News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

WWE sucks

Started by bugo, September 14, 2012, 09:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

What i miss was the old NWA World Wide and NWA Pro shows where the show would end in a near riot in the ring as various faces and heels would be going at it as Tony Schivone would be saying "Fans, time is up!  We have to go!" and David Crockett would be pleading "No, no!  We cant go!"  as the camera fades to black.  You kept tuning in even though you would almost never find out what happened from that near-riot on last week's show.....

And the BEST heel faction of ALL time...they were so bad they had fans cheering for them....the Four Horsemen!  Unlike DX, the NWO and other, more recent heel groups, the Horsemen understood that to generate heat, it was good for business to occasionally suffer a beat-down or loss on TV...this would keep fans coming hoping that when they were at the house show, they would see the Horsemen get their comeuppance.....why come out if you knew the NWO or DX would always win?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on September 19, 2012, 09:26:11 PM
I never thought it was a shoot, but it was more believable than most wrestling angles.

And yes, Hall is in bad shape.  Decades of drug abuse has ravaged his body.

I haven't watched wrestling in so long, nor have I read r.s.p.w, so I used the wrong terminology.

Instead of saying that I thought it was a shoot, I should have said that I marked out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: ctsignguy on September 22, 2012, 03:05:01 PM
What i miss was the old NWA World Wide and NWA Pro shows where the show would end in a near riot in the ring as various faces and heels would be going at it as Tony Schivone would be saying "Fans, time is up!  We have to go!" and David Crockett would be pleading "No, no!  We cant go!"  as the camera fades to black.  You kept tuning in even though you would almost never find out what happened from that near-riot on last week's show.....

And the BEST heel faction of ALL time...they were so bad they had fans cheering for them....the Four Horsemen!  Unlike DX, the NWO and other, more recent heel groups, the Horsemen understood that to generate heat, it was good for business to occasionally suffer a beat-down or loss on TV...this would keep fans coming hoping that when they were at the house show, they would see the Horsemen get their comeuppance.....why come out if you knew the NWO or DX would always win?

Wow John, you hit the nail on the head with all of your NWA posts. I was an avid fan of the show on TBS. Knew to tune in at 6:05 every Saturday. Always found the TV title as my favorite, from Tully Blanchard of the Horseman, with his $10,000 challenge to the Great Muta (another all time favorite). I still have Halloween Havoc '89 on tape, where Ric Flair and Sting teamed up vs. Great Muta and Terry Funk with Gary Hart as manager. I loved how they still used popular music at the time, as the late Flyin' Bryan used Def Leppard's Rocket and Doom (Ron Simmons and Butch Reed), managed by the late Woman (aka Nancy Sullivan), came out to Bob Segar's Her Strut.

amroad17

The NWA, specifically the Mid-Atlantic area, had some of the best shows in the mid 80's.  The "closed-circuit" (how's that for an old-time term?) Starrcades and Great American Bashs were very entertaining, especially the two-ring cage matches involving the Horsemen vs. any babyfaces with Dusty Rhodes.  Also can't forget the Bunkhouse Stampede matches.

The heyday for the WWE was from 1996-2003.  Stone Cold, the Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H along with "Mr. McMahon" had my attention.  Matches were very good and storylines were tight.

The WWE now has boring storylines, many bland wrestlers, and matches that are not interesting at all.  And if there is going to be a divas match, let it last for 8-10 minutes instead of the 3-4 minutes they have now.  Allow them to tell a story too.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ctsignguy

Quote from: amroad17 on September 22, 2012, 09:11:10 PM

The heyday for the WWE was from 1996-2003.  Stone Cold, the Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H along with "Mr. McMahon" had my attention.  Matches were very good and storylines were tight.

Some of those guys spent time in the NWA/WCW but were misused or not pushed properly by Ole and the guys who booked after him.  Stunning Steve Austin, Cactus Jack Manson, Mean Mark Callous, and Jean Paul Levesque (originally billed as Terra Ryzing.....who dreamt up THAT one?)   Shawn was in the old AWA as half of the Midnight Rockers....on that list , there was only one 'home-grown' star, the Rock....

The WWE now has boring storylines, many bland wrestlers, and matches that are not interesting at all.  And if there is going to be a divas match, let it last for 8-10 minutes instead of the 3-4 minutes they have now.  Allow them to tell a story too.

