News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Question About US 89

Started by 707, October 14, 2014, 08:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I can understand why US 89 was truncated in 1991 between Wickenburg and Nogales, but I don't understand, why did the road between the US 93/AZ 89 junction and Flagstaff get truncated? That part makes little sense to me.

NE2

It was functionally replaced by I-17 for all but local traffic.

PS: is CR 10 through Skull Valley a better route than SR 89 southwest of Prescott? The Goog implies it is when getting directions.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

So I assume I-19 and I-10 had the same effect? And I'm not sure about CR 10. I haven't been down either SR 89 or CR 10 south of Prescott. From street view (which I understand doesn't help anything), it appears CR 10 is in rougher shape pavement wise than SR 89, but SR 89 has more pronounced curves on the map closer to Prescott (ones that remind me of the Ridge Route in California). From the looks of it, CR 10 may be a bit longer of a drive, but it has less curves and looks safer.

usends

Quote from: 707 on October 15, 2014, 12:56:29 AM
So I assume I-19 and I-10 had the same effect?

I-19 and I-10 south and east of Phoenix, yes.  But for some reason the same logic wasn't applied to US 60, which still exists between Phoenix and Brenda, despite I-10's shorter distance and higher speed limit.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NE2

Quote from: usends on October 15, 2014, 03:44:38 PM
Quote from: 707 on October 15, 2014, 12:56:29 AM
So I assume I-19 and I-10 had the same effect?

I-19 and I-10 south and east of Phoenix, yes.  But for some reason the same logic wasn't applied to US 60, which still exists between Phoenix and Brenda, despite I-10's shorter distance and higher speed limit.
Perhaps they didn't care to submit a separate request for US 60, which had been truncated to Brenda in 1982.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on October 14, 2014, 09:12:18 PM
It was functionally replaced by I-17 for all but local traffic.

PS: is CR 10 through Skull Valley a better route than SR 89 southwest of Prescott? The Goog implies it is when getting directions.
Taking that road avoids a climb into the mountains and a winding road just south of Prescott. The Skull Valley Road is a pretty good road. It's accessed from Iron Springs Road in Prescott.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

KG909

~Fuccboi

bugo

I agree, it was a stupid decommissioning, up there with US 61 Minnesota.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: KG909 on October 15, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
Forum or app glitch?

App glitch. Timeline shows all posts individually, and for some reason often shows them twice. Don't know why.

KG909

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 09:35:22 AM

Forum or app glitch?

App glitch. Timeline shows all posts individually, and for some reason often shows them twice. Don't know why.
Hopefully tapatalk fixes this
~Fuccboi

adventurernumber1

Quote from: KG909 on October 16, 2014, 09:47:50 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 09:35:22 AM

Forum or app glitch?

Hopefully tapatalk fixes this

Yet another factor that's halting me from ever getting Tapatalk  :-D

But honestly, it looks like that'd have to be a glitch, from my experience on electronics.

Also, US 89 was probably truncated because I-17, I-10, & I-19 completely took its place. It isn't too awfully unusual for this to happen, and this happens a lot in mountainous areas, when there's only one very good route for a major road. An example of this is when US 21 was truncated from Ohio to Wytheville, VA, when I-77 was built.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Rover_0

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 22, 2014, 05:25:31 PM
Also, US 89 was probably truncated because I-17, I-10, & I-19 completely took its place. It isn't too awfully unusual for this to happen, and this happens a lot in mountainous areas, when there's only one very good route for a major road. An example of this is when US 21 was truncated from Ohio to Wytheville, VA, when I-77 was built.

While I understand anything south of Wickenburg, I still don't quite understand why 89 between Ash Fork and Wickenburg was decommissioned. The AZ-89 designation is extraneous and should've stayed US-89 to Wickenburg.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

national highway 1

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 23, 2014, 03:11:36 PM
While I understand anything south of Wickenburg, I still don't quite understand why 89 between Ash Fork and Wickenburg was decommissioned. The AZ-89 designation is extraneous and should've stayed US-89 to Wickenburg.
It's probably that US 89 had a long duplex with I-40 to head west, then south on a rather indirect route to I-17 which is more direct and also freeway-grade between Flagstaff and Phoenix.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bugo

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 24, 2014, 01:59:48 AM
It's probably that US 89 had a long duplex with I-40 to head west, then south on a rather indirect route to I-17 which is more direct and also freeway-grade between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

Then they should have decommissioned US 89A and rerouted mainline 89 down 89A.

halork

Quote from: bugo on October 24, 2014, 02:23:48 AM
Quote from: national highway 1 on October 24, 2014, 01:59:48 AM

Then they should have decommissioned US 89A and rerouted mainline 89 down 89A.

I seem to recall they were going to renumber 89A, but the looney-tunes who live in Sedona complained that renumbering would disrupt the local energy flow, or some such drivel.

dfwmapper

Is it possible that the length restrictions on 89A through Oak Creek Canyon prevented it from being redesignated as a primary US route?

andy3175

Quote from: dfwmapper on October 24, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
Is it possible that the length restrictions on 89A through Oak Creek Canyon prevented it from being redesignated as a primary US route?

Yes, I would say that is likely. Arizona 89A is not a particularly fast through route, nor is it very wide for trucks and commercial traffic. But it is very scenic!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

If you're headed from Flagstaff to Prescott, I-40 and AZ-89 (i.e., old U.S. 89) is the fastest route. 89 south of I-40 is very fast. South of Prescott, though, there isn't much incentive for traffic to continue further if they are headed for Phoenix. Rather, they would take AZ-69 and I-17. Traffic headed for California would go south on 89 but west on AZ-71 to pick up U.S. 60. All of that adds up to maintaining U.S. 89 from Prescott to Wickenburg not being a significant through route. If I'd been asked, though, I'd have maintained U.S. 89 to Wickenburg but no further.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.