News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Places you always stop

Started by ShawnP, December 08, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Since humans are creatures of habit. We all generally tend to stop at the same places on our trips.

From KC to Delaware. I always stopped in Effingham IL, Richmond IN, Wheeling WV and yes that dang Breezewood.

From Louisville to Delaware. I stop in Charleston WV, Morgantown WV and just over the Bay Bridge.

Since I have a fear of flight. I always drive long trips. In the Navy I had to take the flights to get to ships. Now I have a choice and choose the drives.

Kids live in Delaware with the _______.

Sanctimoniously

From North Carolina to West Monroe, LA, I usually tried to stop in North Augusta, SC, Douglasville, GA (if I was going to stop for the night), and Tuscaloosa, AL. I would also try to briefly stop in every state welcome center along the way.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

kphoger

We tend to make the same couple of long-distance trips every year, and I always plan stops ahead of time to yield roughly equal segments of drive time.  What this means is that we very frequently stop in exactly the same places for at least most of the stops.

Wichita to/from the Twin Cities (a):  Ottawa (KS), Cameron (MO), Johnston/Ankeny (IA), Clear Lake (IA).

Wichita to/from the Twin Cities (b):  Gardner (KS), Bethany (MO), Ames (IA), Albert Lea (MN).

Wichita to Parras, México:  Okla. City (OK), Gainesville (TX), Bellmead/Waco (TX), Selma (TX), Motel in Pearsall (TX), the border (duh), Escobedo/Monterrey (NL).

Parras to Wichita:  As far as we can get before a coffee drinker has to go pee (Coah/NL), Sabinas Hgo. service area (NL), the border (duh), Lytle (TX), Red Lobster in San Marcos (TX) and motel nearby (trying Kyle, TX, next year), West (TX), Gainesville (TX), Okla. City (OK).

For trips of 300 miles or less, we just pick somewhere near the midpoint or do it all in one shot.  For example, driving from Wichita to Branson, we might stop in Parsons or near Pittsburg, or we might just drive the whole way without stopping (except for maybe a pee or diaper changing stop).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CentralCAroadgeek

Salinas to LA: A stop at Lost Hills on I-5 at 46 to get gas.

Salinas to Phoenix: Lost Hills, a stop somewhere between the Grapevine and I-10 (along I-210), and stop in Blythe along I-10.

NE2

The stop sign two blocks from home.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on December 08, 2012, 03:43:59 PM
The stop sign two blocks from home.

I often just do a slow roll through the stop sign two blocks from my house.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

San Jose to Las Vegas...
* I-5 and CA-46 near Lost Hills for breakfast
* Barstow Station (I-15 and Main Street) for a snack and bathroom break

San Jose to Reno...
* Ikeda's (near I-80 and Forresthill Rd)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Takumi

If I take US 460 to Hampton Roads, I stop at one of the gas stations just west of the Suffolk bypass.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

It's been awhile since I've been to Atlanta, but when I'm there I always stop at the Varsity.

If I go straight down I-95 to Florida nowadays I stop in Florence for lunch and gas. That's getting close to the car's range limit as it is–furthest I've ever made it in this car is 455 miles and I like to stop when I have a selection of gas stations lest I get stuck with no premium gas. Going north to Montreal I always stop at the same Sunoco just off the Northway near Albany for the same reason. (I forget the exit number but would know if I looked at a map).

When I was a kid we usually stopped at the Town and Country Diner in Bordentown, NJ, en route to or from Brooklyn (we'd take I-295 to US-130 to the diner, then connect to I-195 to the Turnpike; reverse that going south.....at the time my father didnt know how easy it is/was to get to Exit 7 on the Turnpike from Bordentown).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quoteand yes that dang Breezewood.

Which means you are contributing to the problem.

When I was stationed in DC, I would often stop at the Sheetz in Haymarket on my westward trips.  My Vermont trips usually involved gas stops at the Rutters on North Hills St in York, PA and an Irving station right off I-91 in Springfield, VT (could usually make it between the two on one tank of gas).  After getting an iPad and the Gas Buddy app, these stops became less often (but did not end entirely).

Now that I'm in Norfolk, I haven't had time or opportunity to create a new set of places I'll always stop, save perhaps the Wawa right off I-495/US 13 in Wilmington, DE.

oscar

On the several occasions I've driven through Nebraska on I-80, if I arrived in Omaha in late afternoon or early evening, I stopped there for a steak dinner (different restaurant each time).  My usual summer road trip attire is T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops, but I change into something dressier for those restaurants, which I rarely do on any other occasion.