Not under the current WWE bookers.   You want to see decent ladies wrestling, go to TNA....the Knockouts there at least seem to be accorded respect to their product, and they get some pretty solid minutes in a show to tell a story in the ring.  Myself, i would rather trade five stupid backstage skits for a decent ladies match where they get to tell a story and sell each other....Gail Kim is solid when it comes to selling in the ring, but her last WWE stint, she was eye candy for the background...you never saw her except in 8 and 10-women tag matches that they somehow made to last under 3 minutes....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

Quote from: ctsignguy on September 22, 2012, 10:44:04 PM

Some of those guys spent time in the NWA/WCW but were misused or not pushed properly by Ole and the guys who booked after him.  Stunning Steve Austin, Cactus Jack Manson, Mean Mark Callous, and Jean Paul Levesque (originally billed as Terra Ryzing.....who dreamt up THAT one?)   Shawn was in the old AWA as half of the Midnight Rockers....on that list , there was only one 'home-grown' star, the Rock....

Remember a lot of that. They also briefly had Adam Copeland (Edge) as a jobber and then there was the infamous mess-up where Bishoff fired Brian Pillman so he could go to ECW and retool himself as the Loose Cannon, only to sign instead with WWF vs. coming back to WCW.

Quote from: ctsignguy on September 22, 2012, 10:44:04 PM

Not under the current WWE bookers.   You want to see decent ladies wrestling, go to TNA....the Knockouts there at least seem to be accorded respect to their product, and they get some pretty solid minutes in a show to tell a story in the ring.  Myself, i would rather trade five stupid backstage skits for a decent ladies match where they get to tell a story and sell each other....Gail Kim is solid when it comes to selling in the ring, but her last WWE stint, she was eye candy for the background...you never saw her except in 8 and 10-women tag matches that they somehow made to last under 3 minutes....

The unfortunate thing is that TNA has let go of Angelina Love, Velvet Sky, Winter and Rosita, leaving them with pretty much just six knockouts. Hard to base a division around so few, especially when they have not officially dropped the Knockouts tag titles.

Shifting gears, glad to hear that the TNA TV title will be brought back after Devon left the company when his contract expired. AFAIC, Bully Ray can go with him though I would likely mark out for a reunited Dudley Boyz in WWE, should they go that way for a reinvented tag team division. Also the comments about the Prime Time Players was spot on. The release of AW for his Kobe Bryant remark was pretty lame, but at the same time Vince has stated that he dislikes managers and feels that they are not needed. So I am not surprised.

amroad17

That's another reason why the WWE sucks.  The lack of excellent tag teams.  They have seemingly started giving more attention to the tag team division, however, the teams they have now have not consistently been together.  Most tag team matches now have the two babyfaces who are in singles feuds with the two heels.

texaskdog

Stratuscaster

IMHO, the biggest issue with wrestling today is - as noted by others - there simply is not enough time devoted to the storyline aspects. It's all short-attention-span "crash TV".

Way back when there was only 5 PPVs a year (one each season plus Wrestlemania for WWF/E), you had plenty of time to build a storyline and make it MEAN something. Today with a PPV every 4-5 weeks, there's not enough time to get the viewer interested in the storyline. Plus, not everyone can afford 13 PPVs at an average of $50 a pop each.

Today, just about every performer on the card is an "A" or "B" list guy - long gone are the days of the lowly jobber getting TV matches against the big-name stars - and that's a shame. There really is no "Barry Horowitz" or "Iron Mike Sharpe" today.

Been watching almost religiously since 1983 - plenty of good performers, storylines, angles, and gimmicks - and plenty of not so good performers, crappy storylines, stupid angles, and unbelievable gimmicks.

"Managers" and "valets" SHOULD come back. They add an element to the show that can make or break the performers they work with. Not everyone can be a physical wrestler, but there are folks that perform well on the mic and can get the crowd to pop or instantly add more heat to their "guy" by their actions.

Agree that tag teams are almost a lost art. Today when you've got a roster filled with talent and are trying to figure out what to do with them and how to fill a 3 hour show, well that's what tag team matches are for - even more so when you do as they once did and have actual titles for the 6-man and 8-man tag team groups.

Both TNA and WWE have their moments, but then they also put stuff on the air that makes me wonder what they are all smoking. Both rely on a couple of key performers way too much - and it's worse in TNA with Hogan. Yes, he's still a draw, but they should not be promoting the whole show around him - that's a slap in the face to the other guys that can actually go out and perform.

