News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

House in the middle of the road

Started by DAL764, January 25, 2015, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAL764

This is something I came across in Google Earth today:
https://maps.google.de/maps?q=38.635765,-90.511564&ll=38.635771,-90.51106&spn=0.00176,0.002248&num=1&t=h&z=19

The road in question is Salt Mill Road, running parallel to Missouri 141 west of St. Louis. Road is a dead end south if the building, which going by GE historic imagery was built around late 2006/early 2007. GSV imagery is from 2007, GSV imagery on the adjecent 141 is from 2012, and the building looks exactly the same. So anybody have an idea what this building is about, especially the location?

Or for that matter, similar cases of buildings having been built in the middle of a (more or less) active road.

NE2

Probably a salt mill.

The two buildings to the north are both MODOT, so perhaps this is too. Storage for road salt?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on January 25, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
Probably a salt mill.

The two buildings to the north are both MODOT, so perhaps this is too. Storage for road salt?

I was thinking that too, but the GSV shows the garage door on it to be very low, like residential garage low.

https://goo.gl/maps/5y4ml

That is the most random placement of a building I've ever seen.

briantroutman

It might not be a common occurrence, but I don't think it's that bizarre. I can easily imagine how this arrangement might have come about. Salt Mill Road (and Old Woods Mill Road) would appear to make a serviceable shortcut between the dense retail development on Clayton Road and the development along the I-64 frontage, particularly if traffic was backed up on I-64. The people living on Brookmill Lane and Millfield Court complained about all of the through traffic rolling though their neighborhood and got the town council and MoDOT to seal off the road.

And if you have an unused concrete slab, why not put the building right on it? You'd have to pour a slab anyway. As to the building's purpose, it's almost certainly small item storage for MoDOT or the municipality. The satellite photo shows many items being stored on the unused roadway behind the building as well.

vdeane

Is that roadway actually unused?  Street view shows traffic driving around the building.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

Quote from: vdeane on January 25, 2015, 02:59:47 PM
Is that roadway actually unused?  Street view shows traffic driving around the building.

There's nothing that can be accessed beyond the building, so I'd say for all intents and purposes, it's disused. There is an asphalt driveway around the building, but that appears to be there to allow access to the outdoor storage area behind. It's definitely not striped for traffic. Why the Google Street View car went around the building it beyond me, but I've seen lots of anomalies with them driving down nearly nonexistent dirt paths or alleys while leaving out legitimate roads.

vdeane

Didn't see the other barrier further down.  The newer street view at the exit also makes it clearer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

I can't have been the only one who thought of this song, right? :pan:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

spooky

This immediately came to mind, on Route 27 in Sharon, MA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.127036,-71.187112,3a,75y,290.42h,83.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sq7ZvwG9FA0uO56k7C0geCQ!2e0

I'm pretty sure this is a case of the roads being there first and someone later deciding to make them one way on each side of the home.

jeffandnicole

It's primarily a MoDOT Motorist Assistance Building, although it appears MoDOT has meetings and other functions there as well.  The address is 669 Salt Mill Rd., Chesterfield, MO.

http://www.modot.org/stlouis/news_and_information/District6Release.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=188381

http://www.govcb.com/SL-RW-Reflective-TruckDecals-ADP14152905500000605.htm

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2015, 09:37:07 AM
It's primarily a MoDOT Motorist Assistance Building, although it appears MoDOT has meetings and other functions there as well.  The address is 669 Salt Mill Rd., Chesterfield, MO.
Not true. 669 Salt Mill is to the north.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

BamaZeus

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 25, 2015, 10:29:13 PM

I have always wondered what kind of city would allow a house to be built in the middle of a street.

TEG24601

It appears that the roadway used to be used, but given that it is detached/barriered to the South, it was likely closed due to the neighborhood.  The sign at the end of the ramp also indicates the road make a left turn only, and there is no Stop Sign.  When the road was closed, is looks like the DOT took the opportunity for some storage shed for equipment, like plows, or construction materials.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

empirestate

Quote from: BamaZeus on January 26, 2015, 11:29:44 AM

I have always wondered what kind of city would allow a house to be built in the middle of a street.

Whereas I always used to wonder what misfortune befell the homeowners, such that their house was now located in the middle of their street.

EDIT: Of course, it's obvious to me now that I think about it, but my odd perception of this lyric is because in British usage, you would say a building is located "in" a street, whereas in the U.S. we live "on" a street, and to say "in" means that something is actually within the traveled portion of the roadway.

usends

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

hm insulators

I was thinking the same song, too!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

tradephoric

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Given that it's The Villages, it's probably a tea brewery.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.