News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

America hasn’t seen a solar eclipse like this since the end of World War I

Started by ZLoth, August 22, 2016, 03:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: jwolfer on September 03, 2016, 10:29:13 PM
What about the early 70s eclipse visible in Nova Scotia mentioned in "You're So Vain" and I always thought it was the same eclipse in the Steven King story "Dolores Claiborne".. I have vague memories of a big deal about a total eclipse  up in New England when I was real little. I was born in 1970 BTW
That was in Spring 1970, the day of my grandma's funeral.  Totality went across the Okefenokee Swamp area of FL/GA (causing birds to begin to roost as if it was evening), then went just off the coast, perhaps hitting some areas like the Outer Banks, before it finally crossed Nova Scotia.

Desert Man

I can't wait for this! (less than a year to go). I plan to fly to the Salem OR area from where I live (Palm Desert CA) to view the totality. My first chance to see a total solar eclipse in my life within the US, the next one closest to me is 2045. I remember the Jul 11, 1991 total solar eclipse on live TV from Hawaii, and Baja Cal or Mexico City, the eclipse was partial (70-75%) of the sun in southern CA.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hbelkins

There's a thread on the Road Meets board about this. The epicenter is about a six-hour or so drive from me, and plenty of "total" places that are closer. Maybe some of us should meet for lunch and then go somewhere to watch it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.