I recall being in Atlanta on a business trip, sitting in the hotel room watching TV and coming across - IIRC - a SIX HOUR block of nothing but pro-wrestling shows from the WWF, NWA, AWA, WCCW, and others - as I recall, it was hosted by "The Round Mound of Sound" Joe Pedicino. Barely slept as I stayed up watching the whole block of shows - nothing stands out as being overly great, but I was interesting in watching how each group built and promoted their stars and storylines.

If I had to pick a favorite overall, I think I would choose William "Lord Steven" Regal. The guy could cut a great promo, had the perfect snotty English attitude, and could carry just about anyone to a good if not great match.

texaskdog

They treat it like they did during the wars.  Why do "quarter hours" even matter when no one is turning over to Nitro.  Work on TELLING A GOOD STORY.  they've lost their way and can't figure out how to get it back.  Case in point when a good worker comes in and can't work their boring style they say they "don't know how to work".  At least with Nitro there were many different type of matches.  Now they are all required to rassle the same match.

bugo

At least TNA has good matches.  The storylines suck and the production leaves a lot to be desired, but the matches are way better.

Alex

Quote from: bugo on September 26, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
At least TNA has good matches.  The storylines suck and the production leaves a lot to be desired, but the matches are way better.

One thing that was good that happened was the Claire Lynch storyline was immediately dropped once the actress (Julia Reilly) who played her was found out.

I do like the Aces and 8's storyline FWIW.

bugo

I liked Beer Money.  I heard they broke up.  They had the best tag team name of all time.

ctsignguy

The real problem is simply this:  Vince wont change things unless someone  (TNA, ROH or some other promotion we dont know about) becomes a CREDIBLE alternative promotion and starts to suck away fan interest and dollars.....TNA had their shot and botched it as badly as a Sin Cara match (even if the action is compelling, there is seldom storylines that make sense over the long term, and i am waiting to find they choked on the Aces and 8s angle by revealing the gang is made up of Iron Mike Sharpe, Barry Horowitz,  Mike Jackson, Barry O, and the Mulkey Brothers....)

ROH has its strong points, but i dont know how credible they can be at this point

ctsignguy

The NWA, specifically the Mid-Atlantic area, had some of the best shows in the mid 80's.  The "closed-circuit" (how's that for an old-time term?) Starrcades and Great American Bashs were very entertaining, especially the two-ring cage matches involving the Horsemen vs. any babyfaces with Dusty Rhodes.  Also can't forget the Bunkhouse Stampede matches.

i was lucky to have picked up the WarGames (Bash 87) for 10 bucks.....sat down and watched it one night this last week...man, the War Games matches were action pretty much from start to finish....Dusty out-did himself with that concept, and i recall reading where the wrestlers involved afterward thought it was the most fun they had in quite a while.....

Stratuscaster

One would think with 3 hours on Monday night to fill, then 2 hours on Friday nights, then the new hour on Ion with Main Event, plus the NXT and Superstars shows, they could actually do that - tell some decent stories and give matches a bit more time.

jp the roadgeek

Eh, I gave up watching WWE years ago.  However, I will be supporting the CEO's wife for US Senate.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ctsignguy

Quote from: Stratuscaster on October 07, 2012, 09:12:40 PM
One would think with 3 hours on Monday night to fill, then 2 hours on Friday nights, then the new hour on Ion with Main Event, plus the NXT and Superstars shows, they could actually do that - tell some decent stories and give matches a bit more time.

Nahhh, they still place too much emphasis on the stupid back-stage skits instead of the in-ring action.....

amroad17

I'd rather see backstage action where someone gets attacked or a free-for-all between two feuding wrestlers instead of "comic relief".

ctsignguy

I am restarting this old thread to note something i found amusing last night...

Went to my new SO's house for dinner along with her two teenage sons (15 and 19).  Both boys are wrestling fans, so i thought i would show them what wrassling USED to be like, and showed them two old NWA tapes.... Starrcade 86 (Night of the Skywalkers), and Great American Bash 87 (War Games)

While they only recognized a few of the wrestlers (Flair, Dusty, Arn, and the Roadies), and mistook Big Bubba Rogers for the Undertaker or Kane (huh?  O_o!  Jim Cornette would have a small-sized cow over THAT one!), overall they enjoyed the tapes and admitted there was far more action than a typical WWE effort anymore (and they were shocked at all the blood, and that often both faces and heels would bleed profusely......ahhh, the joys of modern corporate wrestling eh?)

At the end of the evening, the younger one asked how many more such tapes I had....so i guess they may want to see a few more of the REAL Golden age of Wrestling...

Stratuscaster

Flair's bladed so many times he can bleed just by wiping the sweat off his brow.

