News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSF

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/12/i-565county_line_road_intercha.html

was in town today and saw this setup on the NW side of the interchange.

will add the 2 missing ramps, WB 565 to County Line and County Line to EB 565

codyg1985

I'm glad this project is getting started, but I don't like the proposed setup for the ramp from WB I-565 to County Line Road. It will loop around and merge with EB Madison Blvd, forcing drivers to merge across two lanes of traffic to turn left to access County Line Road NB, which is where most of the traffic using that ramp will be headed. Right now it won't be too big of an issue, but in a few years it will be a problem, especially if growth accelerates in the Limestone County portion of the city of Huntsville.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

banished

The Georgiana Bypass (State Rte 55) between State Rte 106 west of Georgiana on the north end, and US-31 south, south of Georgiana, opened on December 21, 2013.  The bypass saves a little over a mile compared to staying on SR-106 eastbound through Georgiana to US-31 southbound.  I have not driven it, yet, so cannot comment on the time saved.

mwb1848

Does the new alignment really give as much preference to drivers going from US 31 NB to Alabama 55 NB as this aerial suggests?

http://goo.gl/maps/3nCQl

It looks like you'd have to make a right turn to stay on US 31. It also looks like there's a similiar situation requiring EB traffic on Alabama 106 to make a left turn to continue in their original route.

http://goo.gl/maps/6wrce

Neither case should be that surprising, I guess, given the way Alabama 55 and US 31 intersect near McKenzie. It's clear which highway is ADOT's priority.

bdmoss88

Went through Centreville this weekend. It looks like all work currently being done on the bypass is on the east bound lanes so I assume that means that they plan to put two way traffic on one set of lanes then finish the other. I like that idea.

msunat97

What's the expected completion date for Centreville?

bdmoss88

I don't know but the Project Letting page at ALDOT has 300 working days so hopefully by Thanksgiving I'll be able to shave a few more minutes off the trip to see family.

codyg1985

You know, it dawned on me the other day just how much of US 82 in Alabama is only two lanes. Outside of Tuscaloosa, Prattville, and west of Reform, it is two lanes. Hopefully one day US 82 will be four lanes from Prattville west to the Mississippi state line, but I guess we will have to keep dreaming for that day to come.
Cody Goodman

msunat97

Highway 82 thru western Alabama is a shame...it's a great 4-lane drive from Greenville, MS to the Alabama state line...I'm glad that Alabama at least added more lanes for the first few miles entering the state.  It's too bad it can't bypass around Reform & the other small towns along the way to Tuscaloosa.

BamaZeus

There was a Reform and Gordo bypass planned, but too many people actually complained it would hurt city businesses.  I don't know how Jack's and Dollar General would ever survive this...

ttownfeen

It makes no sense either.  Tuscaloosa to Montgomery and Tuscaloosa to Columbus are fairly important routes.

ttownfeen

I don't know if it was posted elsewhere but I saw that ALDOT has effectively shelved the 759 extension project in Gadsden.

codyg1985

Quote from: ttownfeen on April 17, 2014, 12:41:56 PM
I don't know if it was posted elsewhere but I saw that ALDOT has effectively shelved the 759 extension project in Gadsden.

Where did you see that? I am not surprised by that, though.
Cody Goodman

froggie

According to the Gadsden Times, it was shelved back in January.  ALDOT recommended, and FHWA concurred, on the "no-build" option. (disregard the poor editing in the article..."Federal Highway Association...?")

Naturally, the Gadsden City Council was unhappy with the decision.  And the local Congressman promised Federal approval if the state would commit to the project.

Lastly, judging from this news clip I found, the proposal to extend I-759 east dates back over 20 years.

codyg1985

Engineering work is underway to design the additional lanes, access management, and additional signals along Ross Clark Circle between US 231 North and Bauman Drive in Dothan: http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/government/article_27cc595c-0705-11e4-b30d-0017a43b2370.html
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

This article discusses the updated timetable for extending the six lane portion of I-20/59 from Mile Marker 81 to McFarland Blvd in Tuscaloosa:

QuoteBut long-term plans to widen and repair this stretch of interstate will have to wait. While an original 8.8-mile construction plan to widen the interstate between Exit 73 at McFarland Boulevard and mile marker 81 near Cottondale was supposed to go to construction in 2013, it was delayed after bids came in above the $29 million cost estimate.

The work is now planned for three stages, with the area between McFarland Boulevard and Exit 77 at Buttermilk Road coming last and expected to go out to bid in December 2017. Construction is expected to get underway between Exit 79 and mile marker 81 in September and between Buttermilk Road and Exit 79 in 2015.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

There were tons of incandescent traffic lights and strobe beacons (some of which still used filament strobes) along US 231 between Montgomery and the Florida State Line when I went down to Port St. Joe, FL at the end of June. I think a few had been upgraded to LED while I was down there, can someone confirm that there are still incandescent signals down there along US 231?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

Expansion of Highway 167 between the Florida State Line at FL 79 and US 231 in Troy still a strong desire for area officials: http://www.southeastsun.com/news/article_1a009a4a-2172-11e4-97c8-0017a43b2370.html
Cody Goodman

bigdave

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 12, 2014, 08:13:44 AM
Expansion of Highway 167 between the Florida State Line at FL 79 and US 231 in Troy still a strong desire for area officials: http://www.southeastsun.com/news/article_1a009a4a-2172-11e4-97c8-0017a43b2370.html

An interesting tidbit in that article (at least to me) is that the Dothan I-10 connector/bypass has stirred somewhat to life. Time to fire up savedothan.com again I guess.  Which BTW, that domain is now available for purchase. Mission accomplished and all that, I guess. :D

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/article_0d4427a8-aa36-11e3-8b94-001a4bcf6878.html

David

formulanone

Boooooo! Hiss! One less reason to visit Demopolis...

On the other hand, this one's still up even though the road was repaved!

freebrickproductions

Does Demopolis have a bunch of 4-ways still? Or am I thinking of a different town that starts with the letter D?
EDIT: Yes they do, in fact, they still have this really old one in the downtown too.

Also, here's a new ramp on I-565 for the County Line Road exit:

New Ramp by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 02, 2014, 10:54:10 PM
Does Demopolis have a bunch of 4-ways still? Or am I thinking of a different town that starts with the letter D?
EDIT: Yes they do, in fact, they still have this really old one in the downtown too.

Yeah, there were at least four signals along US 80.

cjk374

Quote from: formulanone on September 02, 2014, 10:21:34 PM
Boooooo! Hiss! One less reason to visit Demopolis...

I don't get it...was something better here before?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Charles2

There used to be ancient button copy signs at this intersection.  The Clearview font signs are a recent change.

codyg1985

Button copy in all caps, if I remember correctly.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.