New Food Chains that you have found while on the road

Started by roadman65, July 01, 2015, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 20, 2015, 09:06:29 AM

And the donuts are crap compared to the local shops.  Another case of mass production perfecting mediocrity.

This, I agree with (sorry, I don't drink coffee, so I don't know about that comparison).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

english si

Quote from: Takumi on July 20, 2015, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: realjd on July 20, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
Nandos Peri-Peri is one of my favorite drunk food spots. I was really happy when they finally opened up some in DC.
To my knowledge, the ones in the DC area are the only ones in the US. I've wanted to go to one for years now, but I haven't had a bigger reason to go to DC.
There is no bigger reason to go to DC than this:

:-P

SSOWorld

Fatburger
In'n'Out
El Pollo Loco
Del Taco
BJ's Steakhouse
Elephant Bar
- all in Los Angeles area
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DaBigE

Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2015, 06:40:47 PM
Honey Dew is a pathetic substitute for Dunkin.

Dunkin, meanwhile, is a pathetic substitute for coffee.

And the donuts are crap compared to the local shops.  Another case of mass production perfecting mediocrity.

And the current reincarnation of Dunkin is a pathetic substitute for the Dunkin I grew up with (late 80s/early 90s). I rather have a doughnut from Hy-vee.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

The Nature Boy

Most chains have objectively bad food. I would happily choose a local place over a chain every time.

But chains are at least reliable. I know that a Dunkin in Portland, Maine is going to be the same (or relatively same) as one in Madison, Wisconsin. When you're traveling, that's important.

SSOWorld

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 21, 2015, 10:40:47 AM

Most chains have objectively bad food. I would happily choose a local place over a chain every time.

But chains are at least reliable. I know that a Dunkin in Portland, Maine is going to be the same (or relatively same) as one in Madison, Wisconsin. When you're traveling, that's important.
Not quite - would you try to find a dunkin in Moscow?

If you do, you deserve a medal.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 21, 2015, 10:44:10 AM

Not quite - would you try to find a dunkin in Moscow?

If you do, you deserve a medal.

When you're traveling domestically, at least.

But when I'm in Canada (for instance), I'd seek out a Harvey's because I've eaten there before and I know its menu items and quality. There are WAY too many bad local places to just blindly go to one. Yelp might be of some help but depending on how long your road trip is, that's a lot of pre-planning.

That being said, when I'm in my town, I eat at my local eateries and shop at local businesses.

spooky

Except that's not true at all. The coffee tastes different in other parts of the country because the water tastes different in other parts of the country.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DaBigE on July 20, 2015, 11:16:57 PMAnd the current reincarnation of Dunkin is a pathetic substitute for the Dunkin I grew up with (late 80s/early 90s). I rather have a doughnut from Hy-vee.

I have fond memories of sitting at the counter of Dunkin' Donuts eating chili from a ceramic bowl, drinking a soda from a washable and reusable plastic cup.  And this was as recent as the 1980s.

I'll agree with you — this consistency makes it possible to immediately rule out Dunkin' Donuts in other parts of the country, too.

Rothman

I lived in Russia for most of 1995.  I often thought of opening a doughnut shop there.

When I got back to the U.S., I learned Dunkin was already set to go in Moscow.

C'est la vie
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: spooky on July 21, 2015, 11:21:29 AM

Except that's not true at all. The coffee tastes different in other parts of the country because the water tastes different in other parts of the country.

Dunkin or a coffee place is probably a bad example for that. I'm not a big coffee guy but I would imagine that they at least taste similar, right?

McDonalds is roughly the same no matter where you go, ditto for most fast food places. A Big Mac in Boston is going to taste the same (or close to the same) as a Big Mac in Detroit. I've eaten at a McDonalds in both places and haven't noticed much of a difference. Maybe I just have dull taste buds or something.

corco

McDonald's is consistent from restaurant to restaurant, but inconsistent from experience to experience. A Big Mac is a Big Mac everywhere, but a Big Mac that has been sitting on the warmer for 20 minutes is not the same as a fresh one, and some franchises are worse about tossing old food than others.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: corco on July 21, 2015, 02:28:59 PM
McDonald's is consistent from restaurant to restaurant, but inconsistent from experience to experience. A Big Mac is a Big Mac everywhere, but a Big Mac that has been sitting on the warmer for 20 minutes is not the same as a fresh one, and some franchises are worse about tossing old food than others.

