News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chili's vs Applebee's

Started by I-39, September 28, 2015, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Lunch: Applebees. Dinner: Chili's. Then again, I don't have much choice. The only Chili's in Seattle is inside the airport.

Last Chili's I visited was in Mt Pleasant, Texas. I had a steak, and it was fantastic.

Pete from Boston

Both chains seem to have been closing locations around here.  I don't think they can compete.

US71

Quote from: Big John on September 30, 2015, 01:34:26 PM
Do I really have to choose one of those when there are far better options available?
Outback? ;)

Doe's is very good, but very $$
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NJRoadfan

Neither as both are fairly generic fare. Heck, they keep removing unique items from their menus! Remember when Applebee's had that onion tips appetizer? Chili's can't even be bothered to give you chips and salsa anymore. There is a regional chain (locally owned) around here called Charlie Brown's that is generally better, plus they have an unlimited salad bar with a large selection of toppings. The frequent diner program is much better too.

As a whole, the "casual" dining chains haven't been doing too well. Prices are up and quality is down (particularly noticeable at TGI Friday's, and I haven't been to Ruby Tuesday's in close to a decade after consistently lousy meals). Competition from "fast casual" places like Chipotle and various burger joints (Five Guys, Smashburger, etc) is having an effect.

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on September 30, 2015, 09:07:05 PM
Do I really have to choose one of those when there are far better options available?
Outback? ;)

Count me unimpressed with Outback. I've eaten there twice. Can't remember where I was the first time, but I thought it was way overpriced and not up to the hype. The second time was in Middletown, NY, where there was an Outback right next to my motel and I didn't want to go exploring trying to find something I liked better. I was equally unthrilled and I don't really see what's so great about it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Applebee's has really generic food. I think I last ate at one three years ago, because I'd exhausted that town's food choices at 8:30pm. Their fries taste like they're slathered in Crisco.

Chili's is a bit better, but more of a "whole family can find something" option. Service varies from great to terrible, I've noticed over the past 25 years. Management comes through in spades when they goof up, unlike Applebee's.

On the road, I'll usually steer clear of both of them.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 03:23:53 PM
Outback? ;)

Count me unimpressed with Outback. I've eaten there twice. Can't remember where I was the first time, but I thought it was way overpriced and not up to the hype. The second time was in Middletown, NY, where there was an Outback right next to my motel and I didn't want to go exploring trying to find something I liked better. I was equally unthrilled and I don't really see what's so great about it.

I agree with HB on this one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2015, 05:05:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 03:23:53 PM
Outback? ;)

I agree with HB on this one.

Plus Outback (surprise, surprise) is overpriced, and if you're paying for atmosphere and ambience, I don't get that either.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 30, 2015, 09:39:13 PM
There is a regional chain (locally owned) around here called Charlie Brown's that is generally better, plus they have an unlimited salad bar with a large selection of toppings. The frequent diner program is much better too.

The one in Hillsborough closed down quite some time ago. It has since been replaced by a Chase bank...

As for the topic, I don't like either. My personal preference is Ruby Tuesdays, Five Guys and then TGI Fridays.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

US71

I prefer Chili's to Applebees, but not by a lot. Chili's will fess up if you call them on a mistake, Applebees's will try to dodge.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeek Adam

Applebee's quality has gone down the last 10 or so years. I prefer Chili's by far in the genre of what I call "Americana Restaurants" (Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday). Chili's quality has stayed to worth the money. I once got a Philly Cheesesteak from Applebee's: It looked more like airportsteak.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 18, 2015, 01:45:51 PM
...I once got a Philly Cheesesteak from anyplace other than the Philly area.  It sucked.

Fixed for you.

And no one in the Philly area calls them a Philly Cheesesteak.  It's a cheesesteak.  So guaranteed next time you see "Philly Cheesesteak", it's probably gonna suck.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 18, 2015, 01:57:56 PM
...I once got a Philly Cheesesteak from anyplace other than the Philly area.  It sucked.

Fixed for you.

And no one in the Philly area calls them a Philly Cheesesteak.  It's a cheesesteak.  So guaranteed next time you see "Philly Cheesesteak", it's probably gonna suck.

