There's an 'anti-selfie' bill in the Philippine Congress

Started by bing101, September 07, 2014, 11:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/08/28/14/theres-anti-selfie-bill-congress

Umm How will this be enforced since Facebook, Twitter and others are based here in the USA? Facebook, Twitter and others are not able to enforce Philippine law since these companies that are targeted respond more to U.S, EU and much richer countries laws and V.C's.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

It's not even anti-selfie, it's anti-profitting-off-others'-likenesses. 

Negligent headline writing gets more attention, though.

formulanone

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2014, 04:40:14 PM
It's not even anti-selfie, it's anti-profitting-off-others'-likenesses. 

Negligent headline writing gets more attention, though.

That article has so little to do with self-portraits that someone ought to be demoted. For every misleading headline, I ought to introduce myself to the media as "Mister President"; after all, I vote for one every four years.

While the first bullet point brought up is too vague to be enforced, the other two are entirely valid privacy protections, in my opinion. Nobody should be allowed to profit from the likenesses of others (in a non-public location) without their consent and/or without some sort of negotiated reward. The question is whether a free website is culpable because they profit from selling advertising.

Then again, this for the Philippines...their privacy laws are different than America's. They don't have freedom of panorama, so a further law on identity isn't exactly surprising; after all, it gives further excuses for police to question suspicious people with cameras.

bing101

Another argument this article mentioned was rights for journalists in that country. How will they ensure freedom of speech is kept?

I think the USA and EU Internet laws will trump whatever Philippine Congress has in mind. Privacy laws on the web are based on where the company in question is located. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.