News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 Hamilton County, Indiana

Started by mukade, December 19, 2010, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Not that INDOT marks it. There are plenty of Indianapolis signs on I-65 and I-70 when you're well within the city limits.

silverback1065

The BGS has been fixed and the correct exit numbers are now showing.  I drove the route Friday, things are really coming along. 

mukade

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 04, 2014, 10:26:25 AM
Quote from: mukade on December 04, 2014, 06:01:46 AM
If I understand your comment right, guidelines trump reality? This section of US 412 would also be "wrong": https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1952949,-94.9452078,10z?
Yes. It should probably be marked as an expressway from the I-44 interchange to the east end of the Cherokee Turnpike, but that would be hard to get approved with as many at-grade intersection as there are. The Goog's priorities really don't apply well to the west and midwest where it isn't worth grade-separating every section line road that has a dozen people living off of it, or building frontage roads for farm driveways with an AADT in the single digits.
QuoteSo how do weird errors keep coming back? Two examples are US 24 from Antwerp to Defiance. This has gone back and forth between freeway and non freeway more than once. It is not a freeway, but it is shown in orange. Compare that to real sections of freeway that are not shown in orange (for example, the ones like US 31 Kokomo which once was shown in orange and others cited in this thread).
US 24 is marked as an expressway from the first at-grade intersection eastward, which is correct. Expressway and freeway both show up in orange, though expressways were yellow for quite a while when they made the change to make arterials white instead of light yellow.
QuoteAnother example is US 52 in Lafayette is another one that is confounding. That route follows Teal Road and the US 231 bypass, not Sagamore Parkway. I am pretty sure it has been shown right in the past, but it is back to being wrong.
There's something corrupt internally that is preventing that getting fixed. Tried to fix that when I fixed IN 25, but it wouldn't submit. it's been reported, so it might get fixed sometime this millennium.
QuoteSo back to US 31 - it is great that Gmaps beats everyone with timely updates, but what are even more important things are accuracy and consistency. It seems like some subjective guidelines trump reality. I'm not talking about errors like we see with Old Meridian. That seems to have been fixed already as noted.
What difference does it make in your driving life if 11 miles of the road is orange vs. yellow? Either way it's obvious that it is the primary N/S route, and directions are going to send you over it. Consistency with the rest of US 31 means it should stay yellow.

When I read this post a few months ago, I was dumbfounded. It seemed inconceivable that what exists in reality is not what GMaps wants to show. Refelecting reality is a reasonable goal when it comes to maps, and is simpler because you don't end up with near as many subjective, inconsistent decisions.

Since that post in December, it does look like GMaps made that section of US 412 (not a freeway) and a large section of US 24 in Ohio (not a freeway) orange. They have US 31 in Hamilton County which is two lanes with a stoplight and at least one curb cut orange. While it seems obvious to me US 31 around Kokomo should be put back to orange, I guess that is not what is going to happen. Maybe they need another color to represent grades of roads.

Anyway, if the US 412 and US 24 logic win the day, then why are these not orange?:
- US 31 from US 30 south to US 24 (or even the southern junction of BR 31)
- Hoosier Heartland corridor: SR 25 from I-65 to US 35/US 24 from the same spot all the way to SR 9 in Huntington
- US 30 from I-469 to Bucyrus
- Illinois 110 (336) from I-172 to Macomb
and I am sure many more.

All of those are expressways (few traffic lights and no curb cuts)

And yes, they still are confounded by the actual routing of US 52 in Lafayette so they're leaving it wrong.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on March 01, 2015, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on December 04, 2014, 10:26:25 AM
Quote from: mukade on December 04, 2014, 06:01:46 AM
If I understand your comment right, guidelines trump reality? This section of US 412 would also be "wrong": https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1952949,-94.9452078,10z?
Yes. It should probably be marked as an expressway from the I-44 interchange to the east end of the Cherokee Turnpike, but that would be hard to get approved with as many at-grade intersection as there are. The Goog's priorities really don't apply well to the west and midwest where it isn't worth grade-separating every section line road that has a dozen people living off of it, or building frontage roads for farm driveways with an AADT in the single digits.
QuoteSo how do weird errors keep coming back? Two examples are US 24 from Antwerp to Defiance. This has gone back and forth between freeway and non freeway more than once. It is not a freeway, but it is shown in orange. Compare that to real sections of freeway that are not shown in orange (for example, the ones like US 31 Kokomo which once was shown in orange and others cited in this thread).
US 24 is marked as an expressway from the first at-grade intersection eastward, which is correct. Expressway and freeway both show up in orange, though expressways were yellow for quite a while when they made the change to make arterials white instead of light yellow.
QuoteAnother example is US 52 in Lafayette is another one that is confounding. That route follows Teal Road and the US 231 bypass, not Sagamore Parkway. I am pretty sure it has been shown right in the past, but it is back to being wrong.
There's something corrupt internally that is preventing that getting fixed. Tried to fix that when I fixed IN 25, but it wouldn't submit. it's been reported, so it might get fixed sometime this millennium.
QuoteSo back to US 31 - it is great that Gmaps beats everyone with timely updates, but what are even more important things are accuracy and consistency. It seems like some subjective guidelines trump reality. I'm not talking about errors like we see with Old Meridian. That seems to have been fixed already as noted.
What difference does it make in your driving life if 11 miles of the road is orange vs. yellow? Either way it's obvious that it is the primary N/S route, and directions are going to send you over it. Consistency with the rest of US 31 means it should stay yellow.