But yes, classic NWA (pre-WCW) stuff was pretty wild.

Health risks are a much bigger reason for the lack of blading today.

bugo

WCW was good up until the nWo fizzled out.  WWF hasn't been good since the Austin era, and it wasn't that good then.

Alex

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 23, 2013, 08:40:20 PM

Went to my new SO's house for dinner along with her two teenage sons (15 and 19).  Both boys are wrestling fans, so i thought i would show them what wrassling USED to be like, and showed them two old NWA tapes.... Starrcade 86 (Night of the Skywalkers), and Great American Bash 87 (War Games)

While they only recognized a few of the wrestlers (Flair, Dusty, Arn, and the Roadies), and mistook Big Bubba Rogers for the Undertaker or Kane (huh?  O_o!  Jim Cornette would have a small-sized cow over THAT one!), overall they enjoyed the tapes and admitted there was far more action than a typical WWE effort anymore (and they were shocked at all the blood, and that often both faces and heels would bleed profusely......ahhh, the joys of modern corporate wrestling eh?)

At the end of the evening, the younger one asked how many more such tapes I had....so i guess they may want to see a few more of the REAL Golden age of Wrestling...

The Skywalkers match was revolutionary for its day. IIRC Jim Cornette broke his leg because Big Bubba Rodgers (Ray Traylor) failed to catch him from the fall.

I have introduced my son to some of the glory days of wrestling as well. I have a VHS of Halloween Havoc '89 that we watched, and a number of WCW ppv's from the 1990s, including the horrible nWo Souled Out ppv from 1997 that I showed him as well. He got me the Best of Nitro Vol. 1 last year, which is actually well put together for a WWE-made collection. So he's versed in the glory days of wrestling, both before 1990 and the mid-1990s resurgence.

These days I still watch WWE (though with massive disappointment and complaints), Impact (not a whole lot better) and Ring of Honor (where Jim Cornette was until August). My wrestling DVD collection is growing and I plan on dubbing 20 or so tapes of 90's ppvs, Raws and Nitro's onto disc this year before the tapes succumb to age.

ctsignguy

Quote from: Alex on February 24, 2013, 09:59:31 AM
Quote from: ctsignguy on February 23, 2013, 08:40:20 PM

The Skywalkers match was revolutionary for its day. IIRC Jim Cornette broke his leg because Big Bubba Rodgers (Ray Traylor) failed to catch him from the fall.

I have introduced my son to some of the glory days of wrestling as well. I have a VHS of Halloween Havoc '89 that we watched, and a number of WCW ppv's from the 1990s, including the horrible nWo Souled Out ppv from 1997 that I showed him as well. He got me the Best of Nitro Vol. 1 last year, which is actually well put together for a WWE-made collection. So he's versed in the glory days of wrestling, both before 1990 and the mid-1990s resurgence.

These days I still watch WWE (though with massive disappointment and complaints), Impact (not a whole lot better) and Ring of Honor (where Jim Cornette was until August). My wrestling DVD collection is growing and I plan on dubbing 20 or so tapes of 90's ppvs, Raws and Nitro's onto disc this year before the tapes succumb to age.

Somehow i have managed to acquire most all of the tapes made of NWA shows prior to WCW in 1991 (only one i am missing is the tape for the Crockett Cupo 86 which is really hard to find and pricey when it does appear!)
Ringmasters (GAB 85, the longer version)
Starrcade 85
GAB 86
Starrcade 86
Crockett Cup 87
GAB 87
Starrcade 87
Crockett Cup 88
(all five Clashes released on VHS... Clash V from Cleveland was pretty wild when Steamboat and Flair went at it!)
GAB 88
Starrcade 88
ChiTown Rumble 89
Wrestle War 89
GAB 89
Halloween Havoc 89
Starrcade 89
Wrestle War 90
Capital Combat (the worst PPV done until the GAB 91....somehow seeing the Horsemen cower in front of a guy in a robot suit destroyed the credibility of the NWA...one of Jim Herd's lousy ideas....i coudnt picture Tully and Arn cowering the way Sid did...JJ Dillon would have had a plan in place to deal with a mere actor!)
GAB 90
Halloween Havoc 90 (at this point, you started hearing a lot less of NWA and far more WCW)
Starrcade 90 (supposedly the winner of Sting/Black Scorpion was to be the first WCW champion...but i do recall the Starrcade PPV advertising still mentioned 'stars of the NWA').

texaskdog

1.5 years later and it's still awful. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.