Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

I'm down in NC at the moment and have been through a few intersections with these lights. It looks like it provides a similar traffic control pattern that "doghouse" style signals do, but for dedicated protected left turn lanes. I haven't seen any in NJ yet even thought they are apparently installed there somewhere, I guess I should look for the accident debris. Anyone else see these signals pop up in their neighborhood?

Brandon

No, IDiOT does not use the flashing yellow arrow.  I wish they would.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

rawmustard

Michigan's had them for about five years now. MDOT's first install of the FYA was near the end of 2006 at Lansing and Canal roads near the State Secondary Complex, but Oakland and Macomb counties had started using them before that. They've been appearing as signals have undergone routine replacement.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

OracleUsr

I live and work in NC, and there's one of these newfangled signals at the road for my workplace.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Brandon

Quote from: rawmustard on June 17, 2010, 11:28:09 AM
Michigan's had them for about five years now. MDOT's first install of the FYA was near the end of 2006 at Lansing and Canal roads near the State Secondary Complex, but Oakland and Macomb counties had started using them before that. They've been appearing as signals have undergone routine replacement.

MDOT's been replacing the flashing red balls for left turn signals with them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

xcellntbuy

This flashing yellow arrow was tried at two intersections in Coral Springs, FL and both have been removed.  The experiment was not well received.

froggie

Minnesota only has one that I'm aware of, at MN 110/MN 149.

Virginia's not just limited to US 60.  There are also a few in Alexandria.

Haven't seen any in DC, but I know of at least two locations in DC that have a flashing yellow RIGHT arrow...

deathtopumpkins

I saw (and photographed, though you can't tell) a few on the Outer Banks in NC last summer, but that's all I've seen. I guess when I go to Busch Gardens I should get off the I-64 connected more often!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadfro

Nevada has two installations in Carson City. These are located on Fairview Drive (Temporary US 395/US 50) and have been there since at least September 2009 when I saw them.  As far as I'm aware, there are currently no other FYA installations in Nevada--but NDOT has a webpage that indicates more jurisdictions in the state will be implementing FYA in the future.

EDIT: There's actually at least three installations in Carson City. Another one is at William Street (SR 530/former US 50) and Stewart Street (SR 520), which I just saw for the first time this morning (6/22). Unlike the other installations, this one only has FYAs on the William Street approaches--interesting because this signal is sandwiched between two other signals on William Street that use 5-section doghouses for the PPLT.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bickendan

Oregon has at least one intersection with them -- NE Sandy Blvd at NE 28th Ave in Portland.

golden eagle

Scott5114

Never seen any in Oklahoma. Norman, in particular, loves its doghouse signals.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jjakucyk

I get the feeling it'll be a while before they show up here in Ohio.  In fact, ODOT still doesn't want to acknowledge the requirement for red arrows.  They installed new signals on US-52 east of Cincinnati back in April, and the protected left still uses a red ball and "Left Turn Signal" / "Left on Green Arrow Only" signs.  It's not even LED either! 

roadfro

Quote from: Bickendan on June 17, 2010, 06:52:27 PM
Oregon has at least one intersection with them -- NE Sandy Blvd at NE 28th Ave in Portland.

Oregon should have a lot of FYA's. They were one of the first states to do widespread implementation under the FHWA's experimentation process and subsequent interim approval of FYA.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Duke87

Connecticut doesn't even use red left turn arrows, let alone flashing yellow ones. :-/ Our protected-only left turn signals go green arrow, yellow arrow... red ball. Yeah.

I can only think of one place in the state that I've ever seen red left turn arrows, and it's a municipal job (Dock Street here in Stamford).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on June 17, 2010, 11:00:19 AM

There may be one or two appearing somewhat soon as an experiment, I think in the Peoria area (overheard this from university staff not too long ago).

There's many new ones popping up in Missouri.  Locations I can think of are on US 50 in California (the Missouri town, not the state), MO 340 a short distance west of I-270, and I think some were supposed to pop up in St. Charles County and on US 67 in northern St. Louis County.

Kentucky had a bunch on US 60 heading into Frankfort from Exit 58 on I-64.

FreewayDan

LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

route56

There are 8 intersections in Lawrence that use the flashing yellow arrow.

The first installation, at 19th and Louisiana, was activated in October of 2008. Traffic on Louisiana has a flashing yellow arrow. Traffic on 19th had a protected-only signal which, interestingly enough, uses a circular red instead of a red arrow.

Next up were 33rd and Iowa, 34th and Iowa, and 31st and a unnamed access road. On the latter, it replaced a previous protected-only signal. 6th and Congressional was turned up as a FYA intersection, then 6th and Stoneridge was changed from protected-only to FYA, followed by a a similar change at 9th and Iowa.

The newest intersection, N. 2nd and Locust, was part of a ARRA reconstruction project that added a turn lane on N. 2nd. IIRC, the plans for this intersection origionally called for a "doghouse" signal for the new left turn lanes. In fact, "Left Turn Yield on Green" signs were placed, but were removed before the new left-turn signals were placed in operation.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 18, 2010, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 17, 2010, 11:00:19 AM

There may be one or two appearing somewhat soon as an experiment, I think in the Peoria area (overheard this from university staff not too long ago).

We'll see if and when it finally reaches IDOT District 1.  District 1 (McHenry, Lake, Kane, DuPage, Cook, & Will Counties) tends to go its own way in the state and has differing standards to the downstate districts.

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

PAHighways

I haven't found nor heard of any.

It would probably just lead to more problems, and I'm sure I would get a flood of complaints.

Mr_Northside

Yeah... PA doesn't seem to be a state to jump on the latest "bandwagon"s (so to speak)

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.