News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut's covered bridges (photos!)

Started by relaxok, February 08, 2011, 02:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relaxok

I did a search and noticed nobody posted these, so I thought I would...

First is Cornwall Bridge in West Cornwall, CT.. a beauty isn't it?

Some info:

The Cornwall Bridge (also known as Bridge No. 560) is a two-lane, concrete arch bridge carrying U.S. Route 7 and Route 4 over the Housatonic River and the Housatonic Railroad in Northwestern Connecticut. It was built in 1930 by C.W. Blakeslee and Sons for the Connecticut Highway Department and consists of 6 open-spandrel arches spanning 205.4 m, and is a fairly large example of concrete open-spandrel construction. The bridge was reconstructed in 1994 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Second awhile away, is Bulls Bridge in Kent, CT.. not aesthetically pleasing but cool nonetheless.. and extremely old!

Bull's Bridge is a single-lane vehicular wooden covered bridge across the Housatonic River in the town of Kent, Connecticut. The bridge uses lattice truss design by Ithiel Town and was built in 1842 out of timber. Queen post trusses were added later in the 19th century as secondary support. The bridge was further reinforced in 1969 by the addition of steel beams beneath the deck. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

Lastly, the covered bridge at Southford Falls in Southford, CT - I don't think this was ever part of an auto road or if it was a horse trail only, but I enjoy it as well..

MAX IMAGE WIDTH 800 please

Alps

Quote from: relaxok on February 08, 2011, 02:20:51 AM
I did a search and noticed nobody posted these, so I thought I would...

First is Cornwall Bridge in West Cornwall, CT.. a beauty isn't it?

Some info:

The Cornwall Bridge (also known as Bridge No. 560) is a two-lane, concrete arch bridge carrying U.S. Route 7 and Route 4 over the Housatonic River and the Housatonic Railroad in Northwestern Connecticut. It was built in 1930 by C.W. Blakeslee and Sons for the Connecticut Highway Department and consists of 6 open-spandrel arches spanning 205.4 m, and is a fairly large example of concrete open-spandrel construction. The bridge was reconstructed in 1994 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

You put the West Cornwall Bridge. Cornwall Bridge photos are coming up sometime this year on my site, but it's a tall and gorgeous concrete arch.

relaxok

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 08, 2011, 11:24:45 PM
You put the West Cornwall Bridge. Cornwall Bridge photos are coming up sometime this year on my site, but it's a tall and gorgeous concrete arch.

Looking forward to them!  It's always been a favorite of mine

xcellntbuy

It has been a long time since I have been over that bridge and yes, it is quite a beauty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.