Why is "center" in Canada spelled "centre?"

Started by roadman65, August 26, 2015, 12:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I always liked environment which is pronounced en-vior- ment or government which the middle n is silent, although in broadcasting school we are taught to say the n in the word even though common usage never does.

Yes you are right to me centre is centtray in my mind too and if you look here spell check even says its wrong as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 01:19:04 PM
...and if you look here spell check even says its wrong as well.

Well of course it does. Your computer is probably set to American English. "Centre" is not the correct spelling.

1995hoo

The one that annoys me is when media outlets change the spelling of proper nouns. The Washington Post, for example, constantly refers to the British "Labor Party." There's no such thing–"Labour" is a proper noun. It's incorrect to change the weird spelling of someone's name–for example, NBA player Mr. Wade spells his name "Dwyane" (yes, the "y" goes before the "a") but the media never change it to the more conventional "Duane." Nor should they. The same applies to things like "Labour Party" or, to use an example from the UK media, New York's "World Trade Centre" is incorrect.

(The odd thing is, the American media generally do not change the spellings of US locations that use the British spelling. The old Capital Centre sports arena in Maryland was always spelled as I just typed it, as well it should have been, but if you change "Labour" to "Labor," shouldn't you change "Capital Centre" to "Capital Center" too?)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

RevZimmerman

Besides the frequent use of "British spellings" for words in Canadian English, the use of "centre" also makes it easier for using on signs that must be in French and English.

The BBC recently had an interesting article about Canadian English:  http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150820-why-is-canadian-english-unique

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 27, 2015, 01:49:06 PM
The one that annoys me is when media outlets change the spelling of proper nouns. The Washington Post, for example, constantly refers to the British "Labor Party." There's no such thing–"Labour" is a proper noun. It's incorrect to change the weird spelling of someone's name–for example, NBA player Mr. Wade spells his name "Dwyane" (yes, the "y" goes before the "a") but the media never change it to the more conventional "Duane." Nor should they. The same applies to things like "Labour Party" or, to use an example from the UK media, New York's "World Trade Centre" is incorrect.

(The odd thing is, the American media generally do not change the spellings of US locations that use the British spelling. The old Capital Centre sports arena in Maryland was always spelled as I just typed it, as well it should have been, but if you change "Labour" to "Labor," shouldn't you change "Capital Centre" to "Capital Center" too?)

Even worse: Gray's Anatomy, when actually talking about Grey's Anatomy.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

lordsutch

Quote from: kkt on August 27, 2015, 02:39:45 AM
I suspect theatre is "re" because it was already a fixed spelling in the theatre community before Noah Webster simplified spellings in his dictionary.

It probably has more to do with pretentiousness and/or Anglophelia than anything else. (See also: the occasional use of "centre" in proper names in the U.S.)

Anyone who really wants to delve into these things should read Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue."

english si

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 01:19:04 PMif you look here spell check even says its wrong as well.
OMG spell check says it is wrong, therefore conclusive proof that Canadians can't spell!!!!1!!!

I get a wavy red line under 'center',* while 'centre' is fine. Different English is different.

*which just looks like you never learnt to spell or speak (I'd read it cent-er, with the stress on the second syllable like you were talking about pennies and then forgot what you were saying and went 'err'), nor make the clear links with central, centri-, etc. Where there is a pronounced 'r'. And the US way puts the silent vestigial French letter at the end, rather than hiding it in the middle (OK, there's some silent letters at the beginning of words, but mostly the silent ones are elsewhere - but never at the end), which just screams 'pronounce this'.

roadman65

First of all I am not attacking Canadian spelling.  I am just saying that on the forum board it is showing that wavy line here.  Not that I agree with it, in fact I think it should be told to those who program the speller to allow it considering that one whole nation spells things differently than the USA.  That should count!

I do not make the rules here in the English Language that we Americans speak.  To me I am used to center as center so when I see it spelled differently seems like something different.  Just like we are used to driving on the right side of the road, but if we went to England or the US Virgin Islands it would seem weird.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 02:18:16 PM
First of all I am not attacking Canadian spelling.  I am just saying that on the forum board it is showing that wavy line here.  Not that I agree with it, in fact I think it should be told to those who program the speller to allow it considering that one whole nation spells things differently than the USA.  That should count!

Your computer is doing the spell check based on its set language, not the forum. People in Canada, or the UK, or Australia, or New Zealand do not see a red, wavy line under "centre", but those in the US with computers set to en-US do.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on August 27, 2015, 01:53:37 PM

Even worse: Gray's Anatomy, when actually talking about Grey's Anatomy.

The title was a play on the book's name and not the actual title of the book.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AsphaltPlanet

centre 
Quote from: lordsutch on August 27, 2015, 01:54:39 PM
Anyone who really wants to delve into these things should read Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue."

... or read anything else by Bill Bryson for that matter ...
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Quote from: english si on August 27, 2015, 02:01:30 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 01:19:04 PMif you look here spell check even says its wrong as well.
OMG spell check says it is wrong, therefore conclusive proof that Canadians can't spell!!!!1!!!

I get a wavy red line under 'center',* while 'centre' is fine. Different English is different.

*which just looks like you never learnt to spell or speak (I'd read it cent-er, with the stress on the second syllable like you were talking about pennies and then forgot what you were saying and went 'err'), nor make the clear links with central, centri-, etc. Where there is a pronounced 'r'. And the US way puts the silent vestigial French letter at the end, rather than hiding it in the middle (OK, there's some silent letters at the beginning of words, but mostly the silent ones are elsewhere - but never at the end), which just screams 'pronounce this'.
We really do pronounce it cent-er on this side of the pond.  I have trouble even conceiving of how the word could be pronounced without the r.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Consider also that there are Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia and Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland  (both pronounced centerville). 

