News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is the fastest you have ever driven?

Started by pumpkineater2, October 06, 2016, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpkineater2

Title says it all. Additionally, how fast can your car go?(If you ever attempted to see)

94 is the number for me. I did it in a 1997 Dodge ram 1500, which topped out at that speed.

I thought there was already a thread for this; I searched twice, found nothing.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

oscar

130mph in my former 1996 BMW 328i sedan. Oddly enough, earlier that trip I drove the then "Montanabahn" (reasonable and prudent limit in the day for cars), but only got to 126mph in that state.

Neither of my current vehicles will go anywhere near that fast. Al Gore's son reportedly was ticketed for 99mph in his Prius, but I never went over 90 in mine. My pickup truck will comfortably go higher than 90, but never pushed its limits.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

I've gotten up to 108 or so passing a series of trucks on US-20/26 between Riverton and Casper Wyoming in a 2001 Honda Accord. My current car (a 2015 VW Golf) tops out at 124, but I've never taken it past 95 or so.

1995hoo

Fastest I've ever driven is 120 mph in my old 1997 Honda Accord. My current primary car, a 2004 Acura TL, can do 152 mph, but I don't think I've ever taken it above about 110 mph and that was 11 years ago heading east across Alligator Alley back when it was more of a raceway than it is now. I hardly ever even touch 90 anymore.

Don't know how fast my other car, a 1988 RX-7 convertible, can go, but I'd never even try to do 100 because inevitably my hat would probably blow off. The curse of the middle-aged male, having to wear a hat in a convertible to avoid a sunburned scalp.

I drove a stock car around Richmond International Raceway a year or two ago. Only hit 96 mph (they told you how fast you could go), but since each straightaway is less than half a mile long, it was still kind of wild to go that speed. I'd love to do it again on one of the big speedways.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

My 2001 Prelude has a top speed of 140. I've gone 102, but I should get bonus points for doing it in Virginia.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

AsphaltPlanet

191 km/h in my sister's audi.  That's the speed the car was limited to.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Scott5114

I did 100 once in a Chevy Cavalier just to say that I had. I was on a county road in rural Oklahoma, which probably wasn't the best place to test the theory.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

138 MPH on I-10 in a 2011 Camaro SS heading down hill westbound somewhere before the big drop to Quartzsite.  Apparently it was governed to 155 MPH in that particular model year but would do something like 173 MPH.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on October 06, 2016, 09:55:35 PM
My 2001 Prelude has a top speed of 140. I've gone 102, but I should get bonus points for doing it in Virginia.

Heh. My 120 mph was in Northern Virginia. I slowed down when I realized I was approaching a car up ahead at more than double that car's speed!

cpzilliacus

Long(er) distance - about 80 to 85 across the Alligator Alley in Florida, before it was I-75 - back then it was a wannabe Super-2 highway. 

Short(er) distance - about 90 or 95 MPH in my current (but worn) 2001 Ford F250, which was as fast as it would go (I believe it has some sort of governor, as well as a built in RPM limiter, though I was noplace close to red-lining it in 6th gear).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

slorydn1

GPS indicated 145.8 mph on a brand new just opened bypass, no traffic and no opportunities for cross traffic save for an errant deer....2012 Mustang GT 5.0. Sadly, that was all it would do, the governor kicked in, foot was on the floor for 4.5 miles of that 5.5 mile bypass, lol.

I never did test out my 2014, I figured it would be the same, and by the time I got that car the new bypass wasn't so new anymore-plenty of other cars on the road to worry about.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Otto Yamamoto

120+ on Interstate 15 between Barstow and Vegas in a '69 Chevelle. Not sure how fast, exactly, as the needle pegged there.

XT1585

DandyDan

I got to 100 on I-80 in western Iowa once in my old Saturn SL2.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

PHLBOS

110 mph in my brother's '74 Mercury Marquis during the mid-1980s.  It had the 460 cid (7.5L) V8.

112* mph in my 2007 Ford Mustang convertible which has the 4.0L V6.  *Speed governed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Fastest I've ever driven was about 95 mph in my sister's 1984 Civic on I-90 in Wyoming.  My sister was with me, and we were driving from Montana to New York City (and no, she didn't disapprove of my speed).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Somewhere between 95 and 100 on I-15 in Idaho, south of Rexburg, in some sort of rental sedan.  I was just going and my kids in the back seat suddenly yelled out, "Dad, you're going 100!"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Cool idea for a thread...

105 mph in my 2015 Golf TDI, right about here: https://goo.gl/5ivzJI (SB I-5, south of Olympia -- I would have gone faster but there's too much traffic).

Quote from: corco on October 06, 2016, 08:58:42 PM
My current car (a 2015 VW Golf) tops out at 124, but I've never taken it past 95 or so.

Maybe the TSI and TDI are different, but I've seen videos of the TDI Golf going over 140 mph.

ukfan758

97 mph on I-71 in Louisville at around 1am.

doorknob60

95 MPH on US-20 between Bend, OR and Burns (55 MPH limit at the time). Passing a truck, had to floor it to get past in time. Which is funny, because I've never even hit 90 MPH on I-84 in Idaho (80 MPH limit). Around 85 is the limit I feel comfortable cruising at, regardless of speed limit. At least in my Subaru Forester.

epzik8

I hit 86 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike around Somerset in my 2004 Buick Century last week.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

LM117

100mph in a 2005 Dodge Stratus one day back in early 2007 while I was a senior in high school. I was on I-795 in NC (signed as US-117 at the time) and the road was still new with hardly any traffic and no cops. I treated I-795 like it was my own personal Daytona 500 since I was living in Fremont back then. It was governed at 100mph. I usually cruised 80-95mph. The car handled pretty damn well! I had a lot of fun cruising up and down I-795 with the radio blaring back then.

I was in Goldsboro 3 weeks ago and came down I-795 from Wilson. There's no way I would attempt 100mph on that road again. One, I no longer have the Stratus and now driving an older SUV that's seen better days to put it mildly, and two, I noticed I-795 is carrying a bit more traffic than it used to. Nothing bumper to bumper, but not as empty as it once was.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware a Dodge Stratus isn't nothing to brag about, but it was still in new condition with low mileage and it beat what I was driving before, which was my own 2 feet.)
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CNGL-Leudimin

I haven't ever gone past 85 mph. My current car tops out at 122 mph, never tested that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2016, 10:54:56 PM

Heh. My 120 mph was in Northern Virginia. I slowed down when I realized I was approaching a car up ahead at more than double that car's speed!

Y'all are damn sure braver than I am! :wow:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Quote from: LM117 on October 07, 2016, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2016, 10:54:56 PM

Y'all are damn sure braver than I am! :wow:

I think I like this spelling of "dumber" better than the usual spelling.  :biggrin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.