News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Barack Obama Highway

Started by Mike_OH, October 31, 2014, 04:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_OH

An Ohio state senator has proposed renaming Cincinnati's Norwood Lateral (OH 562) as the Barack Obama Norwood Lateral Highway citing the fact that Hamilton County was won by Obama both times and Cincinnati already has a Ronald Reagan Highway.

I think it is WAY too soon to start naming highways after Obama.  I don't recall an expressway being named after a sitting president, especially when the expressway is not in that president's home town.  They should at least wait until he's out of office a few years.  Presidents are always more popular several years after they leave office.  I'm sure it's no coincidence that this state senator is a Democrat, African American, and leaving office after this election due to term limits.

Stephane Dumas

I agree it's way too soon.

Since it's in Cincinnati, how about naming it for William Howard Taft (and there was once a cancelled expressway planned to got that name http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/never-built.html) or one of his 2 sons Robert Taft and Charles Phelps Taft?

GCrites

I prefer it if the person the road is named after has something to do with the road -- which means Reagan should just be OH-126.

ARMOURERERIC

US71

Quote from: Mike_OH on October 31, 2014, 04:13:38 PM
An Ohio state senator has proposed renaming Cincinnati's Norwood Lateral (OH 562) as the Barack Obama Norwood Lateral Highway citing the fact that Hamilton County was won by Obama both times and Cincinnati already has a Ronald Reagan Highway.

I think it is WAY too soon to start naming highways after Obama.  I don't recall an expressway being named after a sitting president, especially when the expressway is not in that president's home town.  They should at least wait until he's out of office a few years.  Presidents are always more popular several years after they leave office.  I'm sure it's no coincidence that this state senator is a Democrat, African American, and leaving office after this election due to term limits.
What about a Congressman, like Wilbur D Mills or Prissy Hickerson?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DeaconG

Quote from: US71 on October 31, 2014, 05:48:25 PM
Quote from: Mike_OH on October 31, 2014, 04:13:38 PM

What about a Congressman, like Wilbur D Mills or Prissy Hickerson?

A Mills-Foxe Expressway would work for me! :-D :spin:
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

froggie

Not a fan of naming infrastructure after politicians, period...

skluth

Quote from: DeaconG on October 31, 2014, 07:00:18 PM

Let's just name it after Fanne Foxe. Or if you name an expressway for Mills, it should terminate at the Tidal Basin Bombshell interchange.   :wow:

DeaconG

Quote from: skluth on November 03, 2014, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on October 31, 2014, 07:00:18 PM

Let's just name it after Fanne Foxe. Or if you name an expressway for Mills, it should terminate at the Tidal Basin Bombshell interchange.   :wow:

Someone remembered! :-D :clap:
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DevalDragon

I am quite happy with the Norwood Lateral name.

Then again, I liked the Cross County Highway (OH 126) as well.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2014, 10:10:36 AM
I gotta agree with you on that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sandwalk

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 30, 2014, 02:32:36 AM
Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2014, 10:10:36 AM
I gotta agree with you on that.

Exactly! And besides, there are a disproportionate amount of highways named after Reagan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.