News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Famous rest/road stops

Started by TravelingBethelite, August 06, 2015, 12:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Around here we have an infamous (former) rest area on the Garden State Parkway near Forked River, where Robert Marshall had his wife killed in the mid 80s:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8059183,-74.228667,16z/data=!3m1!1e3?force=lite

Story here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_O._Marshall

Until the widening project in this area a couple of years ago, the rest area was more obvious with left accel/decel lanes (although if I recall correctly at least in more recent years, the left yellow was continuous across to discourage the use of the ramps) .  Now it looks like any other median cross-over.

cl94

I'm surprised we got this far without mentioning South Of The Border along I-95 in South Carolina immediately south of the border with NC
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2015, 07:41:00 PM
I'm surprised we got this far without mentioning South Of The Border along I-95 in South Carolina immediately south of the border with NC

You mean other than the original post? As an added bonus, the original post capitalized it properly ("of the" should not be capitalized). Multiple other posters also mentioned it and got the capitalization right, too.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 09, 2015, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2015, 07:41:00 PM

You mean other than the original post? As an added bonus, the original post capitalized it properly ("of the" should not be capitalized). Multiple other posters also mentioned it and got the capitalization right, too.

:banghead:  :pan: :banghead:  :pan: :banghead:  :pan:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Quote from: Zeffy on August 06, 2015, 06:16:22 AM
I don't know which of them is the most well known, but the rest stops/service areas on the New Jersey Turnpike have to be pretty famous seeing as the road is an American icon.

The Chesapeake House and the Maryland House in Maryland both were packed when I went down there, so I'm not sure if they are famous or not. Their facilities are some of the most ultra-modern I've seen from a rest area though.
I still like the original versions of the Maryland and Chesapeake Houses, and I like the Maryland House better than the Chesapeake House. Even before they replaced the two-story colonial revival version with the new one, it was packed, and apparently quite popular. My mother and I loved it. My father, not so much. I'm not sure how my siblings feel about it, or even if they give it any thought.

As far as the New Jersey Turnpike is concerned, I haven't got any idea which ones are more famous than others. The only one I know of that could possibly get any resemblance of fame is the Vince Lombardi Service Area, which converted into a weird Dead Milkmen instrumental:

http://www.allmusic.com/song/vince-lombardi-service-center-mt0030182214

thenetwork

I can't for the life of me remember where exactly it was located, but it was in South Carolina between Columbia and Myrtle Beach:

Jimmy Carter's -- NO Relation to THE Jimmy Carter nor do I know if this J.C was up and running before Georgia's J.C. ran for president..   It was a truck stop / restaurant / gift shop / fireworks dealer that happened to be in the middle of a large median on some US highway in SC near Marion.  They had tons of billboards leading up to the place and was quite large.

It was here when a bunch of us from Ohio left one car and it's occupants to find their way back to Ohio after they wanted to eat there about a half hour after we stopped there (and everyone else grabbed some snacks and gas for the road).   They pulled this crap all through our Myrtle Beach trip.  So we said screw them and the other 3 carloads took off.  Needless to say, we kind of weren't on speaking terms anymore...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 12, 2015, 08:35:51 PM
I still like the original versions of the Maryland and Chesapeake Houses, and I like the Maryland House better than the Chesapeake House. Even before they replaced the two-story colonial revival version with the new one, it was packed, and apparently quite popular. My mother and I loved it. My father, not so much. I'm not sure how my siblings feel about it, or even if they give it any thought.

Within the industry, Maryland House, by virtue of its location as the southernmost service plaza on I-95, was considered the busiest and most-profitable one in the United States.

Not sure that is still true (after it was closed for reconstruction and re-opened under new a new (AreasUSA) concession holder), but its geographic advantages have not changed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

spooky

A lot of people stop at the Charlton and Sturbridge service areas on the Mass Pike, but I don't think that makes them famous, it just makes them busy.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on August 13, 2015, 04:22:51 PM
A lot of people stop at the Charlton and Sturbridge service areas on the Mass Pike, but I don't think that makes them famous, it just makes them busy.
Minor correction - both the eastbound and westbound plazas east of I-84 are named the Charlton Plaza.  During heavy traffic times, the roadway in the vicinity of the eastbound plaza is routinely the scene of backups (and often crashes).  I suspect the roadway geometry at the plaza (crest of a hill) has much to do with that.

During my trips along the Pike, I used to stop at the westbound Charlton Plaza if I was traveling early enough to beat the breakfast deadline at McD's.  However, I stopped going there after the third time in a row they gave me two Egg McMuffins when I ordered (and paid for) two sausage biscuits.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SP Cook

Three weeks in and nobody has mentioned the WV Turnpike's money pit, Scamarack. 

Not surprised.  More evidence that a padlock and a set of orange cones remain the solution.

GCrites

If it was the only travel plaza there I suppose it would get more action. I still miss the Glass House, though I only remember it as a HoJo.

The Nature Boy

This is at the side of the Maine Turnpike. Quite the "rest" area, no?

Okay seriously......

Would the Angola rest stop on the New York Thruway qualify? The pedestrian bridge is pretty cool.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on August 21, 2015, 06:52:08 PM
Minor correction - both the eastbound and westbound plazas east of I-84 are named the Charlton Plaza.  During heavy traffic times, the roadway in the vicinity of the eastbound plaza is routinely the scene of backups (and often crashes).  I suspect the roadway geometry at the plaza (crest of a hill) has much to do with that.

During my trips along the Pike, I used to stop at the westbound Charlton Plaza if I was traveling early enough to beat the breakfast deadline at McD's.  However, I stopped going there after the third time in a row they gave me two Egg McMuffins when I ordered (and paid for) two sausage biscuits.

Did it used to be named the Sturbridge Plaza? I'm thinking 25 or more years ago.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on August 24, 2015, 08:48:39 AM
Quote from: roadman on August 21, 2015, 06:52:08 PM

Did it used to be named the Sturbridge Plaza? I'm thinking 25 or more years ago.
I have a Mass Turnpike map from the mid-1980s that references both the eastbound and westbound service plazas as Charlton.  The updated 1992 Mass Turnpike map goes one step further and distinguishes between Charlton East and Charlton West.

Unlike the NJ Turnpike, the Mass Pike plaza names were not provided on highway signs until the 1996 sign update projects.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KG909

My city has the one of last Route 66 Orange Stands
~Fuccboi

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.