News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 66 in Tulsa: Why 11th Street?

Started by bugo, February 12, 2014, 04:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Almost all of the US 66 books, websites, and signage point US 66 traffic to follow 11th from 193rd to downtown.  The original alignment, however, followed Admiral Place from 1926-1932.  It followed 11th from 1932 to 1959, when it was moved onto Skelly Drive.  Why is 11th Street considered the "official" routing of US 66 when it wasn't the original?  I-44 gets no respect for being the final routing of US 66, and besides little remains of the original Skelly Drive west of the I-44/244 split.  It looks like the Admiral alignment would be considered the "official" route because it was the original.

US71

Quote from: bugo on February 12, 2014, 04:06:57 AM
Almost all of the US 66 books, websites, and signage point US 66 traffic to follow 11th from 193rd to downtown.  The original alignment, however, followed Admiral Place from 1926-1932.  It followed 11th from 1932 to 1959, when it was moved onto Skelly Drive.  Why is 11th Street considered the "official" routing of US 66 when it wasn't the original?  I-44 gets no respect for being the final routing of US 66, and besides little remains of the original Skelly Drive west of the I-44/244 split.  It looks like the Admiral alignment would be considered the "official" route because it was the original.
Come to the 66 Facebook page and maybe someone will know.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

I think much of the Route 66 lore sprung up in the 1950s (give or take 5 years on either side), so the routings in place at that time get the most attention. Old gas stations, diners, etc. are more likely to be found on those alignments vs. ones from the 1920s, which are more likely to appeal to purists and roadgeeks only.

rte66man

As with many other cities on the Mother Road, there were multiple routes over the years.  I believe 11th St is emphasized as that was the route during the post WW2 years when it was at its peak. Besides, who wants to remember Skelly Drive?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2014, 12:57:37 AM
Quote from: bugo on February 12, 2014, 11:48:54 PM
Skelly Drive was awesome.

If you had a death wish, sure...

It was great when it was new because it only carried a fraction of the traffic that it does now.  It later became a deathtrap because of increased traffic.  The new parts are very nice.  It's 6 lanes from Harvard to I-244.  They are slowly rebuilding the section between I-244 and Cherokee Curve to 6 lanes.  They are in the process of rebuilding the 177th Street bridge, and it's a mess.

agentsteel53

then Oklahomans forgot how to drive?

it struck me extra hard coming in from Kansas... literally 50 feet over the state line, the drivers turned stupid on me.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 13, 2014, 09:39:37 AM

then Oklahomans forgot how to drive?

it struck me extra hard coming in from Kansas... literally 50 feet over the state line, the drivers turned stupid on me.

This sounds like a story.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

not really.  I'd just been spoiled by Missouri and Kansas before.  it's amazing how much better traffic flows in congestion in St. Louis than it does in LA.  just shocking.  then a combination of two- and four-lane roads generally tracing old US-66 through Missouri and Kansas, and then it was time for Oklahoma.  I headed south out of Baxter Springs, and then just over the Oklahoma line, in popped someone to make a left turn in front of me and then proceed to putter along doing 45mph in a marked 55.  it had been over a day since I'd seen that kind of idiocy, so it was extra harsh to encounter it coming off the first sectional line that could probably be called Oklahoma.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 13, 2014, 10:01:37 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

not really.  I'd just been spoiled by Missouri and Kansas before.  it's amazing how much better traffic flows in congestion in St. Louis than it does in LA.  just shocking.  then a combination of two- and four-lane roads generally tracing old US-66 through Missouri and Kansas, and then it was time for Oklahoma.  I headed south out of Baxter Springs, and then just over the Oklahoma line, in popped someone to make a left turn in front of me and then proceed to putter along doing 45mph in a marked 55.  it had been over a day since I'd seen that kind of idiocy, so it was extra harsh to encounter it coming off the first sectional line that could probably be called Oklahoma.

That's a typical Okie driver.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.