News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Memorable MTV Videos

Started by roadman65, July 07, 2016, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2016, 11:34:52 PM
Probably this since I remember when MTV came on the air:

The official unofficial MTV Theme ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hm insulators

Never cared for music videos.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadman65

One video that was memorable that was cut from being aired due to legal issues at the time was This Notes For You by Neil Young.  I heard and even saw clips of it and it seemed pretty neat. 

Now I cannot remember what the video was about, but it made the news at that particular time that it was indirectly advertising for a specific product and the lawyers of the complaining party were being so anal about it that it was forced to be dropped from being aired anywhere.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

Friday Night Videos was one of my favorites at the time. The original intent was because of cable penetration being quite low when that debuted. I want to say 1982? There was also Night Tracks on TBS. I also seem to remember a syndicated dance music show which was largely New York-themed. CBS of Hartford carried that at one time.

I absolutely loved American Top 10, hosted by Casey Kasem (da man!). Voice overs were done by the late Charlie Tuna ("...and America's Top 10 continues!"). Casey read my brother's trivia question on the air in 1988! He even pronounced our last name correctly, too! :D

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bandit957

I have a funny radio memory about the song "Dress You Up" by Madonna. There were 2 different versions. One started with sort of a "clank clank clank", the other started with sort of a rumbling sound. A local radio station WCLU initially played the rumbling version. One day, the song started up with the rumble, and the DJ said, "Ewwww Madonna, that was gross!" After that, this station switched over to the clanking version.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

spooky

The Neil Young video was not cut because of a product endorsement, it was cut because it absolutely skewered music celebrities that did product endorsements including Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. The lyrics said "ain't singin' for Pepsi, ain't singin' for Coke. I don't sing for nobody, makes me look like a joke."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSvzCNBvlQ

Wikipedia says that Michael Jackson's lawyers threatened MTV, which is why it was taken off the air. It was eventually played and actually won Video of the Year at that year's VMAs.

US71

The Buggles video was a remake of an earlier version
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.