News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US routes - multiple multiplexes

Started by prenatt1166, February 02, 2012, 03:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prenatt1166

While browsing through an old atlas I noticed US 6 and US 34 overlap three separate times (CO, NE, IL).  Is that the most for two US routes ? 

What are some other examples past or present (US, state or Interstate) ?

US 6 and US 322 (2 times) Cleveland, OH and Conneaut Lake/Meadville, PA

national highway 1

US 6/US 50 overlap three times from eastern Nevada through Utah to Colorado.
1. From Ely, NV to Delta, UT
2. From I-70 Exit 157 in UT to Exit 11 in CO
3. From I-70 Exit 26 in CO to the junction of BL I-70 and North Ave in Grand Junction, CO
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mapmikey

US 20-26 has 4 separate duplexes if you allow 20 Bus-26 in Idaho Falls.

US 10-12 used to have 4 distinct duplexes (5 if they ever did in Detroit) - 2 in Montana, Minneapolis, and another in Wisconsin.

US 64-70 used to have 4 in NC alone (I think...there have been so many reroutings it would take some research to see if they were all around at the same time) plus one in Memphis

Mapmikey

Alps

US 6/44 overlap on I-84 in Hartford and on I-195 in Providence. It's foolish to follow 44 between the two.

Takumi

US 1 and 301 have two: Richmond to Petersburg, VA and then again in the Jacksonville area.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dfilpus

US 1 and 401 have two in NC.
US 14 and 16 have two in WY.
US 1, US 15 and US 501 have two in NC.

US71

71/59 overlap between Texarkana and Acorn, AR

also St. Joseph to near Savannah, MO
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

26/30 overlap through Caldwell, ID then again from Boise to Bliss ID, then again west of Ogallala, NE

US-62 and 82 concur from Ralls into Lubbock, split through Lubbock, and then go again to Brownfield.

hbelkins

In the "almost but not quite" department, US 23 north runs with US 19 north through North Carolina, then they split. In Tennessee, US 23 picks up US 19W.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: national highway 1 on February 02, 2012, 05:56:38 AM
US 6/US 50 overlap three times from eastern Nevada through Utah to Colorado.
1. From Ely, NV to Delta, UT
2. From I-70 Exit 157 in UT to Exit 11 in CO
3. From I-70 Exit 26 in CO to the junction of BL I-70 and North Ave in Grand Junction, CO
I believe that, officially, U.S. 6 and 50 are concurrent between Green River UT and Grand Junction CO, including the surface route section just west of Grand Junction that is only posted as U.S. 6. Colorado generally only posts one route of a concurrency, and so U.S. 50 isn't posted from its junction with BL I-70 to Green River. Utah is inconsistent in posting concurrent U.S. routes along interstates, and does not post either U.S. 6 or 50 - nor 191 either - along eastern I-70.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hbelkins

Had forgotten about a Kentucky example. US 60 and US 62 enter Kentucky together (from Illinois, with US 51) and then separate, then join again in Paducah, then join again further east in Versailles (in a wrong-way instance, east US 60 there is west US 62) before they split for good.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bassoon1986

US 90 and 98 come very close to having 2 overlaps. They do in Mobile and are only a couple of blocks apart in Pensacola.

US 59 and 69 overlap twice. The loop around Lufkin, TX and in Afton, OK

NE2

Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 10, 2012, 12:43:14 AM
They do in Mobile and are only a couple of blocks apart in Pensacola.
They do in Pensacola. They also split briefly at the south end of US 31, and overlap wrong-way in Mobile (US 90 goes over the bridge to the north), so that's 4.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

national highway 1

US 60/70 used to be overlapped from Globe, AZ to Beaumont CA, before splitting into US 60 and US 70/99 and then rejoining in Pomona before being overlapped all the way to Los Angeles.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

ctsignguy

Quote from: Steve on February 02, 2012, 07:13:19 AM
US 6/44 overlap on I-84 in Hartford and on I-195 in Providence. It's foolish to follow 44 between the two.

You forgot an overlap: 44 jumps off to a surface street in E Hartford while 6 east continues on I-84...they overlap again in Manchester a few miles east until they get to Bolton, then split again until they arrive in Providence
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

NE2

It might be interesting to look at all cases of pairs of U.S. Routes intersecting twice and see which one if either is the better route.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

national highway 1

Quote from: national highway 1 on February 10, 2012, 01:04:09 AM
US 60/70 used to be overlapped from Globe, AZ to Beaumont CA, before splitting into US 60 and US 70/99 and then rejoining in Pomona before being overlapped all the way to Los Angeles.
I forgot one - US 60 and 70 also overlap in Clovis NM

roadman65

US 78 and 278 overlap twice in GA.  One in Augusta and the other in the Metro Atlanta area.
US 98 and US 301 both overlap twice near Dade City, FL.  Even though they are not signed that way, one goes through town while the other bypasses it.  They both are officially together north and south of the city.

US 278 did once overlap its parent in Alabama before the current US 78 freeway was constructed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 10, 2012, 01:09:31 AM
Quote from: Steve on February 02, 2012, 07:13:19 AM

You forgot an overlap: 44 jumps off to a surface street in E Hartford while 6 east continues on I-84...they overlap again in Manchester a few miles east until they get to Bolton, then split again until they arrive in Providence
At one time, US 6 & 44 exited off 195 prior to its merge w/95.

In the Danbury area, US 6, 7 & 202 run along a few miles along I-84.  In fact, the 6 & 202 multiplex  (NOT the segment along I-84) west of Danbury goes for about 6-7 miles into NY State.  It splits just west of NY 22.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

US 1 and US 301 do that.  Once from Callahan, FL to Homeland, GA.  The other from Petersburg, VA to Richmond, VA.
Then you have US 98 and US 319 being concurrent twice in Florida.
You once had US 98 and US 441 twice, but US 98 was resigned to US 441 at their parting and US 98 is now called by its FDOT state number there.

Basically US 98 does it with three different other US Routes if you count US 301.  Matter of fact US 98 junctions with all N-S US Routes except US 23 and runs concurrent with almost every N-S US designation in the  Sunshine State peninsula.  That is why it had a unique color BLACK when colored US Route shields were in use throughout Florida.  Colors were never duplicated for routes that intersected each other except US 27 and US 192 that both used green colors only cause when the shields were issued, US 192 was only a small child until Mickey Mouse made it more grown up. The rule was broken after 1972 at the intrastate US route's terminus was extended to be a tourist corridor.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2012, 03:20:14 PM
US 192 was only a small child until Mickey Mouse made it more grown up.
That sounds wrong.

roadman65

Well, when you think about it Disney is the primary reason for US 192 to be extended from its Kissimmee terminus.  So therefore Mickey did let US 192 grow more. 

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

No, I'm implying pedophilic actions on the part of Mickey.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 25, 2012, 03:45:57 PM
No, I'm implying pedophilic actions on the part of Mickey.
That sounds wrong, too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.