News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-70/I-79 Interchange Reconfiguration to Begin Next Year

Started by PAHighways, July 01, 2010, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

It has been a long time in coming, but the kamikaze curve that greets drivers on I-79 northbound at I-70 will soon be no more.  Next year, work will begin on reconfiguring the interchange east of Washington which have a fly-over ramp in place of the loop.

State plans 'killer curve' project expected to cost millions, begin next year - Washington Observer-Reporter

rickmastfan67

About time that they do this.  This ramp has always annoyed me from the first time I traveled it with the family.  I could somewhat live with the 270 turn, but the part that really annoyed me is the lack of a third lane for I-79 NB traffic joining I-70 WB.  If there is a lot of traffic on I-70 there when you try to merge, you pretty much have to come to a complete stop, and when you do, it makes it almost impossible to get enough speed to merge into the main lanes because that onramp lane is extremely short.  That in itself is a major safety hazzard.

Mr_Northside

In that regard, what they really need next (but probably will never have the $$$ for, at least in the foreseeable future) is for the 70/79 duplex to have 3 lanes in each direction.  Not necessarily just for additional traffic volume, but the close proximity of the Washington exits (1 being that cloverleaf)... In fact, it's an area where there are signs indicating that "Thru Traffic" should use the left lane (as opposed to the general notion of "Keep right except to pass"). 

QuoteThe first phase is being done to address safety issues to deal with the worst traffic flow at the interchange. PennDOT will look at fixing other deficiencies based on the availability of money.
I also wouldn't be surprised if just this flyover ramp is all we see done in the near future as well...  Since most of PennDOT's $$$ is for maintenance/rehab these days (Which would also included the bridges associated in this interchange "project").  Though this is obviously the most needed part of the interchange... so good for PennDOT.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Buummu

map of the proposed interchange reconfiguration?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 10:41:38 PM
map of the proposed interchange reconfiguration?

I haven't seen one yet personally.

Buummu

yeah.. ok i just wondered.. i am sure there is a map of it somewhere..

Mr_Northside

I thought this interchange project might have had it's own forum page.... But I couldn't find one (at least not fast enough), so I'll just post this here:

New I-79 ramp to open Saturday in Washington County
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 15, 2013, 02:45:36 PM
I thought this interchange project might have had it's own forum page.... But I couldn't find one (at least not fast enough), so I'll just post this here:

New I-79 ramp to open Saturday in Washington County

Never thought I'd see the day.  Sounds like they got this done quickly.  Might have to make sure I go that way around Christmas to see what they did.

rickmastfan67

This is great news! :clap: I have always hated that 270 loop and almost nonexistent acceleration lane from it.

The only downside is we lose the only remaining Button Copy mainline signs on I-79 left (not counting the few on the I-70/I-79 multiplex). :(

MASTERNC

Another article with a photo.  The ramp is much grander (read: taller, sweeping) than I would have expected.

Highway flyover ramp to open this evening

froggie

QuoteThe only downside is we lose the only remaining Button Copy mainline signs on I-79 left (not counting the few on the I-70/I-79 multiplex).

Eye of the beholder.  Some people don't see this as a "downside", especially in light of the obvious benefits of the new flyover.

Bitmapped

Quote from: froggie on November 20, 2013, 10:21:10 AM
QuoteThe only downside is we lose the only remaining Button Copy mainline signs on I-79 left (not counting the few on the I-70/I-79 multiplex).

Eye of the beholder.  Some people don't see this as a "downside", especially in light of the obvious benefits of the new flyover.

The old button-copy signage wasn't in the greatest shape.  As someone who drives through this interchange fairly frequently, I'd much rather have the flyover than some old signage.

mgk920

Google aerial image of the area, it looks like it was shot this past summer:

http://goo.gl/maps/lwXDY

(check out the traffic on the old loop ramp!   :wow: )

Enjoy!

:cool:

Mike

txstateends

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 16, 2013, 10:22:31 AM
Another article with a photo.  The ramp is much grander (read: taller, sweeping) than I would have expected.

Highway flyover ramp to open this evening

Are there other interchanges that do what this one will now do (right to go left, left to go right)?  I figured there might be, but it didn't hit me about this one till I saw the pic.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

ARMOURERERIC

I wonder if this project was designed to with future ramp updates, like a WB to SB flyunder  in mind

Bitmapped

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 24, 2013, 02:47:29 PM
I wonder if this project was designed to with future ramp updates, like a WB to SB flyunder  in mind

There's nothing in the new ramp's design that prevents this, but there's also no real demand for realigning the WB to SB ramp.  It's a low volume move.  Upgrading EB to SB so it has a higher design speed would be much more useful.

Mr_Northside

Had occasion to use the new ramp today.  Not surprisingly, it was a VAST improvement. 

Also, PennDOT opted for monotube structures, like the PTC has been using for years (though these were unpainted), for the new overhead signs on NB I-79 leading up to the interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.