News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

'Obsolete' songs?

Started by mgk920, July 07, 2016, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OracleUsr

Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl..."..with a transistor radio"
Kathy Mattea's "455 Rocket" "what kind of piece of sshhhChevelle is this?"
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

TheHighwayMan3561

The song actually is only in chronological order until 1963 ("JFK Blown Away, What More Do I Have to Say?"). The 1964-1989 events are out of order after that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 07, 2016, 10:34:19 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 07, 2016, 10:27:03 PM
The reference in the same song to "the little faggot with the earring and the makeup" would probably confuse some younger listeners who would never have found it odd for a male to wear an earring nor associated such with being homosexual.

There were, in my mind, two possibilities as to whom Mark Knopfler was referring in that song. One was Boy George, but I can't remember who the other one was.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lepidopteran

"Rikki Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan
"Don't Lose My Number" by Phil Collins

Nowadays, you just enter someone's number in your smartphone and that's that.  More likely, you'll ask for their e-mail anyway.

gilpdawg

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2016, 02:27:08 PM
The reference in the same song to "the little faggot with the earring and the makeup" would probably confuse some younger listeners who would never have found it odd for a male to wear an earring nor associated such with being homosexual.

There were, in my mind, two possibilities as to whom Mark Knopfler was referring in that song. One was Boy George, but I can't remember who the other one was.
I read once he was talking about the hair bands.

iPad

triplemultiplex

J. Geil's "Centerfold".

Who buys pictures of naked ladies printed out on dead trees anymore?

The idea behind the song would still work with a contemporary story about discovering "Angel" online.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bing101

SHOUT by Tears for fears, Promises Promises by Naked Eyes, Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for fears these songs managed to last over 30 years and still true today.

PHLBOS

1958's Beep-Beep by the Playmates talks about a little Nash Rambler chasing a Cadillac.
Beep Beep

Speaking of Cadillacs: in Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time, the newest Cadillac part referenced is a '73 model.  The song's from 1976.
One Piece at a Time

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55 yet.
I Can't Drive 55
GPS does NOT equal GOD

english si

Quote from: 1 on July 07, 2016, 11:16:38 AMParty like it's 1999? 1999 was the future when the song was written. Now it's the past.
Didn't stop Easyjet using Disco 2000 in their 20th anniversary ads (admittedly the song was released not long after Easyjet started up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYyGhVllGfU

And also, Dec 31st 1999 was a big party - while it's the past, it's hard to top. If we'd had a bigger blow out/reason to blow out that was common to most of us, then sure, 1999 would be an obsolete reference, rather than one that goes over the heads of today's teenagers. It's more obscure than obsolete, though I'll grant it does sort of fit the OP's criteria.
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 08, 2016, 05:59:49 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 07, 2016, 06:06:01 PMYou're probably thinking of "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles
Thanks. And this one also goes on Misheard song lyrics, as I swear I heard 'media' instead of 'video'.
Not sure how it's obsolete - if anything, it's being written in '78 was ahead of its time - MTV aired it three years after that as its very first video and that channel is what ushered in the age where image was more important than musical talent - an age which is still with us (hence Beiber, 1D, Miley, etc) - and given their choice of first video, I'd imagine that was deliberate.

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 12, 2016, 11:17:49 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55 yet.
I Can't Drive 55

He actually did a remake of that and upped the number to 65.

freebrickproductions

Probably this song from the movie, "The Brave Little Toaster", is rather outdated now with some of the stuff it features:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

I don't think "I Can't Drive 55" is obsolete even with the NMSL gone. Come drive on the Beltway outside rush hour and you'll see nobody keeps it to 55 despite that being the speed limit on most of the road (the exception being the HO/T lanes, which are posted at 65).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2016, 03:49:23 PM
I don't think "I Can't Drive 55" is obsolete even with the NMSL gone. Come drive on the Beltway outside rush hour and you'll see nobody keeps it to 55 despite that being the speed limit on most of the road (the exception being the HO/T lanes, which are posted at 65).

So true, I remember driving on I-80 near Chicago and getting passed doing 70 in the 55 zone. Why do they even bother with these stupid speed limits when no one follows them?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 7/8 on July 12, 2016, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2016, 03:49:23 PM

So true, I remember driving on I-80 near Chicago and getting passed doing 70 in the 55 zone. Why do they even bother with these stupid speed limits when no one follows them?
Money.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

A song that occurred to me yesterday: "Darlington County" by Bruce Springsteen, which contains the lyric "our pas each own one of the World Trade Centers," an obvious reference to the Twin Towers. He still plays the song live.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

lepidopteran

"Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?"
and
"Do you know the way to San Jose?"

Now you just enter it in Mapquest, Google Maps, or your GPS unit.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 19, 2016, 06:36:32 PM
"Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?"
and
"Do you know the way to San Jose?"

Now you just enter it in Mapquest, Google Maps, or your GPS unit.

Depending on where you live in California getting San Jose is easier said than done....CA 152....ugh and ugh....seems to fit just fine into modern times to me.  :rolleyes:

BamaZeus

Get your kicks on Route 66

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: BamaZeus on July 20, 2016, 11:28:04 AM
Get your kicks on Route 66

Functionally yes....from a recreation stand point...no...  Lots of things to do and see still on what's left, signs or not it will always be US 66 for some of us.

7/8

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" by Chicago

QuoteAs I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
On my watch

QuoteAnd I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had
Stopped cold dead

Nowadays, you would just check your cellphone :)

hbelkins

Quote from: 7/8 on July 20, 2016, 01:41:27 PM

On my watch

Stopped cold dead

Nope, I still wear a wristwatch and feel naked without it.

7/8

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2016, 11:04:30 AM

On my watch

Stopped cold dead

I could've made this more clear. If your wristwatch happens to die, nowadays most people would check their cellphones for the time instead of asking someone else.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 7/8 on July 21, 2016, 12:20:11 PM

On my watch

Stopped cold dead

I could've made this more clear. If your wristwatch happens to die, nowadays most people would check their cellphones for the time instead of asking someone else.
I still ask someone else because I have no phone and rarely wear a wristwatch.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2016, 02:25:56 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 21, 2016, 12:20:11 PM

On my watch

Stopped cold dead

I still ask someone else because I have no phone and rarely wear a wristwatch.

Aren't fit bits usually equipped with a clock?  Seems to fit the mold in regards to something wrist watch like which a lot of people are wearing now.

hm insulators

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2016, 02:27:08 PM

I've read that Mark Knopfler was shopping with his wife in an appliance store in New York City and all the TVs in the store were tuned to MTV. One of the store employees was complaining long and loud about how hard he had to work to sell microwave ovens and refrigerators for little pay while all the people on MTV were cavorting around with scantily-clad ladies in the music videos, getting their "money for nothing and their chicks for free." Mark heard this employee fussing and was so inspired to write a song about the incident that he actually borrowed a pen and paper from another store employee and started writing the tune right there in the store.

There's an obsolete song--MTV scarcely plays videos any more, if I recollect correctly.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.