News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Is I-444 an east-west or a north-south highway?

Started by bugo, December 26, 2014, 04:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I-444 has an E-W leg and a N-S leg. It is plexed with US 75 for its entire length, and US 75 is signed N-S. It is also plexed with US 64 and OK 51 which are E-W highways. It branches off of I-244 which is an E-W highway. It is unsigned so there is no way of telling whether it is E-W or N-S by signage.  Which is it?

Was it ever signed? I've heard of I-444 shields being seen during construction and after it was opened.

Why is it unsigned in the first place?

Scott5114

444 ÷ 2 = 222, which is a whole number, so I would expect I-444 to nominally be an east-west highway.

It could also be like I-435 in Kansas City and several other highways and change from logical E-W to logical N-S midway through. The ODOT control section map shows I-444 split into two control sections, #94, which begins at I-244 and goes east to the BA Expressway, and #92, which begins at section #94 and goes north from there.

Really, though, I-444's logical direction is kind of a null question because logical direction only exists in terms of what is signed. It is a bit like asking about how much lift a dragon's wings generate. You could come up with a theoretical answer, but dragons don't exist in real life, so it can't be proven right.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 26, 2014, 05:12:29 AM
Really, though, I-444's logical direction is kind of a null question because logical direction only exists in terms of what is signed. It is a bit like asking about how much lift a dragon's wings generate. You could come up with a theoretical answer, but dragons don't exist in real life, so it can't be proven right.
This. In many states, directions only have relevance for signs. (Some states do define a direction internally.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

444 ÷ 2 = 222, which is a whole number, so I would expect I-444 to nominally be an east-west highway.

Being a 3di, the last digit does not count for direction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

On 3dis I think its the first number( an odd or an even) that is supposed to mean something -Odd is a "spur"
even is a "loop".
A tread on how closely that one has been followed would be interesting

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2014, 10:59:31 AM
On 3dis I think its the first number( an odd or an even) that is supposed to mean something -Odd is a "spur"
even is a "loop".
A tread on how closely that one has been followed would be interesting

Yes, it's the first digit that counts on a 3di, making it a loop or a spur.  Usually this seems to be adhered to (I-476 notwithstanding).  As for direction, I'll just use Illinois as an example.

I-172 is a north-south spur.
I-294 is a north-south loop.

Both end in an even digit, and both are signed north-south as they are 3di loops and spurs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Is that why Illinois cant seem to get IL 255 to be I-255 . It would be a spur off a loop!

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2014, 01:44:09 PM
Is that why Illinois cant seem to get IL 255 to be I-255 . It would be a spur off a loop!

Yep. unless you happen to be PennDOT.  Then, you can get I-476 extended anywhere.

Bickendan

Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2014, 02:37:46 PM

Yep. unless you happen to be PennDOT.  Then, you can get I-476 extended anywhere.
Why don't they extend it out to Oregon, just because? ;)

andy3175

Quote from: Bickendan on December 31, 2014, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2014, 02:37:46 PM

Why don't they extend it out to Oregon, just because? ;)

Because they are still trying to extend I-84 west from PA to OR, and you can see how well that's going! :)
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2014, 10:00:31 AM

Being a 3di, the last digit does not count for direction.
I-540 (AR) runs N-S
I-435 (KS-MO) runs all four directions
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
Pandirectional.

In other words, it's not just north-south, it's not just east-west, it swings both ways!  :spin:

intelati49

Quote from: Brandon on February 24, 2015, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
Pandirectional.

In other words, it's not just north-south, it's not just east-west, it swings both ways!  :spin:

I prefer omnidirectional  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.