McDonald's vary greatly from country to country, at least:

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/article/crazy-meals-mcdonalds-menus-around-world.html

TheHighwayMan3561

At the one I worked at, they were very anal about throwing out old fries the second the quality timer expired. But they didn't give two shits about how long beef or chicken went past the recommended time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

realjd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 04:41:34 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/article/crazy-meals-mcdonalds-menus-around-world.html

All American fast food chains vary from country to country. In my experience they generally serve higher quality food outside of North America. KFC in particular has a very different (and better IMO) product overseas.

I generally avoid fast food while traveling internationally, but especially if I'm driving somewhere the convenience of it wins out over my desire to avoid American food - which I can get at home - overseas.

realjd

Quote from: english si on July 20, 2015, 04:58:51 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 20, 2015, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: realjd on July 20, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
Nandos Peri-Peri is one of my favorite drunk food spots. I was really happy when they finally opened up some in DC.
To my knowledge, the ones in the DC area are the only ones in the US. I've wanted to go to one for years now, but I haven't had a bigger reason to go to DC.
There is no bigger reason to go to DC than this:

:-P

Nandos just opened up in Chicago also. I keep hoping Nandos and Wagamama come to Orlando given the number of British tourists, although I expect realistically that we're low on the list.

Speaking of UK chains, I've had generally good experience at Wetherspoons pubs. The ones I've been to all have a good beer list and better than usual pub foods. I get the impression that it's basically the UK version of TGI Fridays or Chilis, but that's my go-to pub chain over there if I'm too lazy to find something actually local.

SignGeek101

Quote from: realjd on July 21, 2015, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 04:41:34 PM

All American fast food chains vary from country to country. In my experience they generally serve higher quality food outside of North America. KFC in particular has a very different (and better IMO) product overseas.

I generally avoid fast food while traveling internationally, but especially if I'm driving somewhere the convenience of it wins out over my desire to avoid American food - which I can get at home - overseas.

It is common for rice to be served while going to a KFC or McDonald's in Asia. But, they still have the basics:

Narita Airport, Japan

english si

Quote from: realjd on July 21, 2015, 06:49:14 PMSpeaking of UK chains, I've had generally good experience at Wetherspoons pubs. The ones I've been to all have a good beer list and better than usual pub foods.
I was with you wholeheartedly until 'better than usual pub foods', where I feel I have to add small caveat. It's not bad, and good for the price, and ahead of the chain pubs going for a similar market, but some independent pubs I've been to do as-good and even perhaps-slightly-better food for similar prices (though not as wide a menu) and there's some seriously good food at pubs that aim for a clientele that can and will pay significantly more for a meal.

The drinks are as good as the food - wide variety (except maybe wine?), decent prices, often promotions. Not a lot of pubs that sell a lot of food pull that off.
Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 21, 2015, 07:04:27 PMIt is common for rice to be served while going to a KFC or McDonald's in Asia. But, they still have the basics:
Ketchup is Asian.

-NCX75-

How 'bout Krispy Kreme? I haven't had it too too often but that is a chain that produces a good donut.

As to answer the question, I remember Carl's Jr before it came to Dallas... it was decent but it's no Whataburger.

Pete from Boston

I don't remember Krispy Kreme.  I had them in the south twenty years ago.  When they arrived here ten years or so ago, they were out of business so fast that I only had one once. 

Does Krispy Kreme bake/fry in-store?  A significant downturn in Dunkin's steady decline was when the donuts stopped being made in the vast majority of the stores.

corco

Yes, they do.

I still don't think they're very good though.

Rothman

I am quite happy that the Krispy Kreme craze died down.  The only thing going for them is that they were served warm enough that the glaze melted on them.

I'll take Duck Donuts anytime. :D

exit322

I was completely unimpressed with duck donuts.  They just didn't do anything for me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 09:51:09 PM
A significant downturn in Dunkin's steady decline was when the donuts stopped being made in the vast majority of the stores.

Dunkin is growing and expanding fairly rapidly, taking on the Western US.  There's no 'steady decline' whatsoever of Dunkin Donuts.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2015, 06:18:04 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 09:51:09 PM
A significant downturn in Dunkin's steady decline was when the donuts stopped being made in the vast majority of the stores.

Dunkin is growing and expanding fairly rapidly, taking on the Western US.  There's no 'steady decline' whatsoever of Dunkin Donuts.

In quality, there most definitely is.  Mass-market success via achieving a lowest common denominator is not a great indicator of actual improvement unless you're an accountsnt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.