News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

vdeane

Anyone else notice that you can't modify a route as many times in the driving directions on new maps?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2014, 01:37:14 PM
Anyone else notice that you can't modify a route as many times in the driving directions on new maps?

I've noticed that printing a map has become difficult.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DeaconG

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2014, 05:46:07 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2014, 01:37:14 PM

I've noticed that printing a map has become difficult.

Yes, they force you to use CTRL+P to print...and the map size is tiny as hell.

Hate it hate it HATE IT!

And it ALWAYS defaults to the new map...you can never set the Goog to give you the older maps all the time.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

rickmastfan67

That's weird. I have Google Maps always default to the old ones in my copy of Firefox.

Roadrunner75

I have a "Favorites Bar" button in IE that goes directly to the old Google maps.  However, when I click a GSV link here, it always go to the new one of course.  Very annoying.

DeaconG

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 23, 2014, 10:20:19 PM
That's weird. I have Google Maps always default to the old ones in my copy of Firefox.

I've done it in my copy of Firefox before, but it never sticks for some reason...but now I look at what Roadrunner75 posted and now I'm wondering if when you click on a link it hard resets your browser to go back to the old one.

So I reset it in my browser, but now I've created a Google Maps Old School bookmark with the old maps up, let's see what happens here over time.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

vdeane

The best way to ensure you're always using the old Google Maps is to do the following:
1. If you aren't using Windows 7 or earlier, switch to Windows 7.
2. Uninstall any IE upgrades (ie: IE9, 10, 11, etc.)
3. Go into "default programs" and make IE8 your default browser
4. Uninstall any other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) you may have

After this, you will never see the new Maps again!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

algorerhythms

Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 12:48:52 PM
The best way to ensure you're always using the old Google Maps is to do the following:
1. If you aren't using Windows 7 or earlier, switch to Windows 7.
2. Uninstall any IE upgrades (ie: IE9, 10, 11, etc.)
3. Go into "default programs" and make IE8 your default browser
4. Uninstall any other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) you may have

After this, you will never see the new Maps again!
That's like saying the best cure for a cold is a cyanide capsule. It'll end your cold, but you might not like the side effects...

1995hoo

I use Waterfox and I never get the new Google Maps unless I'm clicking a link, and it hasn't reset to the old one after I click a link.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

I have Google Maps default to the old one and I never see the new one unless I choose to go to the new one.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

DeaconG

Well, this morning I went to open up Google Maps and the new one was staring me in the face.  Not only that, the "Old School" map link I'd set aside in Firefox has ALSO reverted to the new Google Maps.

Almost three weeks...

vdeane

I noticed yesterday that the distance measurement tool has returned (available in the right click menu).  It even looks like a ruler now and gives intermediate mileage and you can move/remove the points at will like with driving directions.  I haven't tried to measure an entire interstate though, so I don't know if there's a restriction on how many points you can have.

Now they just need to increase the number of points allowed in driving directions and my complaints will be satisfied.  I don't really care about the inability to generate a short URL in street view as the street view URLs in new Maps aren't terribly long.

SSOWorld

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2014, 12:42:49 PM
I noticed yesterday that the distance measurement tool has returned (available in the right click menu).  It even looks like a ruler now and gives intermediate mileage and you can move/remove the points at will like with driving directions.  I haven't tried to measure an entire interstate though, so I don't know if there's a restriction on how many points you can have.

Now they just need to increase the number of points allowed in driving directions and my complaints will be satisfied.  I don't really care about the inability to generate a short URL in street view as the street view URLs in new Maps aren't terribly long.
I use Google Maps Engine Lite for my customized road trips.  It supports up to about 20 points (SWAG)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

adventurernumber1

I do like something GM did within the past day. Idk if anyone else noticed, but now the roads look slightly more like they did before that time last year when they really switched the roads' design around. http://prntscr.com/4ppu6m that's what I'm talking about. Anyone else like that they bring this back? You can much more clearly see if a road is a divided highway or non-divided highway, and I always liked this design on GM, and I'm glad it's back.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

NE2

Toll roads now look like shit when you zoom in. As they should, I suppose.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

Quote from: NE2 on September 23, 2014, 08:19:12 PM

I haven't gotten the chance to zoom in on any toll roads until now, err..well this is new.. http://prntscr.com/4pqfnr I don't think it's that bad, but it's definitely something getting used to.  :hmmm:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 23, 2014, 08:31:54 PM

I haven't gotten the chance to zoom in on any toll roads until now, err..well this is new.. http://prntscr.com/4pqfnr I don't think it's that bad, but it's definitely something getting used to.  :hmmm:
How am I supposed to distinguish toll roads?  Tiny black borders on the otherwise typical freeway orange?  How about green like every other map?

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 23, 2014, 09:12:50 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 23, 2014, 08:31:54 PM

How am I supposed to distinguish toll roads?  Tiny black borders on the otherwise typical freeway orange?  How about green like every other map?

Who the fuck thought that this was a good change? I would love to see toll roads in green instead of freeway orange. Well, I guess then tolled crossings would appear green as well with that criteria...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Tolled non-freeways would then be shown as freeways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OracleUsr

I hate the new one.  I like to look at road signs and always preferred looking at them through Maps rather than doing an engine search and getting a bunch of irrelevant crap.

Half the time I get to a highway and it says it's going to Street View and it puts me on some side road where it is either nowhere near the road I'm looking for or it's impossible to get to the road I'm looking for.  I-85 in Suwanee, GA, is a great example.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

adventurernumber1

Quote from: OracleUsr on September 23, 2014, 10:13:17 PM
Half the time I get to a highway and it says it's going to Street View and it puts me on some side road where it is either nowhere near the road I'm looking for or it's impossible to get to the road I'm looking for.

Ikr, that happens to me all the time. It's really bad if you're doing something like trying to get on an interstate when it has frontage roads or a lot of roads right near it. But I've had to deal with it and I've found out how to get back to what I'm doing pretty quickly. When you move the mouse around, you of course should see a circle/oval looking thing. If the road or interstate you want to get on is in vision, click on it with that circle/oval. Another way is to drag the orange guy on the mini-map shown when in street-view to the road you want to be on.

dfwmapper

It takes 3 clicks to return to classic. Couple more if you want to tell them exactly what parts of the new one suck. Of all the dumb things Google has done to maps, this doesn't even rate, trust me.

Duke87

It seems they've even attempted to flag only one side of a bridge if it's only tolled in one direction.

I say "attempted" because I see they have rebuilt the eastbound Verazzano toll plaza. :rolleyes:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

If I print out driving direction in the new Google Maps, it's all gibberish. I've reported the problem, but they've never responded.

So I have to switch back to classic and re-enter all the info.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Zeffy

Does anyone else see a gray line next to this view of the Calhoun Street Bridge in Trenton? There's nothing there on that side, I thought it was a pedestrian crossing, but it's literally nothing.

Also, it appears ramps that lead directly to tolls of some sort (I.E. no exits before it) are outlined to draw more attention as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.