When I read this post a few months ago, I was dumbfounded. It seemed inconceivable that what exists in reality is not what GMaps wants to show. Refelecting reality is a reasonable goal when it comes to maps, and is simpler because you don't end up with near as many subjective, inconsistent decisions.

Since that post in December, it does look like GMaps made that section of US 412 (not a freeway) and a large section of US 24 in Ohio (not a freeway) orange. They have US 31 in Hamilton County which is two lanes with a stoplight and at least one curb cut orange. While it seems obvious to me US 31 around Kokomo should be put back to orange, I guess that is not what is going to happen. Maybe they need another color to represent grades of roads.

Anyway, if the US 412 and US 24 logic win the day, then why are these not orange?:
- US 31 from US 30 south to US 24 (or even the southern junction of BR 31)
- Hoosier Heartland corridor: SR 25 from I-65 to US 35/US 24 from the same spot all the way to SR 9 in Huntington
- US 30 from I-469 to Bucyrus
- Illinois 110 (336) from I-172 to Macomb
and I am sure many more.

All of those are expressways (few traffic lights and no curb cuts)

And yes, they still are confounded by the actual routing of US 52 in Lafayette so they're leaving it wrong.

I've been trying to get the 52 error fixed for months, but they refuse to let it go through.  Now i'm getting bs errors like "failed geodata" or "unexpected error"

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 01, 2015, 02:46:39 PM
I've been trying to get the 52 error fixed for months, but they refuse to let it go through.  Now i'm getting bs errors like "failed geodata" or "unexpected error"

I sympathize - somehow that SR 25 section southwest of town was messed up when I tried to change it. The part west of US 231 needed to stay marked as SR 25 and the part east needed to be marked US 52. The way they have (or had) it was all or nothing. So no matter what you tried to do, it would be wrong. I also tried to get SR 25, SR 26, SR 43, etc. changed many times even supplying photographs. They were either rejected or ignored. MapMaker was a great idea that was very poorly executed by Google.

One last question I have on Google's logic: US 31 from Indianapolis north into Michigan is a major highway. Period. Part of it in Hamilton County north of I-465 where it is under construction (still, four lanes, however) is marked in yellow, but the two lane section from SR 32 to SR 38 is marked in orange. Random. I could see two approaches that make sense:
- Mark all major routes in orange irrespective of grade of the class of the highway, but who defines what major means?
- Mark freeway-standard sections of any road in orange even if they are disconnected from any other freeways

dfwmapper

Currently, anything marked as a freeway or an expressway is orange. There is nothing on the main map to distinguish between them. Here are the guidelines for an expressway:
QuoteExpressways

Expressways are high quality roads with few intersections that usually traverse an entire region. These roads are usually quite broad and can be easily identified when zoomed out in satellite imagery.

How to identify an expressway:

• Accessible from both Ramps and intersections, although intersections should be relatively rare and widely spaced.
  • Walking or biking not allowed, except in rare cases such as California in the U.S.
  • Either single or dual carriageway depending on the country.
US 31 between 116th and 216th and Keystone Parkway from I-465 to US 31 are marked as expressways. US 31 could probably be marked that way all the way to I-465, and probably will be once all the work is done. The portion between IN 32 and IN 38 was 4 lanes and will be again once construction is finished, just down to 2 temporarily so they can repave it, at least from what I remember of the project details.

US 24 in western Ohio is an expressway.

412 is marked as a freeway, which is wrong for part of it. I tried twice to make everything from I-44 to the east end of the Cherokee Turnpike expressway, and Google idiots denied it and made it freeway instead. Lacking sufficient fucks to try again.

