News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

In N Out vs. Five Guys

Started by OCGuy81, September 30, 2015, 11:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Tough call: sometimes I'm in the mood for fries smothered in cheese and grilled onions, and sometimes, I'm not. Five Guys' burger is a bit more greasy, though I've noticed the amount of grease seems to vary from location to location. I'll give the nod to Five Guys, but just by a nose.

MikeTheActuary

I agree with the sentiment that In N Out and Five Guys are different classes of restaurant.

In N Out is a "quick serve" class place, comparable to Mickey D's, BK, Wendy's, etc.

Five Guys is a "fast casual" class place, comparable to, say, Smashburger or Shake Shack.

I've only had one opportunity to go to In N Out.  It wasn't bad, but after listening to fans rave about the chain, I found the actual experience to be a little bit of a let down, in part because I was expecting something at the Five Guys level.

Dr Frankenstein

I've never been to In N' Out but I wish we had them here. I'm sure they kick McDonald's arse.

I've been to the Downtown Montreal location of Five Guys a couple of times and I love it.

1995hoo

I find Five Guys' fries to be at their best when they aren't right out of the fryer and have had the chance to sit for a little while. They're not so greasy then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2015, 09:57:25 AM
I find Five Guys' fries to be at their best when they aren't right out of the fryer and have had the chance to sit for a little while. They're not so greasy then.

Make sure to take a peek at the white bag that the fries come in - that's where the grease went. FYI the Five Guys on Backlick is one of the original ones.

OCGuy81

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 01, 2015, 10:04:04 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2015, 09:57:25 AM

Make sure to take a peek at the white bag that the fries come in - that's where the grease went. FYI the Five Guys on Backlick is one of the original ones.

One of the things I like about In N Out too is that if you ask  for the fries to be a bit crispier, they'll do it.  Five Guys I think has better fries overall, but there have been times they're a bit soggy after just being pulled from the fryer.

Still maintain In N Out is slightly better, IMO.  Though I DO wish they offered bacon. 

Thing 342

I've only been to In-N-Out once, but I think they're better than 5 Guys. 5 Guys burgers seem overpriced for what they are, and their fries are way too greasy for me. If I'm going to spend $50+ on a meal for four, I'll go to a local joint with more filling food.

Pink Jazz

I agree this is an apple vs. orange comparison.  In N Out is fast food, Five Guys is fast casual.  A more fair comparison to Five Guys would be Smashburger.

doorknob60

I would say Five Guys is better. BUT, you pay almost twice as much. At In-N-Out, you'll pay the same cost as you'd pay at other fast food like McDonald's, Wendy's or BK. Five Guys is like "fast food plus", a step between regular chains like McD's, and places like Red Robin. In-N-Out beats all the big burger fast food chains IMO. Five Guys is good if you want something a bit nicer and are willing to pay a bit more. It's just a shame there's no In-N-Out here. It's inching closer into Oregon, now in Medford, but it's not close enough to where I can eat there except on road trips.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on September 30, 2015, 08:37:47 PM
Since I do not eat burgers, this is very significant for me personally. It means that neither is terribly attractive to me since if I order food from one all I will get is fries.

Don't eat burgers? What kind of commie pinko anti-American are you?  :bigass:

Seriously, Five Guys has quite a bit more than burgers. They have pretty good hot dogs, they make grilled cheeses, you can get veggie burgers (not sure if those are soy-based patties or just sandwiches with all their vegetable burger toppings) and I'm pretty sure they make a BLT as well.

As for those who are complaining about Five Guys' fries being greasy, it does tend to vary from location to location. They are more like home-fried potatoes than your typical fast-food french fries. But I'm told you can order your fries "well-done" and they'll keep them in the fryer longer, making them more crisp and less greasy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Five Guys' shakes aren't half bad, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

I have been to both (Five Guys more frequently than In-N-Out), and I prefer In-N-Out over Five Guys.

Five Guys is not a bad burger joint either.

Both get my respect for being somewhat unique, but as was pointed out upthread, they are different types of eating establishments.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Five Guys. Never been anywhere close to an In N Out and probably won't be unless I get a chance to get to California or they move out east.

Because someone brought it up, Smashburger is nowhere close to Five Guys. No contest. None.

I will take Shake Shack over Five Guys if I'm near one. More expensive, but tastier. Wait is often shorter as well, even if the line is longer.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 01, 2015, 09:50:53 AM
I've never been to In N' Out but I wish we had them here. I'm sure they kick McDonald's arse.

In-N-Out is better than most McDonald's, and consistently good.  McDonald's suffers greatly from inconsistency between its stores (at least in the Washington, D.C./Maryland/Virginia area, the phrase "that is a bad McDonald's" is pretty common).

Five Guys is also consistently good.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2015, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 01, 2015, 09:50:53 AM

In-N-Out is better than most McDonald's, and consistently good.  McDonald's suffers greatly from inconsistency between its stores (at least in the Washington, D.C./Maryland/Virginia area, the phrase "that is a bad McDonald's" is pretty common).

This. Locations in very high-traffic locations (i.e. Manhattan) tend to be excellent, but a lot of the franchise locations in suburban areas are crap, especially if the place is moderately busy. A couple of franchisees out here make you beg for ketchup and napkins. The average corporate location is better than most franchise locations, at least from what I've seen.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
They have pretty good hot dogs, they make grilled cheeses, you can get veggie burgers (not sure if those are soy-based patties or just sandwiches with all their vegetable burger toppings) and I'm pretty sure they make a BLT as well.

My mom got a veggie burger from them recently. It's just a sandwhich with all of their vegetable toppings. No meat on it what-so-ever.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.