News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Road to Newfoundland (and the Magdalens) in Winter:

Started by ghYHZ, March 14, 2015, 09:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

The Marine Atlantic Ferries are sometimes referred to as an extension of the Trans Canada Highway but for anyone travelling to and from Newfoundland the past couple of weeks it's been anything but smooth sailing with the heavy ice conditions in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Cabot Strait this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/marine-atlantic-ferry-schedule-delayed-due-to-sea-ice-1.2986323

These are large "Northern Baltic Class 1A"  ice-breaking ferries and quite capable of handling most ice conditions but lately they've also needed some help from the Coast Guard Ice Breakers.

The delays plus a mechanical issue put three/quarters of the Marine Atlantic Newfoundland fleet in port at North Sydney, NS one day last week (first photo L to R) Leif Ericson, Blue Puttees, Atlantic Vision. (the fourth ferry, the Highlanders was enroute from Port-aux-Basques)

ghYHZ

And there was also a visitor.  The C.T.M.A. Ferry "Vacancier" from the Iles-de-la-Madeleine was diverted to North Sydney because of the heavy ice on its usual route to Prince Edward Island. Marine Atlantic, being a Crown Corporation with bilingual staff was able to accommodate the predominantly French speaking C.T.M.A. passengers with ticketing and check-in. Once off the ferry.......most had an extra 230km drive added to their journey.   

And there's an interesting contrast between the east and west coasts: All these ferry routes fighting ice conditions are south of the 49 th parallel (which is the US-Canada border across the west) and all are further south than any route that BC Ferries operates. 

I've been on winter crossings to Newfoundland. Most make the run in the schedule 6 or 7 hours but I can remember a couple: a 15 hour detour to avoid the ice and 36 hours riding out a storm. Just make sure you get a cabin in winter.....a lot more comfortable than sitting up in coach if you do get stuck and they'll keep you well fed (but there's no complementary bar!)

oscar

Quote from: ghYHZ on March 14, 2015, 09:20:06 AM
And there was also a visitor.  The C.T.M.A. Ferry "Vacancier" from the Iles-de-la-Madeleine was diverted to North Sydney because of the heavy ice on its usual route to Prince Edward Island. Marine Atlantic, being a Crown Corporation with bilingual staff was able to accommodate the predominantly French speaking C.T.M.A. passengers with ticketing and check-in. Once off the ferry.......most had an extra 230km drive added to their journey. 

But at least the ones headed to Quebec avoided the hefty Confederation Bridge toll exiting PEI. 

Awesome photos.  Nice for you to live so close to North Sydney.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2015, 09:34:41 AM
But at least the ones headed to Quebec avoided the hefty Confederation Bridge toll exiting PEI. 

Awesome photos.......

Thanks

The bridge toll is currently $45.50 but I read recently that if the bridge hadn't been built and the ferry was still operating across the 9 miles between Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.....the equivalent fare today on the ferry would be around $55 + a variable fuel surcharge for a car and passengers and you might even encounter winter delays here also due to ice. Now with a bridge......you cross on your schedule.     

vdeane

The Confederation Bridge toll is just a drop in the bucket to the cost of transporting a car across the ferry from Les Iles de la Madeleine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SignGeek101

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.