News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

So many roads...so little time.

Hellfighter

florida

It's one of the follies of Walton County  :spin: There's a small cross on the roof. 

mefailenglish

Quote from: flaroadgeek on July 04, 2009, 12:05:38 AM
The replacement for the raised black lettering on white background Argyle guide sign, along with a typical Walton County county road assembly. Photo taken 07/03/09.

As you can see, another great piece of Florida history gets removed in favor for this...
Scratch one stop off my list for December.  Thanks, Walton County.

agentsteel53

does that white Florida State Line sign have buttons in it?  (The regular one, not the shitty Walton County product!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
does that white Florida State Line sign have buttons in it?  (The regular one, not the shitty Walton County product!)

If that is the one near the state high point, then there are no buttons on it. I've seen it a couple of times myself.

florida

It is the one near the highest point, and Alex is right.

thomasvista

Oh the relics of the Panhandle! Gadsden County has some ancient black-on-white signs like that, along with a couple of the old-school Florida shields. There's even a goofy NJ-style shield for SR 65 along CR 65B.

agentsteel53

do you happen to have a photo of the Boring Circle Shield (tm)?

jake@aaroads.com

florida

I have one in my collection. There is one other photo in the erroneous shields thread of SR 267 getting circle-ized.

agentsteel53

the 65 is bad, the 267 is worse.  I forget where else I have seen a similar shield (rectangular blank, perfect circle inside, yielding extra left and right margins)

jake@aaroads.com

florida

There must be a lot of people who have a literal take on the job of signing roads. "Well, if it's a circle on the map, then..."

florida

There are BBS up on SR 50 stating the widening from Semoran Bv/436 to Dean Road will be done by Summer 2010.

florida

Just skimming through the new report (7/7/09)...

-SR 5098 has been decommissioned.
-SR 812 has been commissioned on Hooker Highway between SR 715 and US 441 in Belle Glade.
-The street name for World Center Drive east of SR 535 states, "CR 536/World Center Drive", the first time that's been stated.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on July 20, 2009, 03:37:36 AM

-SR 812 has been commissioned on Hooker Highway between SR 715 and US 441 in Belle Glade.
-The street name for World Center Drive east of SR 535 states, "CR 536/World Center Drive", the first time that's been stated.

I was just looking at the most current copy of the GIS Route files and noticed that US-98/301 Business in Dade City is still alive even after the decommissioning with the AASHTO.  According to the GIS, the main approaches are still on the books as the twin business routes.

From the looks of the data, it seems the Northern part ends @ Pond Ave, and the Southern part goes only as far as Southview Ave.  This also goes for the state route numbers 700 & 35.  Anybody have any reason why those small segments would still be on the books?

Also, it seems that US-98 has a GAP in Lakeland. :wow:  Somebody please tell me that they forgot the small segment there in the GIS.  I don't want to have to split up the US-98 @ the Clinched Highway site..... :banghead:

And florida (or anybody else), do you know of any "official" route logs besides what info on the routes I can get in the GIS files?

Also, any roadgeek that works on the FL State Highway pages on Wikipedia might want to go in and fix up the FL-30E page or even separate it from the FL-30A page.  The Route is still alive and well, but the wikipedia page says it's dead.  I decided to double check on this via StreetView (yes, they have it in that area) when I noticed it was still listed in the GIS files, and the route is posted.  Here's the Streetview view

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 20, 2009, 09:15:09 AM

I was just looking at the most current copy of the GIS Route files and noticed that US-98/301 Business in Dade City is still alive even after the decommissioning with the AASHTO.  According to the GIS, the main approaches are still on the books as the twin business routes.

From the looks of the data, it seems the Northern part ends @ Pond Ave, and the Southern part goes only as far as Southview Ave.  This also goes for the state route numbers 700 & 35.  Anybody have any reason why those small segments would still be on the books?

Also, it seems that US-98 has a GAP in Lakeland. :wow:  Somebody please tell me that they forgot the small segment there in the GIS.  I don't want to have to split up the US-98 @ the Clinched Highway site..... :banghead:

And florida (or anybody else), do you know of any "official" route logs besides what info on the routes I can get in the GIS files?

Also, any roadgeek that works on the FL State Highway pages on Wikipedia might want to go in and fix up the FL-30E page or even separate it from the FL-30A page.  The Route is still alive and well, but the wikipedia page says it's dead.  I decided to double check on this via StreetView (yes, they have it in that area) when I noticed it was still listed in the GIS files, and the route is posted.  Here's the Streetview view

FDOT is like that when maintaining roads, they'll decommission a road, but still maintain the approaches. Other examples are SR 30B in downtown Pensacola which is an old alignment of an SR 30 spur on Gregory St, but Gregory St was realigned around the Civic Center, yet the old routing is still maintained (it's now Gregory Place or Plaza, can't remember), and SR 557.

That break in US 98 has always been shown as one ever since they realigned it 3-4 years ago. It is signed through. I don't know why they haven't connected it yet, but there is another "break" in Destin at the old alignment.

Wikipedia is crap when it comes to Florida State Routes. They list an SR 30A in Walton County when it is CR 30A, and they state that SR 800 runs west of US 1, which it does not. Don't expect much from them, it's probably several people doing overzealous updating. 30E is still very much alive.

Not sure if you know, but Business US 1 in St. Augustine has had its northern terminus truncated to the Castillo de San Marcos. It probably is signed as a through route for continuity.

I don't know of any "official" route logs except for the Fed-Aid report, but I would like to make one and keep it updated using the information they provide. And not on Wikipedia, they're such Nazis over there...stub this and stub that, this article needs cleaned up, you need to provde citations  :banghead: :ded: How am I supposed to write a 5 paragraph essay on an SR that is less than a mile long?

