News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Using GoFundMe to recoup stolen money

Started by bandit957, September 19, 2015, 09:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Would anyone recommend using GoFundMe to recoup money that someone deceived me out of and won't pay back? I am 99% certain I fell victim to someone who claimed to have cancer but who I believe is actually a heroin addict. I lost practically my entire life savings in this apparent cancer scam.

A family member strongly recommends filing a small claims lawsuit, but the limit for small claims actions in Kentucky is very low and wouldn't be enough to cover it. Besides that, I expect to lose the suit. The paperwork I have is a smoking gun that proves my case, and even includes some bounced checks, but I still expect to lose, because the county is corrupt.

But it's like I keep telling my family: The money's got to come from somewhere. I already worked for it, so I'm not working extra hours to recoup money I already worked for.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bandit957 on September 19, 2015, 09:48:31 AMBut it's like I keep telling my family: The money's got to come from somewhere. I already worked for it, so I'm not working extra hours to recoup money I already worked for.

Sounds like a really unfortunate situation.  Heroin wrecks whole circles of lives.  I've helped piss money away trying to help out lying addicts, too.*  No more.

But this last line is off-putting–no regard for the people who already worked hours for the money you're asking for?  Disclaiming responsibility for yourself while asking others who are certainly not responsible to take part of the responsibility is maybe not the best strategy for garnering sympathy.  Their money has to come from somewhere, too. 

* I'm not cursing out addicts saying this.  It's a safe generalization that addiction and deceit are usually found together.  It's why trusting the addict is not often the help the addict needs, and is one of the reasons the damage of addiction winds its way deep into so many lives beyond those of the addicted. 

bandit957

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 19, 2015, 10:12:56 AM
But this last line is off-putting–no regard for the people who already worked hours for the money you're asking for?  Disclaiming responsibility for yourself while asking others who are certainly not responsible to take part of the responsibility is maybe not the best strategy for garnering sympathy.

That's because I'm mad. People act like it's somehow my fault I was scammed. This scam was 0% my fault. A crime was committed.

bandit957

I just think I've earned the right to sound like a jerk.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bandit957 on September 19, 2015, 10:40:14 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 19, 2015, 10:12:56 AM
But this last line is off-putting–no regard for the people who already worked hours for the money you're asking for?  Disclaiming responsibility for yourself while asking others who are certainly not responsible to take part of the responsibility is maybe not the best strategy for garnering sympathy.

That's because I'm mad. People act like it's somehow my fault I was scammed. This scam was 0% my fault. A crime was committed.

It is 0% their fault, too.

Quote from: bandit957 on September 19, 2015, 10:45:25 AM
I just think I've earned the right to sound like a jerk.

Keep paying it forward, then.

hbelkins

Get a lawyer and file in district civil court, not small claims court.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.