US 31 between US 30 and US 24 and US 24/IN 25 are both borderline, and probably on the wrong side of the border. Not enough ramps, and too many intersections, especially around the cities.

US 30 between I-469 and Bucyrus, should be an expressway. Submitted that, let's see what happens.

IL 110 - was waiting for the Macomb bypass to be finished to do that.

We've all been trying to get US 52 fixed for months. There's so much messed up behind the scenes with numbered highways right now. IN 25, 26, and 43 are all now correct I believe. For some definition of correct, anyway, randomly dropping long-distance routes within city limits without requiring the city to maintain through signage kind of defeats the purpose of numbering highways in the first place. Fuck INDOT.

Several of us have asked for a redefinition of expressway to more accurately reflect the type of roads that are actually built in most places in North America where they don't necessarily care about closing off access to some random farm driveways because the traffic volumes are so low. Google seems happy with their current definition, even though it severely limits the number of roads that can actually use it and gives too little differentiation between a high speed 4 lane divided rural highway and a 2 lane 25mph road running through some city's downtown, that just happens to be a US highway.

silverback1065

dfwmapper

silverback1065

dfwmapper

NE2

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 02, 2015, 06:13:40 AM
  • Walking or biking not allowed, except in rare cases such as California in the U.S.
This could be a problem. The vast majority of surface expressways in the U.S. do allow biking. Picking random examples: Corridor H (signed as a bike route), all of them in Iowa (only the freeways marked with alternating red and white ban bikes).

What surface expressways are actually tagged on the Goog? I see Avenue of the Saints, a number in Wisconsin, US 61 in Iowa, US 101 and SR 86 in California, SH 288 from Houston to Angleton (though this might be mistagged as a full freeway), and SR 161-16 from Columbus to Trinway (ditto). To the best of my knowledge, all of these are open to bikes. The only one that comes to mind that definitely bans bikes is US 301 in eastern Maryland (which is tagged as a normal surface road).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

US 31 between 116th and 216th and Keystone Parkway from I-465 to US 31 are marked as expressways. US 31 could probably be marked that way all the way to I-465, and probably will be once all the work is done. The portion between IN 32 and IN 38 was 4 lanes and will be again once construction is finished, just down to 2 temporarily so they can repave it, at least from what I remember of the project details.
It requires a little more than repaving, but you are generally right.

US 24 in western Ohio is an expressway.
I agree, it is an expressway, but it certainly does not meet "accessible from both ramps and intersections, although intersections should be relatively rare and widely spaced".

US 31 between US 30 and US 24 and US 24/IN 25 are both borderline, and probably on the wrong side of the border. Not enough ramps, and too many intersections, especially around the cities.
US 31 and US 24 are borderline as they do not meet the standard cited above (as are expressways in most states). SR 25 is not borderline. It is clearly a high grade expressway with numerous overpasses (more overpasses + interchanges than at-grade intersections).

IL 110 - was waiting for the Macomb bypass to be finished to do that.
It still could be marked to Macomb today even though it also fails to meet the "accessible from both ramps and intersections, although intersections should be relatively rare and widely spaced" standard.

How many other map makers have adopted the idea that a freeway or expressway must be connected to other freeways/expressways? I have seen none. Whose idea was that?

NE2

SR 25 only has that many overpasses because of the railroad.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

There is other stuff to the guidelines, like consistency with other portions of the road, which have been communicated in the past as not wanting little bits of orange floating around when zoomed way out. Specifically cited examples include cases like US 31 around Kokomo and similar where a a road is upgraded to an expressway or freeway for a bypass of a town but is otherwise disconnected from anything else high priority.

