News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Google just started claiming that I-81 north of NY 12 is not a freeway.  Before that, they claimed that ON 137 on Hill Island was.  Can't they understand that a route can be a freeway in the US and a two lane road in Canada?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Here's a good one that I just spotted.

http://g.co/maps/2bvbk

There's been a new alignment of the WB lanes of the PA Turnpike (I-76/I-70) heading towards the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel since at least July '09, however, Google shows the old alignment for the WB lanes.  Heck, they even have StreetView of the new alignment shown in the correct place, yet they show the old road on the map.

vdeane

My guess is that it's because the satellite imagery is outdated; the reviewers seem to think the imagery is gospel even when it's ancient.  I guess the concept of roads being re-aligned is foreign to them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vtk

I added a bike trail in MapMaker once, and the reviewer commented something like "the geometry doesn't match aerialv imagery; I've fixed this".  I didn't notice any change in my geometry, but I wonder what the reviewer thought he saw – the imagery was at least a year older than the earliest  construction work on the bike path. (I derived my geometry from a GPS trace i'd taken.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: deanej on March 05, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
My guess is that it's because the satellite imagery is outdated; the reviewers seem to think the imagery is gospel even when it's ancient.  I guess the concept of roads being re-aligned is foreign to them.

Well, I just recently tested out the directions in that area and they use the new alignment.  So, it seems the tiles just haven't been updated yet.

Eisenhower

According to Google Maps, GA 400 is now officially "I-585" between I-85 and I-285 (unconfirmed).

NE2

Whoa. Someone got that past the censors.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2012, 01:33:24 AM
Whoa. Someone got that past the censors.

It hasn't made it into the directions yet.  Let's see how long it will stay on the map without one of us reporting it. LOL.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 14, 2012, 01:53:15 AM
It hasn't made it into the directions yet.  Let's see how long it will stay on the map without one of us reporting it. LOL.

Well, if one of us reports it, then it probably gets the ol' "Please kindly undo this edit" from the know-nothings at Google.

Alex

That is a great error, I hope it stays as long as possible.  :-D

Alps

What if they know something we don't...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Steve on March 14, 2012, 06:48:15 PM
What if they know something we don't...

Since when has Google ever been ahead of the game? LOL.

Anyways, here's a quick link to it so we can all keep tabs on this phantom Interstate. :bigass:

hbelkins

Someone needs to contact GDOT and see if they have made any requests to FHWA and/or AASHTO.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 14, 2012, 01:25:24 PM

Well, if one of us reports it, then it probably gets the ol' "Please kindly undo this edit" from the know-nothings at Google.

Out of curiosity: what happens if you don't comply with their request to "undo this edit"?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2012, 06:19:14 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 14, 2012, 01:25:24 PM

Out of curiosity: what happens if you don't comply with their request to "undo this edit"?

They keep harassing you to do it until they eventually do it themselves after about a month, maybe month and a half.  That's the experience I encountered with that whole "I-381 is NOT a Freeway" mentality I experienced last year till then finally got it correct.

Brian556

In Tennessee. US 31A is marked as "US 31" I used street view to check the signs, they all say "31A".

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on March 17, 2012, 12:54:33 AM
In Tennessee. US 31A is marked as "US 31" I used street view to check the signs, they all say "31A".
Yes, we know that Google borks banners (even fake ones).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alex on March 14, 2012, 06:15:17 PM
That is a great error, I hope it stays as long as possible.  :-D

Now if they could mark again the unsigned roads like NJ-444 (Garden State Parkway) or FL-91 (FL Tpk). ;)

Would be interesting if Google Maps showed the Queen Elizabeth Way marked as QEW just like in the MapArt and Rand-McNally road maps like for example in this MapArt map.

Eth

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 17, 2012, 09:25:42 AMNow if they could mark again the unsigned roads like NJ-444 (Garden State Parkway) or FL-91 (FL Tpk). ;)

They do mark some of them.  See, for instance, the GA 403 shield on I-85 in the I-585 error link above.

hbelkins

They also show Kentucky's parkways with their hidden 9000-series inventory numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Booo, the I-585 error in Atlanta is now gone. :(

Who here reported it?

WNYroadgeek

Google broke NY 21: http://g.co/maps/wz6m7

You can still route directions on the broken part, though: http://g.co/maps/fs727

kphoger

Oh, I hate broken highways.  Google broke Mexican federal highway 40 between Saltillo and Torreón.  Apparently half of this divided highway just doesn't exist for a little bit.  Getting directions doesn't work either, and would involve driving on roads that can barely be called paved anymore.
http://g.co/maps/u7b5d
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 21, 2012, 11:21:34 AM
Oh, I hate broken highways.  Google broke Mexican federal highway 40 between Saltillo and Torreón.  Apparently half of this divided highway just doesn't exist for a little bit.  Getting directions doesn't work either, and would involve driving on roads that can barely be called paved anymore.

if I saw those directions, I'd assume "oh, the road isn't actually broken" and mentally eliminate that small kink.

from the satellite image, it looks like the road is in good shape... if it turns out to be broken in real life, I suppose I'd ask the locals what to do.

in related news: that is an awesome salt flat.  I must go there.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 21, 2012, 11:27:54 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 21, 2012, 11:21:34 AM

if I saw those directions, I'd assume "oh, the road isn't actually broken" and mentally eliminate that small kink.

from the satellite image, it looks like the road is in good shape... if it turns out to be broken in real life, I suppose I'd ask the locals what to do.

in related news: that is an awesome salt flat.  I must go there.

Yes, one would naturally assume the highway still continued, especially if there were no warning signs advising otherwise.  However, it makes calculating accurate distances on Google maps difficult, because eastbound and westbound lanes separate and have different lenghts along there.

As far as the road being in good condition.... Satellite imagery of the area is old:  it hasn't been updated since I first starting viewing the area in 2008.  I have not personally driven that stretch of highway, but I have been within 32 miles as recently as March of last year, and I think I would have heard about some natural disaster wiping out the primary east-west highway in north-central México if something like that had indeed happened.  For example, you might just suspect there to be a thread in the Mexican highway threads on SkyscraperCity.  So, yeah, the road is still there.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.