News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I have some google map questions, can someone help?

Started by ARMOURERERIC, September 13, 2014, 10:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

s there a way to take a Google map arial view and "draw" on it.  I am trying to buy a farm and want to make some planning notations on it.

Thanks.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Do a screenshot (Shift—PrintScreen on a PC, don't know about a Mac), load some kind of drawing software like MS Paint, and draw away.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

NE2 FWIW, I was stupid in not thinking of that.  I just bought a printer this week for the first time in years, and just like that  image you posted from your house, it is much less expensive to buy a new printer than replace the ink cartridge.  Thanks for the reminder.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2014, 11:12:24 PM
Do a screenshot (Shift—PrintScreen on a PC, don't know about a Mac)

That depends on the keyboard/computer.  I know with my keyboard, all I have to do is hit the 'Print Screen' button to get it on the clipboard.

Also, if you're using Firefox, you could install this addon: Screengrab
It allows you to take a screenshot of the entire page (including stuff that is hidden and can only be accessed by the scrollbar).

Roadrunner75

If you're using Windows 7, the included Snipping Tool is great for this type of thing.  It lets you select the entire screen or just drag a box around the area of the screen you want to save as an image.

sammi

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 14, 2014, 12:03:03 AM
If you're using Windows 7, the included Snipping Tool is great for this type of thing.  It lets you select the entire screen or just drag a box around the area of the screen you want to save as an image.

This is actually what I do. So take a screenshot of the area you want, then just paste it into an image editor (such as Paint or Inkscape) and make your edits there. If you have a bigger area, take multiple screenshots and line them up.

SteveG1988

just tap print screen on windows, go into paint, and paste.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

billtm

Step one: Return to classic google maps
Step two: Click on the maps labs link on the bottom of the left sidebar
Step three: Add on the distance measurement tool
Step four: Trace over the map with the tool to draw what you want

Hope this helps! :bigass:

Pete from Boston

I've never used the distance measurement tool in Google Maps.  Does it automatically account for the distance distortion inherent in the map projection?

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 14, 2014, 11:20:21 AM
I've never used the distance measurement tool in Google Maps.  Does it automatically account for the distance distortion inherent in the map projection?

Yes. Zoom way out and measure distance between two points a couple thousand miles apart. It will show a visibly curved line, indicating the shortest path across the surface of the Earth.

Using that tool doesn't change the URL, though, so you cannot permalink to a measurement you've taken.

This feature is now in the new Google Maps as well, by the way.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

As long as you don't need a unit other than miles or kilometers, I've found the distance measurement tool in new Maps is actually better than the one in old Maps.  You can move/remove intermediate points (you can also make the measurement a loop), and it gives you both miles and kilometers at the same time, neither of which was possible on the one in old Maps, and you don't even need to enable a lab for it!  It is harder to find though; it's on the right click menu, and the point where you click becomes the first point in the distance measurement.

What you REALLY want, though, is Google Maps Engine: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/splash?app=mp
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webfil

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PMWhat you REALLY want, though, is Google Maps Engine: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/splash?app=mp

Wow. That really took 11 "print/printscreen" answers before that one came out?

vdeane

To be fair, I only remembered it because someone mentioned it in another thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Re: distance, I ask because I only just paid attention enough to notice that when you scroll north, the "Web Mercator" projection causes the scale bar to change dramatically.  This is one choice of the possible necessary compromises in any map, of course.  You can pick your distortion, and in this case it's distance.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PM
As long as you don't need a unit other than miles or kilometers

It gives you feet or meters for shorter measurements. I'm not sure what units other than feet/miles or meters/kilometers you would reasonably want, but you can always do math if you absolutely must know how many cubits it is between two points.

What you REALLY want, though, is Google Maps Engine: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/splash?app=mp

Oh, so THAT'S what became of the old "my maps" feature! Had no idea it was still around!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on September 15, 2014, 12:49:44 AM
As long as you don't need a unit other than miles or kilometers

It gives you feet or meters for shorter measurements. I'm not sure what units other than feet/miles or meters/kilometers you would reasonably want, but you can always do math if you absolutely must know how many cubits it is between two points.
Yeah, just figured that out when I was doing my BQE Spur exit list last night.  Once you hit a mile, that's when it switches.  Easy enough to just extend the line further, since Google now gives you intermediate measurements.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.