Roads currently marked as expressways, right or wrong, are WA 522 between I-405 and US 2, WA 509 between I-5 and I-705, WA 500 from I-5 to past I-205, US 395 between Pasco and I-90, CA 149 south of Chico, CA 99/70 between Sacramento and Yuba City, portions of CA 4 from I-80 east to where the freeway begins, various bits of US 101 between Gilroy and Santa Barbara, CA 198 between CA 99 and Lemoore NAS, the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield, CA 90 west of I-405, CA 71 between CA 60 and I-10, CA 60 between Moreno Valley and Beaumont, CA 86 south from I-10, CA 78/111 Brawley bypass to I-8, the north part of the Las Vegas beltway, UT 7, US 34 east of Loveland (WTF), US 85 from I-70 north, Northwest Parkway, US 6 from CO 58 to I-70, a bit of US 285 west of US 85, a bit of US 85 south of CO 470 (another WTF), everything orange in Colorado Springs except I-25 (fucking Colorado, someone made a mess), a bit of US 50 in Pueblo, NM 599/US 84 around Santa Fe, parts of I-69W and Loop 20 in Laredo, one of the bridges in McAllen, Loop 288 between the freeway portions, US 90A between I-610 and the tollway, part of TX 99 on the east side of Houston, US 287 between I-35W and Rhome, only part of Loop 288 for some reason, US 70 bypass of Durant, Wisconsin has a bunch (US 53, WI 29, US 10, US 151, WI 23, US 141, WI 26), US 61 south of Dubuque, a bit of FL 407, the toll lanes on I-595 (?), FL 878, US 278 on Hilton Head, Sugarloaf Parkway, a bit of US 74 in NC, US 421 southeast of Greensboro, NJ 4/208, NJ 17, the Taconic State Parkway, MA 2, a couple of the expressways in Buffalo, several of the expressways in Ohio. A lot of the Mexican toll toads are too. Not easy to search, it involves doing a lot of dragging around the map.

NE2

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 03, 2015, 05:40:54 AM
There is other stuff to the guidelines, like consistency with other portions of the road, which have been communicated in the past as not wanting little bits of orange floating around when zoomed way out.
If they want to do that, they can run an algorithm to eliminate disconnected segments. Or just show only Interstates (when you zoom waaay out Florida's Turnpike disappears...)

mukade

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 08:10:23 PM
SR 25 only has that many overpasses because of the railroad.

Correct, but the why doesn't matter. It is an expressway.

mukade

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 03, 2015, 05:40:54 AM
There is other stuff to the guidelines, like consistency with other portions of the road, which have been communicated in the past as not wanting little bits of orange floating around when zoomed way out. Specifically cited examples include cases like US 31 around Kokomo and similar where a a road is upgraded to an expressway or freeway for a bypass of a town but is otherwise disconnected from anything else high priority.

How many other mapmakers have taken the approach of not recognizing the grades of disconnected segment accurately?

I understand it would be difficult because there are so many factors to consider. It will end up being very subjective with so many things. I would say it might be better to simplify to Interstates only (as suggested) or freeways only. Or have another color represent roads in that gray area.

My last question by example: if i am traveling between Fort Wayne and Toledo, I would take a major highway - US 24. Why would I as a Google Maps user want to see the section between Defiance and Napoleon in a different color simply because that section is just a slightly, almost imperceptibly lower grade than the Antwerp to Defiance section?

dfwmapper

I think there's a bug in Map view where freeways that are not an Interstate disappear at far out zoom levels. If you switch to satellite view, it works as it should and all freeways/expressways are visible at the same levels.

Yes, there should be a different color in between freeway and national highway. Maybe red/orange/yellow. But there isn't. For a while, expressways were a slightly more intense yellow than national highways, but then they changed things again and they went back to orange (same time arteries went from pale yellow to white).

Don't ask me why Defiance to Napoleon isn't expressway. I tried to set it as an expressway the entire way between the freeway portions, but it was changed back.

bmeiser

The final public open house for this project will be on March 25th at 5:30pm at Carmel High School if anybody's interested.  I'm going to do my best to attend.

Updates on the project will be presented along with updates on related projects in the cities of Carmel and Westfield.

http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/1255-2015-OpenHouse_Flier_V5.jpg

bmeiser

Here are the slides from last night's open house presentation:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2015-open-house-presentation.pdf

Carmel summer closures:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1256-2015-Carmel-Closure-Map_V8_noBar.jpg

Westfield summer closures:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1257-2015-Westfield-Closure-Map_V7_noBar.jpg

The Carmel summer schedule basically goes like this (Some of this work will happen concurrently.  All work is INDOT unless noted otherwise.):

