News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

KY 645 eastern extension?

Started by Bitmapped, February 01, 2015, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

I noticed on Google Maps that an eastern extension of KY 645 appears to be under construction near Inez. (See http://goo.gl/maps/clLEn.)  Does KYTC plan to extend the road over to the state line to connect with US 52? 

NE2

I looked for info about this a while ago and couldn't find much, only details about a *western* extension to I-64.

But here's a map of the whole route to Warfield: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151559700729410.1073741875.323677299409&type=3
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

hbelkins

I posted a photo back several months ago that one of the engineers in the Pikeville office took of a rainbow over a newly paved road. That was beyond the bridge where the route crosses existing KY 40. That road will probably open up to a new high school for Martin County before it's completed all the way to Warfield.

There is a planning study underway concerning the possible extension of the Industrial Parkway (KY 67) to intersect US 23 and KY 645.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

That flyover at KY 3/645 was sure a surprise when I was driving through there back in 2011.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

keithvh

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 02, 2015, 05:57:28 PM
That flyover at KY 3/645 was sure a surprise when I was driving through there back in 2011.

It surprised me too when I was there (in 2012) ..... but after I looked at maps and thought about it, it makes sense. 

US-52 is a slog through basically all of West Virginia, an absolutely awful highway for getting anywhere fast.  Traffic from southwestern/southern WV that is Huntington-bound can swing on over to the US-23 corridor a bit earlier, as opposed to waiting until Louisa.

Also helps with the Paintsville/Prestonburg to WV traffic.

hbelkins

That flyover strikes me as one of the biggest wastes of money ever to be wasted on road construction in Kentucky.

I can't remember for certain if, prior to that flyover being built, there was a traffic light at that intersection or if there was merely a stop sign for northbound KY 3. I'm sure the flyover was built to eliminate the possibility of wrecks if a car trying to stay on KY 3 turned in front of a vehicle heading down the hill and west on 645.

Addendum: Google Street View from 2007 shows that KY 3 traffic stopped. Seems like a cheaper alternative than building that flyover would have been to install a traffic signal with a "Prepare To Stop When Flashing" warning well in advance of the light, and then a lengthy all-red phase to ensure that any red-light runners were through the intersection before the light for northbound KY 3 traffic turned green.

If I'm headed to the Logan area, my preferred route is KY 3 to Inez and then KY 40 over to Warfield/Kermit, then US 52 and WV 65 over to US 119. If I want US 52, I don't go to Pikeville and then over to Williamson. I stay on WV 65 to the Naugatuck area and then hit US 52. Or, I'll take WV 10 from Logan to Man and then WV 80 to connect with US 52 at Gilbert.

NE2

Better than a flyover or a traffic light: a roundabout.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

NE2

froggie

Statistically, yes (even for trucks).  But you gotta remember that HBE has a pathological hatred of roundabouts.

Dug through photos and can confirm that, in 2005, both 3/645 junctions were 2-way stop control with the stop control on KY 3 and no stop signs for KY 645 traffic.

hbelkins

Even though I am not a fan of roundabouts, I'm not sure one would work there. The issue, which probably precluded a signal there, is the downhill grade on westbound 645. If trucks would have trouble stopping for a red light, they'd have just about as much trouble getting slowed down to the 15 mph that would be required for a roundabout. And the pavement would probably need to be replaced with concrete to prevent washboarding.

Another less expensive alternative would have been to close off the left lane approaching the intersection and having all through traffic use the right lane, then have traffic turning left to stay on northbound 3 turn into the left lane.

Duke87

I'm okay with roundabouts on low and mid speed roads but here we're taking about a road with a 55 MPH limit that is underposted as such (and indeed would be 65 in nearby WV). Funneling that traffic through a roundabout is just asking for its own set of problems, since you have a driver expectation issue and people won't slow down enough for it because it'd be one random slow spot on an otherwise wide open high speed road.

It seems to me that just giving left turning traffic a couple of channelized lanes would have been perfectly workable. Dunno why they didn't just do that, other than perhaps concern at all the trucks merging in from the left.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteI'm okay with roundabouts on low and mid speed roads but here we're taking about a road with a 55 MPH limit that is underposted as such (and indeed would be 65 in nearby WV).

Not as designed.  If this were WV, the roadway would be fully divided instead of having a flush median.  In that case, it'd be 65.  As it exists, 55 is correct.

QuoteFunneling that traffic through a roundabout is just asking for its own set of problems, since you have a driver expectation issue and people won't slow down enough for it because it'd be one random slow spot on an otherwise wide open high speed road.

MnDOT has a set of roundabouts on a 60 MPH road (MN 7 west of the Metro), and things operate fine.  That said, because of the vertical topography as noted previously, HB's suggestion would be more appropriate.

seicer

Parts of W.Va's Corridor G/US 119 have curb medians yet have 65 MPH limits (http://goo.gl/maps/TQ80i). It was much more noticeable until the pavement creeped up to the top of the curb line.

froggie

I would consider that the exception rather than the rule with WVDOH.

bugo

When it's finished, it should receive an interstate designation.

bugo

codyg1985

Quote from: bugo on February 05, 2015, 02:59:28 AM
When it's finished, it should receive an interstate designation.

I-173?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bitmapped

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on February 04, 2015, 08:54:34 AM
Parts of W.Va's Corridor G/US 119 have curb medians yet have 65 MPH limits (http://goo.gl/maps/TQ80i). It was much more noticeable until the pavement creeped up to the top of the curb line.

The closest comparable stretches of road in WV, in having a flush paved median, would be parts of WV 2 north of New Martinsville and US 219/US 250 between Elkins and Beverly.  Here, WVDOH used a two-way center turn lane rather than KYTC's indeterminate striping.  WVDOH has these stretches posted for 55mph.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.