parish, but construction of a Lakeshore Dr. (like in Orleans) for Jefferson Parish to assist in sorely needed east-west help.
- Full I-10/610 connections.
- Construction of the long touted Florida Avenue Expressway.
- Conversion of US 61 and 425 into a Baton Rouge-Monroe freeway.
- New freeway from the Houma/Thibodaux area to the Gramercy bridge and I-10.

eXfaktor

Quote from: lamsalfl on August 26, 2010, 03:39:47 AM
I-49 south is so low on my personal priority list in this state.  The road is already 4 lanes.  I'm for continuing to upgrade everything west of Morgan City, but from Raceland to the Westbank, it's just not up there with me.  Just some bypasses around the towns would be fine with me until we finished other more important needs.  In no particular order here is my wishlist that ranks above the eastern part of I-49 south:

- Six-laning I-10 from Baton Rouge to Kenner, and the last 7 miles from Slidell to the Mississippi State Line.
(try settling for six lanes all the way to Exit 187, US 61/Gramercy/Sorrento, everything southward to I-310 might be a hard sell)
- Six-laning I-12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell (although some parts in BR are finished).
- Completely tearing up and rebuilding I-610 as that road is horrid, including the overpasses.
- Construction of a northern bypass of Baton Rouge.  X-(
(Local resistance is slowly but surely choking the life out of this once glamorous vision)
- New four lane from Alexandria to Natchez (although a greater I-14 from Austin to Augusta, GA would be my grand plan.
- New Mississippi Bridge at Chalmette to carry an I-510 extension.
- Some sort of resolution on both ends of the Earhart Expressway to make it a more useful road.
- Would require land reclamation like Orleans Parish, but construction of a Lakeshore Dr. (like in Orleans) for Jefferson Parish to assist in sorely needed east-west help.
- Full I-10/610 connections.
- Construction of the long touted Florida Avenue Expressway.
- Conversion of US 61 and 425 into a Baton Rouge-Monroe freeway.  :hmmm: (but US 61 is so country.. I, I mean, "historic")
:happy:- New freeway from the Houma/Thibodaux area to the Gramercy bridge and I-10.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
(THIS WOULD BE THE MOST AWESOMEST FANTABULOUS ROAD PROJECT EVER!!! Sensitive wetlands would be only issue, though)

UptownRoadGeek

I would be content with I-10 only being widened to Sorrento if we could get I-12 six-laned from end to end. I would really like to see I-10 six-laned from Texas to Mississippi, with I-12 picking up the slack between Baton Rouge and Slidell since it acts as the through route anyway. OTOH, the spillway will have to come down one day so we can dream. Right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.