News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

QC 138 - filling in the gap

Started by mtantillo, September 25, 2014, 05:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtantillo

In preparation for the roadtrip up to Quebec City, I've been looking into options for what to do afterwards...one of the options being a rather long drive up QC 138. That got me thinking about how there is a second segment of QC 138 in far eastern Quebec, from Vieux Fort to Blanc Sablon and into Labrador. I know there are many who would like to see QC 138 completed through the missing gap (approximately 175 miles, as the crow flies), which include the locals, Newfoundland (via the ferries across the Strait of Belle Isle), and Labrador (who would get another access route to the mainland). And then there is some opposition from the First Nations.

What is the liklihood of this gap actually being filled in? What is a realistic timeline for it? Would the route be designated as part of the TCH, especially if a fixed crossing to Newfoundland were ever built (making it the primary access route)?

That would make one truly neat, but LONG drive. The distance is desceptively far...Quebec City is actually 100 miles closer to Washington, DC than to Blanc Sablon!

oscar

I'll second the "deceptively far" part.  My round trip in 2012 from Baie-Comeau to Riviere-au-Tonnerre (westernmost community in MRC Minganie) took me all day.  And that's less than half of the total length of QC 138 between Quebec city and its current east end (not counting the separate Blanc Sablon segment). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

As far as I'm aware any proposals to extend either segment of Route 138 are just long range possibilities. Nothing is being actively planned or likely to happen any time soon.

Quebec was spending a lot of money on new roads a few years ago but at this point those projects are largely wrapping up and not nearly as many new projects are starting. I believe this has something to do with the election results earlier this year, the current provincial government is not as interested in road construction as the previous one was.

This could change, but as best I can figure any completion of Route 138 is probably decades away from reality. Especially considering there are many other projects which would be of more practical utility, so it's not likely to be a priority.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Fugazi

My guess is that Quebec will slowly keep working at extending R-138, but at the current pace it may take 50 years before it's completed. That is, unless something major like a hydroelectric or mining project kicks off in the area and they need to move building equipment and materials.

The MTQ website appears to be down right now, but unless I'm mistaken there is a project to extend the road to the next village or two along the coast in the short term.

Henry

Quote from: Duke87 on September 25, 2014, 09:08:34 PM
As far as I'm aware any proposals to extend either segment of Route 138 are just long range possibilities. Nothing is being actively planned or likely to happen any time soon.

Quebec was spending a lot of money on new roads a few years ago but at this point those projects are largely wrapping up and not nearly as many new projects are starting. I believe this has something to do with the election results earlier this year, the current provincial government is not as interested in road construction as the previous one was.

This could change, but as best I can figure any completion of Route 138 is probably decades away from reality. Especially considering there are many other projects which would be of more practical utility, so it's not likely to be a priority.
I wonder how the A-35 construction is coming along? As for QC 138, the large gap would be very costly to fill in, and I think that the faster way would be to toll the Autoroutes again, which I doubt will ever happen, given the current administration's stance on the transportation issues stated above.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

The first two segments are scheduled to open later this year.  The final two are in limbo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2014, 01:05:29 PM
The first two segments are scheduled to open later this year.  The final two are in limbo.

If you're referring to A-35 rather than QC 138, any idea of when this year the new A-35 segments are scheduled to open?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

Quote from: oscar on September 26, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

If you're referring to A-35 rather than QC 138, any idea of when this year the new A-35 segments are scheduled to open?

A-35 segments 1 and 2 are still officially "fall 2014", but no specific date has been committed to yet, so I suspect there will be some more delays.

Segments 3 and 4 are currently unfunded, and considering the history of this highway it may yet be another couple decades before we actually see it finished.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Henry

Quote from: oscar on September 26, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

If you're referring to A-35 rather than QC 138...
I was.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

QuoteWould the route be designated as part of the TCH, especially if a fixed crossing to Newfoundland were ever built (making it the primary access route)?

I highly doubt we'll ever see a fixed crossing across the Labrador Straits (or Straits of Belle Isle).  Unlike the Northumberland Strait (between NB/NS and PEI), the Labrador Straits are deep...almost 300ft.  A tunnel might be possible, but it would be fantastically expensive and I doubt the return-on-investment would be there for such an endeavor.

Ren97

Quote from: Fugazi on September 25, 2014, 09:28:00 PM
The MTQ website appears to be down right now

It's been on-and-off for a few weeks now. Not cool but we have to deal with it.

Fugazi

Quote from: Ren97 on October 02, 2014, 07:22:28 PM
It's weird, on the welcome page the MTQ almost make it sound like they have lost everything and they're rebuilding the site from scratch.

Anyway, I thought I would add that the current government is pushing hard for increased natural resource extraction in Northern Quebec and for improved road, rail and air access to the remotest areas. Improvement or extension of some of the northernmost roads (R-389, R-138, James Bay Road, Trans-Taiga Road) over the next decade or so is likely if their plans are carried out.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Ren97 on October 02, 2014, 07:22:28 PM
Quote from: Fugazi on September 25, 2014, 09:28:00 PM
The MTQ website appears to be down right now

I usually give it a refresh or two and it ends up showing up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.