News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Extended Left Turns

Started by US71, June 23, 2014, 11:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Something I observed along US 65 south of Buffalo (also along parts of MO 13) is what I call "extended left turn lanes".  Instead of a simple left turn lane, it is extended lane almost like an at-grade off-ramp , sometimes separated by a median, sometimes meeting the intersection at a 45-degree angle.

Are there any other states who do this?

An example can be found here (without the median).

I tried to get a few photos, but they didn't come out to well.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadrunner75

NJ examples (although not very common):

NJ 36 at Hope Rd.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.287225,-74.078128&spn=0.001424,0.00268&t=h&z=19

Garden State Parkway at Stone Harbor Blvd. (about to be replaced with an interchange)
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.085242,-74.814328&spn=0.001457,0.00268&t=h&z=19

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

GaryV

As I recall there are some of these on the expressway portion of "Fort to Port" US 24.

The benefit is that it uses a portion of the median space to move the left turners farther to the left, so that it is clear that they turn in front of each other rather than crossing each other.

Revive 755

The more commonly used term for these type of left turns is "buried left."

jnewkirk77

U.S. 231 through Spencer County, Indiana has them; ditto U.S. 41 through the Evansville area, where they were added within the past several years.

Brian556

This looks like it is done so that left turning motorists can actually see oncoming traffic during the permissive phase. Around here, in Texas, left turns are designated so that, due to vehicles in the oncoming turn lane, you can't see the oncoming traffic that you have to yield to when turning left on a green ball. It is incredibly inconvenient and unsafe, and they don't give a f***, and built roads like this anyway. It really sucks.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tom958

Georgia has them as the typical condition, including retrofit of older roads. GA 365/US 23 has quite a few with the setup in both directions serving only a farm access on one side.  :spin:

cl94

New York occasionally uses them on divided highways. NY 263 and Audobon Parkway at the SUNY Buffalo campus in Amherst have 4 intersections with them. There are two more south of Buffalo on NY 179. New York City has a few on major roads. Each of these examples are protected left turns with no permissive movement allowed at any time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.