News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

No More Paseo Bridge in Kansas City

Started by roadman65, February 05, 2013, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was cruisin through GSV and noticed a shocking discovery.  The Paseo Bridge in Kansas City, that carries I-29, I-35, and US 71 across the Missouri River has been replaced and dismantled.

I always thought that bridge was neat looking and cute!  It was a tiny suspension bridge that looked real cool.  Even though the new replacement is much more needed as it has more travel lanes and a wide shoulder to be able to accomodate future widening improvements as well as the other being old and incapable of handling present and future needs, it is a shame to see another part of history disappear.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

I like the new bridge.

Maybe the old one wasn't officially dismantled:  maybe thieves stole it and sold it for scrap.  Like the Dachau gate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2013, 01:17:13 PM
I like the new bridge.

Maybe the old one wasn't officially dismantled:  maybe thieves stole it and sold it for scrap.  Like the Dachau gate.

the whole "we're so cool, we're stealing infrastructure" bullshit needs to fucking stop.

every time I hear about someone being electrocuted while stealing power lines, I laugh.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

route56

And, in other news, ramp meters were installed on I-435 between Metcalf and the Triangle.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

bugo

roadman65

What was interesting about the bridge is not so much the bridge itself, but what led me to start this thread.  Not too long ago I was checking out street view and the old structure was in tact.  In fact the road along the river below it still has the old bridge rather than the new one above it.  Obviously, GSV just updated the I-35 caption.

I was actually looking for another thread to post it in, but the search engine on this page stinks.  If you are one letter off of what the original topic is at times, it will not pull up what you are looking for.  There was actually an interesting stuff thread that I wanted this to be in, as it is more of that then to state old news.  I have not been that way in years and google just recently changed the caption, so to me this is news.

Ramp meters are interesting considering I know if we had them here where I live, no one would pay attention to them and run the lights.  I think they serve their purpose and many more will pop up.

I have no problems with the new bridge even though it is a little modern for my taste, but just to say another old bridge bites the dust.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2013, 04:38:14 PM
caption

caption

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
1 : the part of a legal document that shows where, when, and by what authority it was taken, found, or executed
2 a : the heading especially of an article or document : title
b : the explanatory comment or designation accompanying a pictorial illustration
c : a motion-picture subtitle
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

johndoe

Quote from: route56 on February 05, 2013, 04:27:00 PM
And, in other news, ramp meters were installed on I-435 between Metcalf and the Triangle.

You might also enjoy this site, if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.kcicon.com/proj_images.html

Special K

I like the new bridge.

When did the Dachau gate (Arbeit Macht Frei) get ripped off?  It was there last July.

kphoger

Quote from: Special K on February 05, 2013, 11:23:19 PM
I like the new bridge.

When did the Dachau gate (Arbeit Macht Frei) get ripped off?  It was there last July.

Sorry, got my concentration camps mixed up.  I meant Auschwitz.  Here's a news article link:
Auschwitz camp's stolen sign recovered in three pieces
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.