I've had excellent steaks elsewhere. But man this Applebee's one was the worst I've ever had.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 18, 2015, 02:03:11 PM

Fixed for you.

I've had excellent steaks elsewhere. But man this Applebee's one was the worst I've ever had.

The most interesting ones are when they slab a piece of meat on a roll, or something to that effect. 

If I'm at an all-inclusive or someplace where I'm not paying for it and can easily get something else, sometimes I'll get one just to see what they actually call a Philly Cheesesteak.

TheHighwayMan3561

I love Chili's, but the last time I went to Applebee's which was the first time I'd been there in a couple years I was impressed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pete from Boston

Chili's has gotten my money at a couple of airports.  Their Tex-Mex offerings are not especially worse than similar places.  Their margaritas are pretty bad. 

jakeroot

Fixed for you.

There's a sandwich shop near me (MSM in Tacoma) that makes a killer cheesesteak. I don't think I need to visit Philadelphia to get a decent cheesesteak.

US 41

I've only been to Applebee's. Never been to Chili's. The only thing I'm going to get when I go to either one is a medium cooked top sirloin steak and french fries. As long as my steak tastes good I'm fine with both.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on December 18, 2015, 08:03:17 PM

Fixed for you.

There's a sandwich shop near me (MSM in Tacoma) that makes a killer cheesesteak. I don't think I need to visit Philadelphia to get a decent cheesesteak.

I was intrigued, so i looked it up: 6 inch French roll, toasted, with sirloin steak, mayo, tomatoes, onion & green peppers. That ain't a Philly Cheesesteak. That's some f'ed up hoagie.

Mayo...seriously?  Philly should sue for having their city associated with that on a "Philly Steak".

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 19, 2015, 12:43:54 AM

Fixed for you.

I was intrigued, so i looked it up: 6 inch French roll, toasted, with sirloin steak, mayo, tomatoes, onion & green peppers. That ain't a Philly Cheesesteak. That's some f'ed up hoagie.

Mayo...seriously?  Philly should sue for having their city associated with that on a "Philly Steak".

Local variation is to be expected anywhere in the US. But, I can tell you this much: I ain't gonna visit Philly just to get a god-damn sandwich. There are a billion sandwich shops in the US. You don't need to go to Philly just to get the "real" version.

I've heard that the Philly area has a variation of the cheesesteak called the "Cheese Steak Hoagie". Are you familiar with this? It includes mayo.

noelbotevera

The real Philly Cheesesteak is in Reading Market down in Philadelphia, PA. Just a mere 2-3 hours from me.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Pete from Boston

Where is the Pat's vs. Geno's thread?

Alex4897

...but cheese steaks are so good with mayo
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on December 19, 2015, 01:13:30 AM

Fixed for you.

Local variation is to be expected anywhere in the US. But, I can tell you this much: I ain't gonna visit Philly just to get a god-damn sandwich. There are a billion sandwich shops in the US. You don't need to go to Philly just to get the "real" version.

I've heard that the Philly area has a variation of the cheesesteak called the "Cheese Steak Hoagie". Are you familiar with this? It includes mayo.

There's definitely variations of foods throughout the country.  But a Philly Cheesesteak is pretty specific  It's like trying to call a thick-crust pizza 'New York Style Pizza'.

In fact, what you are describing is much more along the lines there is what we would consider a cheesesteak hoagie.

You don't have to go across the country to get an authentic cheesesteak.  But don't be fooled into thinking what you're eating would be considered a Philly Cheesesteak in Philly.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 19, 2015, 08:25:03 AM
The real Philly Cheesesteak is in Reading Market down in Philadelphia, PA. Just a mere 2-3 hours from me.

We have a really good cheesesteak place not too far from me here in Jersey.  Anytime a cheesesteak story comes up in the Philly paper, there's quite a range of places where people consider it the best.  For many, it starts with the roll.  There's a few large-scale bakeries in the area, and for many people the cheesesteak is only as good as the roll it's on...as long as it comes from their favorite bakery. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.