The Fed-Aid maps on FDOT's site are the best thing you can use to check for state routes because they update them every month during Hurricane Season (at least).

thomasvista

What GIS files are you looking at? The ones from FDOT's website are derived from the Roadway Characteristics Inventory (RCI), which I work with at District 4. Whatever the attribute data in the shapefiles say is pretty much correct, unless there are errors in RCI (which there are, it's not perfect).

I can provide you with official mileage of roads. Whenever I get some down time at work, I can get them for you.

thomasvista

BTW, the FDOT shapefiles are updated monthly. Any changes in the RCI would be reflected in the shapefiles in the following month.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: thomasvista on July 20, 2009, 05:56:47 PM

What GIS files are you looking at? The ones from FDOT's website are derived from the Roadway Characteristics Inventory (RCI), which I work with at District 4. Whatever the attribute data in the shapefiles say is pretty much correct, unless there are errors in RCI (which there are, it's not perfect).

I can provide you with official mileage of roads. Whenever I get some down time at work, I can get them for you.

I'm downloading the data from here: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/statistics/gis/road.shtm

realjd

Quote from: florida on July 04, 2009, 11:44:11 PM
On a side note, I-95 is 6-laned from SR 519 to SR 528 with work remaining down to CR 509 or further. There is a new overpass (and exit?) at Mile 188...could be a Pineda Causeway extension? At the SR 514 exit, they must've added an extra lane on the SB off-ramp, because there are overhead BGSs recognizing Brevard CR 514 along with SR 514 as opposed to the trailblazers for SR 514 that used to be at the ramp (those are gone).

Did they finally open the new lanes north of SR-519? It's about time. And yes, they're going to 6-lane it all the way down to Palm Bay Rd (CR-516). The new exit will be the Pineda Causeway extension that they've been talking about for the past 20 years. They're finally getting around to building it.

I've always wondered about the Pineda Causeway's number. It's signed SR-404, but isn't anywhere near SR-50, let alone north of it! I wonder what they were thinking when they did that...

florida

Quote from: realjd on July 21, 2009, 11:14:27 AM
Quote from: florida on July 04, 2009, 11:44:11 PM
On a side note, I-95 is 6-laned from SR 519 to SR 528 with work remaining down to CR 509 or further. There is a new overpass (and exit?) at Mile 188...could be a Pineda Causeway extension? At the SR 514 exit, they must've added an extra lane on the SB off-ramp, because there are overhead BGSs recognizing Brevard CR 514 along with SR 514 as opposed to the trailblazers for SR 514 that used to be at the ramp (those are gone).

Did they finally open the new lanes north of SR-519? It's about time. And yes, they're going to 6-lane it all the way down to Palm Bay Rd (CR-516). The new exit will be the Pineda Causeway extension that they've been talking about for the past 20 years. They're finally getting around to building it.

I've always wondered about the Pineda Causeway's number. It's signed SR-404, but isn't anywhere near SR-50, let alone north of it! I wonder what they were thinking when they did that...

Yep, it's 6-laned from SR 519 to SR 528. Since it'll be the extension, will the whole thing become SR 404 after it's completed? I think some numbers are outside of the grid to differentiate them as more important roads than other roads in the area, so you can identify them easier. SR 404 is a limited access freeway serving Patrick AFB while all the other 5xx numbers in the area are at grade roads. SR 573 is south of SR 60 in Tampa, but it serves MacDill AFB, as opposed to other 6xx routes in the area. SR 112 in Miami is a direct route to MIA.

Get ready to say bye to the oldest BGS in the area, down there.

thomasvista

Few odds and ends......

• The new interchange at I-95 and Becker Road in Port St. Lucie is confirmed to be Exit 114, not 113 like some sources I have found. Our design office confirmed this.
  • There was a proposed SR 881 in Boca Raton. Apparently, there was a proposal to bring the access road to the Boca Raton Airport on system, and 881 was the proposed number. I don't know what happened to the idea - some more paperwork will need to be dug up
  • There appears to never have been a record of Palmetto Park Road in Boca Raton ever being SR 798. No records for SR 798 (or CR 798 for that matter) exist in FDOT's RCI. However, Palmetto Park Road from US 1 to A1A is in fact "secret" CR 808.
  • Someone had asked a question about SR 710. It did have a former eastern terminus at US 1. However, it was transferred off system officially as of May 16, 2002, and was physically removed by the Port of Palm Beach.

Alex

SR 30E is only signed with a junction shield from SR 30A southbound. No signage exists for it on CR-30A westbound, and I didn't notice any shielding on SR 30E leading away from the 30A combo either.

The shape files for FDOT do include a number of unsigned routes, and in Seminole, a handful of the 4000 series county roads. One change I noted from files last year and the ones from earlier this year is that they extended SR 750 west to SR 291 (still not signed in the field), and they readded CR-437A in Orange County.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AARoads on July 22, 2009, 02:56:17 AM
SR 30E is only signed with a junction shield from SR 30A southbound. No signage exists for it on CR-30A westbound, and I didn't notice any shielding on SR 30E leading away from the 30A combo either.

Wish Google would go back there.  Those StreetView images are horrible with all that glare.

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 22, 2009, 02:58:47 AM
Quote from: AARoads on July 22, 2009, 02:56:17 AM

Wish Google would go back there.  Those StreetView images are horrible with all that glare.

Yes, they shot images during the morning in the Gulf/Franklin County areas and the images are glared to death.

Flaroadgeek and I drove there late last month and shot most of the junctions. Someday they'll get posted online...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.