News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway 401 in Ontario - busiest freeway in the world

Started by Chris, April 23, 2009, 12:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 26, 2015, 10:26:44 PM
Looking at StreetView, here's what I can piece together of what the new exit numbers will be:
WB:
?: ON-3 (original end of 401) (no idea, imagery from 2014)
?: Todd Lane (no idea, imagery from 2014)
5: ON-3 to the Ambassador Bridge https://goo.gl/maps/INIi4
?: Ojibway Parkway (too far away from E.C. Row)

EB:
?: E.C. Row (gore sign not posted yet at time StreetView was there)
6: Todd Lane https://goo.gl/maps/jrKfD
?: ON-3 (original end of 401) (no idea, imagery from 2014)

Guess this is better than nothing. lol.

There's an Exit 7 I saw in the Westbound video, but I don't know where.

10: ON-3 (original end of 401) Eastbound

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 27, 2015, 09:03:48 AM
There's also these 2 videos posted on Youtube who might give more clues about the new exit numbers.

Thanks for posting those two videos.  Was able to get 2 more exit numbers from them.  Updated my post on the previous page.

Also, it seems that they will be ending the 401 temporarily @ Exit #5, even though you still will be able to go all the way to Ojibway Parkway.

vdeane

That could also be temporary signage.  The section between the exit for ON 3 and Ojibway Parkway isn't done and won't be opening until later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: vdeane on June 28, 2015, 03:37:41 PM
That could also be temporary signage.  The section between the exit for ON 3 and Ojibway Parkway isn't done and won't be opening until later.

The way it's stripped at Exit #5 seems to indicate that it will open to Ojibway Parkway on opening day.  There is a lane that goes to the left.  You can clearly see this @ the 9:15 minute mark of the WB video. https://youtu.be/4eSBPVkJpfI?t=9m15s

AsphaltPlanet

naw.  Hwy 401 will end just east of the EC Row Expressway interchange at Labelle Street until the new bridge is opened in 2020 (ish).  Despite the fact that the highway was fully striped as far as Ojibiway Parkway, its not going to be opened for another 5 years.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

lordsutch

Now updated in OSM (including adding a ramp that got missed earlier); it will take a bit longer to show up in high zooms and get into the OSRM routing database, but I already dirtied the tile cache at each level so the area should rerender soon.

iBallasticwolf2

Has construction on the bridge over the Detroit River even started yet? Or are NIMBYs screwing with it?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

lordsutch

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: lordsutch on June 29, 2015, 04:44:22 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 29, 2015, 04:33:06 PM
Has construction on the bridge over the Detroit River even started yet? Or are NIMBYs screwing with it?

Latest news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/local-companies-to-submit-qualifications-for-gordie-howe-bridge-work-1.3127450

Seems like it is going through well and at the international level NIMBYs won't screw with it.

vdeane

Why does the new section of ON 401 have such a low speed limit?  60 kph?  Seriously?  Even parallel ON 3 has 80 kph!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2015, 06:29:08 PM
Why does the new section of ON 401 have such a low speed limit?  60 kph?  Seriously?  Even parallel ON 3 has 80 kph!

I believe it's because the lanes were reduced to two lanes, and the highway isn't complete its construction yet. Surprised me as well though.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 29, 2015, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2015, 06:29:08 PM

I believe it's because the lanes were reduced to two lanes, and the highway isn't complete its construction yet. Surprised me as well though.

When construction is finished the speed will probably be 90 to 100 kph.

MisterSG1

Check the Blue Water Bridge approaches on Highway 402 and look at the incredibly slow speed limit there and you'll find your answer....

lordsutch

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 29, 2015, 06:49:19 PM

Correct. I believe in the design plans it's supposed to be signed at 80-100 km/h when it's finished, with the limit dropping near the Huron Church Rd exit, probably due to the 90-degree curve and the possibility of traffic backups. Eastbound I think it's planned to be 90 along the section inside EC Row. Of course, MTO might decide to post something different when it's done.

My understanding is that it's supposed to be opened all the way to Ojibway Parkway when the work on the connecting ramps and roadways are done, rather than just sitting there for years until the GHIB is done, although it might not be signed as 401 westbound at the Huron Church exit to discourage non-local traffic (perhaps "Truck Ferry to USA" or something), since it will divert some traffic away from using the Huron Church/EC Row parclo, particularly the truck ferry traffic and local traffic destined for points east rather than Windsor.

cbeach40

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 29, 2015, 07:08:25 PM

The most recently released plans call for it to be 80 km/h from the bridge to the diversion from the ECR alignment, then 90 km/h from there to approximately Cousineau Rd, then 100 km/h from Cousineau Road easterly. I don't know if they've changed anything, but that was the most recent plans for that stretch once the construction crews clear out.

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 29, 2015, 08:01:33 PM
Check the Blue Water Bridge approaches on Highway 402 and look at the incredibly slow speed limit there and you'll find your answer....

Beginning at the BWB plaza, it's 80 km/h for 1710 m, then opens up to the full 100 km/h. Not really "incredibly slow" by any stretch of the imagination.
Now, before reconstruction it was a 70 km/h zone for a while out further, and during the work that was reduced to 50 km/h under the DCZ. Now that was painful.
and waterrrrrrr!

SignGeek101

Google still didn't (it's been a day and a half, c'mon now! :-D ) have the road updated, so I sent an email to Google. They should have it fixed soon hopefully.

Quote from: cbeach40 on June 30, 2015, 10:49:02 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 29, 2015, 07:08:25 PM

The most recently released plans call for it to be 80 km/h from the bridge to the diversion from the ECR alignment, then 90 km/h from there to approximately Cousineau Rd, then 100 km/h from Cousineau Road easterly. I don't know if they've changed anything, but that was the most recent plans for that stretch once the construction crews clear out.

Here: http://www.hgparkway.ca/sites/default/files/pdfs/WEP%207th%20PIOH%20-%20Roll%20Plan%20WEB.pdf

Document was slow to load on my computer. Red speed limits are the 401.

iBallasticwolf2

Google updated it! Now it shows the completed part of the Herb Gray parkway! :D

rickmastfan67

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 01, 2015, 08:54:08 AM
Google updated it! Now it shows the completed part of the Herb Gray parkway! :D

Only problem is that they still show tons of buildings in the corridor and overtop of both {3} & {401}.

02 Park Ave

Was the Herb Gray Parkway timed to be open for Canada Day or was it just a coincidence?
C-o-H

Chris

Imagery is also available in the historical imagery layer of Google Earth, dated March 2015.

SignGeek101

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 01, 2015, 12:01:52 PM
Was the Herb Gray Parkway timed to be open for Canada Day or was it just a coincidence?

It opened on Monday. That would have been nice if they opened it on Canada Day though. They could have some sort of 8 km walk / run similar to what happened before the 404 extension opened last September.

jakeroot

Maybe off topic, but what's the opinion of Windsor residents in regards to the extension? Any ideas?

Alps

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on July 01, 2015, 06:25:34 PM
Maybe off topic, but what's the opinion of Windsor residents in regards to the extension? Any ideas?

Not sure, but I would think reactions would be mixed. Although environmental concerns were addressed, a large portion of tall grass prairie habitat was destroyed. However, through traffic has been drastically reduced, which can only mean locals would be pleased. The highway is of course below grade, so noise won't be as much of a concern.

Quote from: Alps on July 01, 2015, 11:51:34 PM
All traffic forced off at Ojibway for now?

Labelle Street. Apparently (according to Satellite) striping is done all the way to Ojibway, but isn't opened yet. Should open later this year hopefully.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.