News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 12, 2016, 11:41:51 AM
And now the entire Appalachian Trail (except for the section between Mount Washington and NH 16 in New Hampshire) has been renamed South River Fire Road.

I recently had to contact them about the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail that wasn't even 4WD accessible in central KY that they had marked as a road.  Of course, the route they gave me had me going down it; glad I caught it before heading off.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Davis Circle has been extended to the traffic circle on Monroe Street, and Dr. Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard has been opened between Governors Drive (US 431) and Pelham Avenue:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.721981,-86.5863386,17z/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Davis Circle's extension is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7235361,-86.5893347,19z/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Dr. Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard was built here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7214781,-86.5854052,18z/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Rothman on May 12, 2016, 12:22:27 PMI recently had to contact them about the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail that wasn't even 4WD accessible in central KY that they had marked as a road.  Of course, the route they gave me had me going down it; glad I caught it before heading off.

Heck, last month I did a trail running race that went through a trail Google Maps has marked as a road. However 'South River Fire Road' is still marked as a trail.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mrsman

My biggest pet peeve with regard to Google Maps is when they use a highway name or number that is technically correct, but completely unused locally.

For example, the use of "lincoln highway" through many towns along US 30, even though it may be known locally (and on signs posted) as "Main Street"

vdeane

Google has marked at least one NYS reference route as well... and I'm not talking about the four that are actually signed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on May 22, 2016, 01:57:48 PM
Google has marked at least one NYS reference route as well... and I'm not talking about the four that are actually signed.

I've found 912M and 914V (the first is the Berkshire Connector).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

cl94

Quote from: 1 on May 22, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 22, 2016, 01:57:48 PM

I've found 912M and 914V (the first is the Berkshire Connector).

They've signed many more than two. 911E and 912Q in Warren County are signed prominently on Google Maps, for example.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

Google also has all of the county routes here in Alabama marked, even the ones that aren't signed!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

LM117

Google still has US-117 following the I-795/US-264 concurrency to I-95 in Wilson, NC despite US-117 being returned to it's 2-lane alignment between Goldsboro and Wilson years ago.  :pan: US-117 shows up on I-795/US-264 only when zoomed in close, though.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

freebrickproductions

College Street in Cherokee, AL was closed at the Norfolk Southern grade crossing recently, but it's still marked as open on Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.756263,-87.9736739,19.45z?hl=en

(They/Them)

Avalanchez71

Google shows a secondary state road in NC as state road "NORTH CAROLINA" off of US 70 out by Beaufort.

US71

It's not Google, but I've seen a few TV weather maps show I-271 in Oklahoma ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bickendan

OR 170 has made an appearance on google maps, despite having been turned back over 20 years ago...

bootmii

Born again roadgeek from California.

WNYroadgeek

Looks like Google didn't get the memo that the eastern half of the Inner Loop was permanently closed a year and a half ago: https://goo.gl/maps/jkmuWQHLKq22

CtrlAltDel

It bothers me that the old Elgin-O'Hare Expressway is now marked as "Illinois Route 390." It is Illinois Route 390, but it's marked with words instead of a 390 in a circle.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

dfwmapper

Working on Rochester. Some genius put it back on the map after it had already been deleted. It should only take 10 or 15 tries to get it deleted again.

IL 390 is stuck like that because Google sucks at fixing bugs on Map Maker, in this case the one that prevents numbered highway names from being created or modified. 390 has been reported and requested to be fixed directly by Google (they use a separate system that is apparently less buggy), but nothing has come of it. :banghead:

SignGeek101

Apparently, the ON 417 extension is now open. Even if it was, Google marks it as ON 17, it's not marked as a freeway (as it should), and the loops at Campbell drive are done terribly.  :banghead:

https://goo.gl/maps/zL5QcErLqs62

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Max Rockatansky

For some reason Google has CA 145 terminating at the north end of Millerton Lake rather than CA 41:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0188957,-119.6775379,15z?hl=en

East of the CA 145 terminus the road is called Road 145 which what I'm thinking is causing the map error.

JMoses24

Apparently, SR 265 in Indiana is now marked as SR 841 as well (but I've seen no such signage to that effect).

Max Rockatansky

State road 4a is still listed as a state highway on Little Torch Key.  County routes are still listed on Geiger, Boca Chica, Sugarloaf, and Boot Key.

noelbotevera

jakeroot

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.