News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Southern Beltway - PA Tpk 576

Started by CanesFan27, January 26, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Though we may not drive on it for at least another 10 years - if ever,
the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has slowly begun to acquire
property for the next leg of the Southern Beltway in suburban
Pittsburgh.  The right-of-way acquisition is happening along the path
of the 13 miles US 22 to I-79 section for PA Turnpike 576.

The PTC will acquire approximately 100 homes in Cecil, Robinson, and
South Fayette Townships.  Although the Turnpike Commission currently
has funds available to purchase land along the proposed highway, it is
nowhere near procuring the projected $730 million in funds to build
the highway.  As a result, the PTC is allowing property owners to
vacate the land at their discretion.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localnews/01-25-2010-cecil-houses-southern-beltway

mightyace

That sound a lot like what happened along the stretch of TN 840 that is currently being built in southwestern Williamson County.

The state acquired the land and then the project got bogged down in environmental lawsuits.  When the lawsuits were settled, there were some changes to the routing of 840 and the state let the original owners have the property back, if they wanted it.  In some cases, they didn't want it back because, not surprisingly, the state let the buildings decay.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Mr_Northside

While I'd like to see the PTC complete all their remaining projects/segments... if they find that they'll probably never have the money to do them all, this is the one project that seems like it makes sense to really try and finish anyway.  (All-around, the northern Mon-Fayette section would probably be the most useful... but obviously the most difficult to actually achieve)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mergingtraffic

CT has the same story with Route 11, a few more highway projects left to be completed (US-6 & US-7) but CT-11 seems to be the most likely to get finished.  However, the state started to acquire land around the highway for the proposed greenway to stifle the environmentalists.  But the project is stalled due to lack of funds.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mr_Northside

Turnpike to build $632 million Southern Beltway extension

Seems pretty solid this stretch is gonna get done now.  (Though until it's actually done, anything (read: lack of funding) to halt it won't surprise me).  6 years of construction for 13 miles seems a bit excessive as well.

I also would not be surprised if this is the last new stretch of Mon-Fayette/Southern Beltway project I ever see opened in my lifetime.

And finally, from the end of the release:
QuoteThe project cost of roughly $632.5 million, which includes engineering design, property acquisition, utility relocations, construction, construction management and construction inspection services, is to be funded with a mix of state tax revenue, bonding and federal loans; no toll dollars are being spent on the project

There is a bit of irony there.... a PTC road is using other funding sources, and NOT toll dollars to be built, while Act 44 forces the PTC to hand over large sums of toll revenue every year to be used on non-PTC roads.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

From the PTC's press release, it appears they are going forward with the plan to eliminate cash tolls starting with this segment:

QuoteToll collection on the new segment is being designed as All-Electronic Tolling (AET) in conjunction with the commission's five-year conversion to a cashless system. With AET, customers pay with E-ZPass or video tolling, where a license-plate image is captured and a toll invoice mailed to the vehicle owner. Because no brick-and-mortar tollbooths are needed, AET is less expensive to design and build. The overhead frames that house the tolling apparatus, called gantries, require less physical space and therefore fewer property acquisitions than traditional cash tollbooths.

Henry

Sounds like they're really serious about building the Southern Beltway! It'll be interesting to see what will be done with the rest of the highway from I-79 east to where it ties into PA 43, assuming it gets the green light.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sykotyk

It will be great to go east on US22 into Pennsylvania and then bypass Pittsburgh to the south. Greentree Hill, the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the aggravatingly congested during a lot of the day Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Can't wait. I'll gladly pay to go around if it's anywhere near peak traffic.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Sykotyk on December 28, 2012, 01:32:51 AM
It will be great to go east on US22 into Pennsylvania and then bypass Pittsburgh to the south. Greentree Hill, the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the aggravatingly congested during a lot of the day Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Can't wait. I'll gladly pay to go around if it's anywhere near peak traffic.

Are you talking about yourself or on behalf of your great-grandchildren?

Sykotyk

I hope to live long enough to see it. It's great getting to I-376 or the airport from Steubenville now with the toll road.

I'm not a fan of the 576/US22 interchange, though. I understand a cloverleaf would be tough (the hillside that is prohibitive), and direct ramps were probably very costly (especially if built to handle further expansion). But, I'm not a fan of a freeway interchanging a freeway with cross traffic. Even if separated from the main roadways.

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on December 30, 2012, 12:11:05 AM
I hope to live long enough to see it. It's great getting to I-376 or the airport from Steubenville now with the toll road.

I'm not a fan of the 576/US22 interchange, though. I understand a cloverleaf would be tough (the hillside that is prohibitive), and direct ramps were probably very costly (especially if built to handle further expansion). But, I'm not a fan of a freeway interchanging a freeway with cross traffic. Even if separated from the main roadways.
It's a Pennsylvania thing. I-476 at US 1 (originally planned with all grade separations, scaled down)

hbelkins

Isn't that some variation of a "volleyball" interchange?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Strider

does anyone know the map links to the route of the proposed Southern Beltway?

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

Yep. Ever seen a Volleyball DPUI? It's called a diamond :P

PAHighways

Quote from: Strider on December 30, 2012, 07:21:23 PMdoes anyone know the map links to the route of the proposed Southern Beltway?

I was going to post a link to the map at the Turnpike site, but the only thing that comes up is the Network Solutions domain holder page.

rickmastfan67

Now, the major question is, will this become I-576 when it's connected to I-79 since it will connect to an Interstate on each end. :sombrero:

PAHighways

Looks like whatever was going on with their domain has been corrected.

Map of the proposed route.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on December 30, 2012, 11:54:17 PM
Looks like whatever was going on with their domain has been corrected.

Map of the proposed route.

That's only the middle part. (they split it into 3 different PDF's).  Here's the page that has the links to all three of them:
http://www.paturnpike.com/monfaysb/22to79/map.htm

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

Currently, it's a half volleyball as a result of the highway dead ending there.  It will be a full voleyball oncethe new toll road is completed.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Henry on December 22, 2012, 02:44:36 PM
Sounds like they're really serious about building the Southern Beltway! It'll be interesting to see what will be done with the rest of the highway from I-79 east to where it ties into PA 43, assuming it gets the green light.

Of course they are 'serious' in wanting to build it.  Having the money - and in the case of the 51 to 376 section public support - to build and complete the highway is another thing.

PAHighways

An aerial shot of the stub "volleyball" facing eastward on 22 can be seen here.

The first contract that will be awarded will be for construction of the mainline bridges (third tier).

hbelkins

Alps

hbelkins

Not here. And I tried with Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.