News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Were the Turner Turnpike and the New Sapulpa Highway built at the same time?

Started by bugo, March 06, 2012, 05:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The Turner Turnpike (I-44) and the New Sapulpa Highway (OK 66, formerly US 66/75/OK 33) parallel each other for several miles between Tulsa and Sapulpa.  My guess is that they were built at the same time, but does anybody know for sure?

rte66man

Short answer is yes.  As you probably know, US66 ran south from downtown Tulsa on Southwest Blvd and present day Frankoma Road to Sapulpa.  When the Turner Turnpike was built, the "free" alternative was built parallel to it.  I will try to get some OK map scans done this weekend to show it.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

I looked at the online ODOT maps for 1952 and 1953.  The 52 map shows US66 still going through Bowden next to the rr tracks. The 53 map shows the opening of the Turner Turnpike and shows 66 more or less on the east side of the turnpike.  Based on that and personal knowledge, I would say they were built at teh same time.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.