The one in Virginia has a significantly larger population, but the one in Maryland is an incorporated municipality and county seat.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on August 27, 2015, 06:48:02 PM

We really do pronounce it cent-er on this side of the pond.  I have trouble even conceiving of how the word could be pronounced without the r.

I'll echo this. Regardless of the spelling, I pronounce it the same way. Do Brits regard the "e" as a silent "e" in this context? In the American style I'd just view "-er" as the standard way of spelling the "r" sound. You can't write "centr," for example. "Center" is no different from "lumber" or "timber" in my view.

This thread prompts me to remember a law professor I had who was adamant that it was wrong to write "judgement." Thing is, Duke Law has a lot of international students who come from countries where "judgment" is incorrect. If I were the instructor I wouldn't mark a British spelling wrong if the person is consistent in using them (for example, also writing "colour," "tyre," "kerb," "aluminium," etc.).

(I do know one American who prefers British spellings and expressions–the latter like referring to a baseball "fixture," for instance–but for some inexplicable reason insists on referring to pro sports' player selection procedure as a "draught." Totally incorrect, of course, and it makes his schtick look rather absurd whenever he does it.)

briantroutman

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 27, 2015, 08:17:17 PM
(I do know one American who prefers British spellings and expressions–the latter like referring to a baseball "fixture," for instance–but for some inexplicable reason insists on referring to pro sports' player selection procedure as a "draught." Totally incorrect, of course, and it makes his schtick look rather absurd whenever he does it.)

Sort of an in-language version of hyperforeignism. Like a latté.

SignGeek101

This thread prompts me to remember a law professor I had who was adamant that it was wrong to write "judgement." Thing is, Duke Law has a lot of international students who come from countries where "judgment" is incorrect. If I were the instructor I wouldn't mark a British spelling wrong if the person is consistent in using them (for example, also writing "colour," "tyre," "kerb," "aluminium," etc.).

There's a whole thing on the 'judgement' versus 'judgment' thing online.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/judgment-judgement/

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on August 27, 2015, 08:21:37 PM

Sort of an in-language version of hyperforeignism. Like a latté.

Sort of, but the thing is, the Brits use "draft" if they use said word to refer to conscription, same U.S. Americans do. "Draught" is correct as to beer, but to refer to the "NFL Draught" is absurd!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 01:19:04 PM
I always liked environment which is pronounced en-vior- ment or government which the middle n is silent, although in broadcasting school we are taught to say the n in the word even though common usage never does.

Yes you are right to me centre is centtray in my mind too and if you look here spell check even says its wrong as well.

A lot of people, myself included, say the "n" in "environment" and "government" despite the common tendency to slur over it (which I often do, too, particularly when speaking more quickly).  I guess it sounds right this way to me because saying environs as "enviors" would be all wrong.

I read "centre" as a one-syllable word, like the French pronunciation but with the English vowel sound.

Road Hog

I know some British sports terminology is being absorbed here through osmosis because of the World Cup and soccer broadcasts. But the example you cite is a case of "trying too hard."

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Road Hog on August 28, 2015, 12:00:11 AM
I know some British sports terminology is being absorbed here through osmosis because of the World Cup and soccer broadcasts. But the example you cite is a case of "trying too hard."

I have ranted too long in other threads about US soccer fans parroting their British counterparts' terms when we have useful ones here already, but I agree.

I did find it charming, though, when an American woman near me at a bar once asked for a "draw" of beer ("draw," of course, being the uncommon verb of which our common "draught" is the past participle).

Brandon

It's pronounced cen-TER, two syllables split between the n and the t.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TXtoNJ

We don't say "er" in rhotic AE accents - we say "uh".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 28, 2015, 08:11:24 AM

We don't say "er" in rhotic AE accents - we say "uh".

Non-rhotic, you mean.

SP Cook

Two observations:

- The tiny minority of non recent immigrant Americans who like soccer adopt British and other Euro linguistic forms do so for one reason.  They hate American sports.  The use of "fixture" and "nil" and "in to touch" and the idiot naming of teams "Real"  REE-ol , meaning "under the patronage of the King of Spain (Real Madrid) or "United", meaning in that context "a team that both Anglicans and Catholics can support" or "Dynamo", which is from the Soviet practice of claiming teams represented different occupations, Dynamo meaning "power plant workers", have no application in Salt Lake City, Washington, or Houston. It is their way of being oh, so, above us common folk.

- Despite Anglo Canada's obvious closer relationship with French speakers, and despite the fact that French is the default foreign language in British schools, both tend to pronounce many French words in a flat manner.  Both say "FILL-it" not "fil-LAY" for example.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SP Cook on August 28, 2015, 10:26:57 AM
Two observations:

- The tiny minority of non recent immigrant Americans who like soccer adopt British and other Euro linguistic forms do so for one reason.  They hate American sports.  The use of "fixture" and "nil" and "in to touch" and the idiot naming of teams "Real"  REE-ol , meaning "under the patronage of the King of Spain (Real Madrid) or "United", meaning in that context "a team that both Anglicans and Catholics can support" or "Dynamo", which is from the Soviet practice of claiming teams represented different occupations, Dynamo meaning "power plant workers", have no application in Salt Lake City, Washington, or Houston. It is their way of being oh, so, above us common folk.

What, too timid to finish the thought and tell us they hate America in general?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.