News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NOAA Weather Radio

Started by 02 Park Ave, September 23, 2014, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Do any motorcar manufacturers offer an NOAA weather radio in their venhicles?

I had heard that MB did at one time.
C-o-H

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

briantroutman

The only passenger cars I can recall seeing with the NOAA Weather Radio bands are certain late '90s through mid 2000s Subarus. Out of all the rental cars I've had and family and friends cars I've ridden in, not a single other one had that feature. And apparently, no current Subarus offer the feature.

You could get an aftermarket head unit that offers weather bands, such as this one: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD1630/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD1630B.html

And another alternative would be to get a small battery operated weather radio and carry it in the car with you. That solution wouldn't be as convenient, reception probably wouldn't be as good, and you wouldn't get the audio through the car's speakers, but it would be better than nothing.

oscar

My old 1996 BMW had weather radio integrated with AM/FM and the rest of the stereo system.  That was unusual, and I liked it.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

It would be nice to have, but around here, most of the stations interrupt regular programming with a simulcast of the local television weather coverage if weather is severe enough to warrant it. That makes it less necessary than it would otherwise be.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

An inexpensive portable scanner with WX function attached to the simple "wire on suction cups" antenna that fits on the inside of the windshield would do nicely as well (with few exceptions, portable weather radios don't have a connection for an external antenna).  Haven't yet gotten around to putting a permanent scanner in my current car, so I used this setup during my recent trip to Central Pennsylvania.  Worked quite well.

Like weather radios, most scanners nowadays have the SAME feature, so you don't have to listen to the frequency unless there's severe weather.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 24, 2014, 04:13:09 PM
It would be nice to have, but around here, most of the stations interrupt regular programming with a simulcast of the local television weather coverage if weather is severe enough to warrant it. That makes it less necessary than it would otherwise be.

All-news radio stations will usually transmit severe weather warnings and watches, and most of them give weather every 10 minutes anyway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.