• Carmel has an ongoing closure of 131st/Main between Penn and Old Meridian while they convert the 2 lane road to a 4 lane "boulevard" Rd. Opening around July.
  • Finish installing signage and lighting fixtures at the newly completed interchanges (131st & 136th)
  • Add final layer of pavement at ^ as weather allows
  • Install new roundabout at the new alignment of Illinois at 106th
  • Once ^ is complete, Carmel will re-align Illinois south of 106th and tie in the new portion of Illinois St north of 106th into the new roundabout, completing the Illinois St. extension.
  • Finish pavement / configuration at Old Meridian ramp as weather allows
  • Add final layer of pavement from Old Meridian to the Keystone Parkway area as weather allows
  • Finish Carmel drive bridge and approaches as weather allows
  • Carmel will install roundabout at 111th and Penn.
  • Finish 111th St. bridge and approaches as weather allows.  Should open around the same time as ^
  • While all that's going on, finish additional lanes / ramps for 106th and 116th street exits
  • As soon as ^ is done, move traffic to additional lanes / ramps and construct the new elevated mainline
  • As soon as ^ is done, move traffic to new mainline and complete ramp tie-ins and reconstruct roads from Illinois to Penn at both exits (one at a time).  Construction of 116th and Penn roundabout will occur around this time
  • As soon as ^ is done, close 103rd permanently. Road will "end in the existing parking lots".
  • Construction of northbound ramps from 465 will be ongoing throughout this time.  No timeline was given on completion other than "before Thanksgiving", like the rest of the project.

The Westfield summer schedule is slightly less interesting (Some of this work will happen concurrently.  All work is INDOT unless noted otherwise.):

• Westfield to install a roundabout at 156th and Spring Mill.
  • Begin construction on the northbound side of 31 (traffic is currently on the newly constructed southbound lanes as of January).
  • Construct East half of 31/32 interchange.  West half opened in January.  During this time, traffic going from WB 32 to NB 31 will have to take 31 south to 161st, turn around, and come back north.  NB 31 traffic to EB 32 will be taken to 38 (I believe) and will turn around and come back.  (They have a map illustrating this detour that hasn't been posted yet).
  • Finish interchange at 191st St.
  • Westfield constructed roundabout at 191st and Tomlinson to open around the same time as ^
  • Once ^ is complete, permanently close off access to local driveway south of 191st st.
  • Reconstruct 181st St under 31 (to "remove the hump in the road where 31 used to be").
  • Reconstruct 169th St under 31.  No mo hump.
  • Once everything is complete, the final stoplight at 196th will be removed and access will be closed off permanently
  • Cul-de-sacs will be constructed on 196th E and W of the new 31

I probably missed something, but that's the summary of the open house.  Pretty informative!

I asked two of the INDOT guys there about the strange curve on SB 31 just N of 465.  They both didn't know for sure but one says he thinks it's to slow down the 55mph traffic, preparing them for the 2 SB stoplights at 465 and the one at 96th... basically preparing them to transition to a city street.
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/b_465-106.jpg

Also there will be a 4-way stoplight at the end of the WB 465 ramp to SB 31.  There will be another one at the end of the EB -> SB ramp.  The snooty Carmel-ites I was standing there with didn't like that saying they "thought there would be no stoplights".  Yes, there will be no stoplights north of the 465 interchange... no stoplights coming from SB 31 to 465 or 465 to NB 31.  This project is meant to improve traffic flow north of 465, not south.

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on March 26, 2015, 05:11:34 PM
Here are the slides from last night's open house presentation:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2015-open-house-presentation.pdf

Carmel summer closures:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1256-2015-Carmel-Closure-Map_V8_noBar.jpg

Westfield summer closures:
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1257-2015-Westfield-Closure-Map_V7_noBar.jpg

The Carmel summer schedule basically goes like this (Some of this work will happen concurrently.  All work is INDOT unless noted otherwise.):

• Carmel has an ongoing closure of 131st/Main between Penn and Old Meridian while they convert the 2 lane road to a 4 lane "boulevard" Rd. Opening around July.
  • Finish installing signage and lighting fixtures at the newly completed interchanges (131st & 136th)
  • Add final layer of pavement at ^ as weather allows
  • Install new roundabout at the new alignment of Illinois at 106th
  • Once ^ is complete, Carmel will re-align Illinois south of 106th and tie in the new portion of Illinois St north of 106th into the new roundabout, completing the Illinois St. extension.
  • Finish pavement / configuration at Old Meridian ramp as weather allows
  • Add final layer of pavement from Old Meridian to the Keystone Parkway area as weather allows
  • Finish Carmel drive bridge and approaches as weather allows
  • Carmel will install roundabout at 111th and Penn.
  • Finish 111th St. bridge and approaches as weather allows.  Should open around the same time as ^
  • While all that's going on, finish additional lanes / ramps for 106th and 116th street exits
  • As soon as ^ is done, move traffic to additional lanes / ramps and construct the new elevated mainline
  • As soon as ^ is done, move traffic to new mainline and complete ramp tie-ins and reconstruct roads from Illinois to Penn at both exits (one at a time).  Construction of 116th and Penn roundabout will occur around this time
  • As soon as ^ is done, close 103rd permanently. Road will "end in the existing parking lots".
  • Construction of northbound ramps from 465 will be ongoing throughout this time.  No timeline was given on completion other than "before Thanksgiving", like the rest of the project.