Heading out of the DC area toward westbound I-70, I usually stop at the scenic view on I-270 just south of Frederick.  Easy-off, easy-on rest area (no facilities, but I usually don't need them so soon after leaving home), a good place to mount the radar detector I'm not allowed to use in Virginia.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KEK Inc.

San Jose to Vancouver: 
  • Anderson, CA (CA-273)
  • Cottage Grove, OR
Seattle to Vancouver:
  • Exit 82 for Burgerville!
Take the road less traveled.

pianocello

Davenport to/from Peoria, IL: If at all, Knoxville is a good halfway point.
Davenport to Lansing, MI: Usually the rest area before Joliet, the Pilot in Burns Harbor, IN, and the rest area in Battle Creek.
Lansing back to Davenport: Indiana welcome center, food somewhere near Joliet.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

mcdonaat

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on December 08, 2012, 12:41:14 PM
From North Carolina to West Monroe, LA, I usually tried to stop in North Augusta, SC, Douglasville, GA (if I was going to stop for the night), and Tuscaloosa, AL. I would also try to briefly stop in every state welcome center along the way.

What on earth is there in West Monroe? Just kidding...

From Monroe to Baton Rouge, I ALWAYS stop at Johnny's Pizza in Winnsboro, and McDonald's in Natchez.

Alexandria to Baton Rouge consists of stopping at Race Trac in Opelousas (HUGE selection of foods and sodas) and the McDonald's where La 415 meets I-10.

Lafayette to New Orleans has me stopping in Patterson for Sonic, and fuel in Houma, without fail.

huskeroadgeek

I make frequent trips from Lincoln, NE to the Springfield, MO area to visit family. When I go, I nearly always stop either in St. Joseph or Platte City, MO for gas and food.

DandyDan

Whenever I drive the interstate between here in the Omaha area and NE Illinois (I don't think Chicagoland should include DeKalb County, home of various people I know), the one sure place I stop at, assuming I stick to the interstate the whole time, is the Iowa 80 truck stop.  Other than that, the only sure thing I do is stop at a rest area to pick up an official state map.  Of course, I don't always stick to the interstate, especially if it's back to Omaha.

Going up to various SW Minnesota relatives, it's always Sioux City.

As for gas, my car tells me when it's running low, so it's always the next exit with a gas station.  As for eating, it's usually Subway unless it's somewhere with Jimmy Johns.  I typically avoid fastfood hamburger joints.  No one makes good hamburgers.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

froggie

QuoteI typically avoid fastfood hamburger joints.  No one makes good hamburgers.

Five Guys hasn't infiltrated that far west yet?

vtk

From Columbus to Coldwater, MI, Ed and I always stop in Fort Wayne at the Fazoli's (Stellhorn & Maplecrest), because it's the last one we go by of that chain which we enjoy.

When I'm in Cincinnati for work, if I'm hungry and heading back towards Columbus, I stop at the Arby's on Montgomery Rd near Silverton because they have an affordable 9-piece mozzarella sticks which I've found nowhere else.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JCinSummerfield

I frequently make trips from home in Petersburg, MI to Parkersburg, WV.  I make stops in Upper Sandusky, OH and Nelsonville, OH, because we carry 3 kids with us.  If their bladders are really bad, we also have to stop in the Delaware/Columbus area, much to my disdain, being a native of Ann Arbor.   :-D

Alps

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 08, 2012, 10:22:21 PM

What on earth is there in West Monroe?

My hometown.

And Johnny's Pizza.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Sonic99

I haven't done the trip more than two or three times, but my stepmom's family is from Oklahoma so I've gone along on trips with her and my dad. From Williams, AZ we usually stop somewhere around Gallup/Grants, Albequerque, the fireworks factory east of Albequerque, Tucumcari, Amarillo, and OKC. In terms of specific places, every single time I've gone I have mandated a stop in Amarillo at Braum's. It is sooooo tasty! The burger and fries are good on their own, but their shakes/malts are a must buy!
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 08, 2012, 07:24:14 PM
Quoteand yes that dang Breezewood.

Which means you are contributing to the problem.

Absolutely correct. 

Businesses at Breezewood and its evil and corrupt Pennsylvania Turnpike brethren (Somerset, Bedford, Carlisle, Pocono, Wyoming Valley) should be boycotted by all patrons of the Turnpike.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.