News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Time to say goodbye to the smoke

Started by Billy F 1988, August 30, 2015, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

And what great timing it is for the firefighters in the Pacific Northwest having to deal with the fires. Even though we're still in a dry period, this rain shower couldn't have come at a better time than today at around 1:30 MT this afternoon when waves of rainshowers cut through the dense and arid smoke. For the first time in several weeks, I can see off to the distance Stark Mountain, over an hour west of Missoula, and Squall Peak and the famous "F". If you were in my neck of the woods this last week and a half to two, you wouldn't have seen Mount Jumbo or Mount Sentinel until you were within at least 500 feet of passing through it. It was that bad. Thankfully the firefighters today have these rainshowers and if we get more of them this week, they'll end up with a winning hand to finish off the worst wildfire season that I can remember since the fires of 2000. Give some props to our boys and girls on the front lines of battle willing to sacrifice everything to save lives and protect property. This is one they will never forget.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Bruce

The smoke drifted westward a few days back and produced some spectacular sunsets and sunrises, while also spiking air quality ratings to obscene levels and blocking our view of the Cascade Mountains.

Here's a satellite photo:

And some pictures I took:

Morning sun behind wildfire smoke by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Seattle skyline obscured by wildfire smoke, viewed from NE 45th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Port of Seattle Terminal 46 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

IMG_6757 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Smokey sunset in Everett by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Cranes and smoke by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.