The Westfield summer schedule is slightly less interesting (Some of this work will happen concurrently.  All work is INDOT unless noted otherwise.):

• Westfield to install a roundabout at 156th and Spring Mill.
  • Begin construction on the northbound side of 31 (traffic is currently on the newly constructed southbound lanes as of January).
  • Construct East half of 31/32 interchange.  West half opened in January.  During this time, traffic going from WB 32 to NB 31 will have to take 31 south to 161st, turn around, and come back north.  NB 31 traffic to EB 32 will be taken to 38 (I believe) and will turn around and come back.  (They have a map illustrating this detour that hasn't been posted yet).
  • Finish interchange at 191st St.
  • Westfield constructed roundabout at 191st and Tomlinson to open around the same time as ^
  • Once ^ is complete, permanently close off access to local driveway south of 191st st.
  • Reconstruct 181st St under 31 (to "remove the hump in the road where 31 used to be").
  • Reconstruct 169th St under 31.  No mo hump.
  • Once everything is complete, the final stoplight at 196th will be removed and access will be closed off permanently
  • Cul-de-sacs will be constructed on 196th E and W of the new 31

I probably missed something, but that's the summary of the open house.  Pretty informative!

I asked two of the INDOT guys there about the strange curve on SB 31 just N of 465.  They both didn't know for sure but one says he thinks it's to slow down the 55mph traffic, preparing them for the 2 SB stoplights at 465 and the one at 96th... basically preparing them to transition to a city street.
http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/b_465-106.jpg

Also there will be a 4-way stoplight at the end of the WB 465 ramp to SB 31.  There will be another one at the end of the EB -> SB ramp.  The snooty Carmel-ites I was standing there with didn't like that saying they "thought there would be no stoplights".  Yes, there will be no stoplights north of the 465 interchange... no stoplights coming from SB 31 to 465 or 465 to NB 31.  This project is meant to improve traffic flow north of 465, not south.

This whole corridor is going to be a mess, but it's going to look amazing when it's done!  I don't know why those people were surprised, if you are going on 31 you wont have to stop, if you are going on south meridian, you will have to.  that's unless you want to make meridian st an interstate.  Why is that small piece of Carmel Drive also known as 126th street?  Why not just call it carmel drive and remove confusion?  Same thing with 136th st vs smokey row road. As to the weird curve, that's exactly what it's for, i remember asking the same thing about the elgin o'hare and got the same answer (this was before the current construction on the highway)

bmeiser

It will be a mess but it sounds like they are going to coordinate the closures in such a way to avoid as much of a mess as possible while still keeping 31 open in both directions. They're also doing their best to have either Pennsylvania or Illinois streets open as a local backup all summer.  The plan also is to only have 1 consecutive interchange closed at a time so that drivers will have an option to the north and one to the south of the closure. Interested to see how this all plays out this summer.

bmeiser

Closures of northbound US 31/SR 32 ramps beginning on or after May 6

• Detour for northbound US 31 to SR 32 (noted in dark blue above) - Motorists traveling northbound on US 31 must continue north to the interchange at SR 38, exit and reenter US 31 going southbound and take the exit from southbound US 31 to SR 32.

• Detour for SR 32 to northbound US 31 (noted in green above) - Motorists traveling in either direction on SR 32 must enter US 31 headed southbound to the 161st Street interchange, exit and then reenter US 31 going northbound.

More info and detour map: http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs123/1112548744559/archive/1120688142786.html

tdindy88

I noticed a quick observation this morning on my iPhone. It shows all the interchanges along US 31 in Hamilton County as complete, including the still-being-worked on exits at I-465, 106th, 116th and 191st Streets, plus SR 32 (which is more or less already in its configuration.) A little jarring since those exits are far from complete and Apple doesn't even have the new ramp from WB 465 to SR 65 on its map.

silverback1065

The crossover appears to be on its way soon. Temp signals are up and bagged and the new portions traffic will use appear to almost be done. On another note, is it me or are some of these exits completely redundant?  Greyhound pass, old meridian,  and rangeline road all seem completely pointless. the rangeline exit has pretty bad weaving issues, almost no distance to merge. Greyhound pass doesn't really need to connect and old meridian can be replaced by 116th to Pennsylvania st easily.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.