News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Songs that could easily be split into two separate songs

Started by roadman65, October 10, 2014, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

We have had a thread about medleys of songs, but what about the opposite where one song actually is two songs in one.

Songs like Layla by Derek and The Dominos where it has two parts with separate music that could both be songs of their own.

I have also found these to be the same:

Colours by Phil Collins
One Bourbon, One Scotch, And One Beer by George Thorogood
Estranged by Guns n Roses
Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meat Loaf (could actually be three songs)

Any other songs that could be considered two songs in one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

GCrites

Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner could be three songs.

agentsteel53

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 10, 2014, 09:59:35 AM
Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner could be three songs.

and one could be left off the album, really.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Anything with movements (basically any long prog or prog-esque song. Likewise classical if there's words making it a song) can be split if you wanted to.

roadman65

Quote from: english si on October 10, 2014, 10:32:45 AM
Anything with movements (basically any long prog or prog-esque song. Likewise classical if there's words making it a song) can be split if you wanted to.
I am looking for long steady movements that abruptly change. 

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Rush's "Hemispheres." It's broken down into several parts on the album notes, but it's one big long track on the CD.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 09:41:45 AMOne Bourbon, One Scotch, And One Beer by George Thorogood

It is a cover of two separate songs: The House Rent Boogie by John Lee Hooker, and One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer by Amos Milburn (which was later covered by the aforementioned John Lee Hooker).

So I guess that this belongs to the "Songs where the famous version is a cover" thread.

Mapmikey

"No Sugar Tonight" by the Guess Who

"Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project (in the full version there is a long musical intro that is not all that similar to the song where the lyrics are)

"I Need a Lover that Won't Drive Me Crazy" by John Cougar (similar to above but not as big a difference IMO)

Mapmikey

Roadrunner75

1995hoo

"A Day in the Life" was created by putting together two uncompleted songs, although if you split it neither one would really be long enough.

I'm not sure whether "Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away" by Chicago is one song or two. It's certainly a single track on the record. Either way, I've always felt the "Get Away" part doesn't add anything, although it's not long enough to be a song on its own.

"I'm a Cadillac/El Camino Dolo Roso" by Mott the Hoople has a long instrumental outro by Mick Ralphs that doesn't really fit with the first part of the song. For some reason, several of his compositions with Mott the Hoople were of this style and had a dual title. "Ready for Love/After Lights" is another one (come to think of it, "Ready for Love" bears mention in the "hit songs that were actually covers" thread, since it was originally a Mott the Hoople cut).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadrunner75

I'm Your Captain / Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad

Big John

Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In - 5th Dimension
We will Rock You / We are the Champions - Queen
Knights in White Satin / (bad poetry) - Moody Blues

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on October 10, 2014, 05:46:54 PM

"We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" are two separate songs. They're just usually played together on the radio. Note in concert Queen did not necessarily play them one after the other.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

B-Boy Bouillabaisse by The Beastie Boys could easily be 10 or 11.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2014, 06:21:08 PM

"We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" are two separate songs. They're just usually played together on the radio. Note in concert Queen did not necessarily play them one after the other.
Actually the single of Nights in White Satin leaves out intro and the recitation at the end and plays the verses and choruses.

Yes We Will Rock You was the B Side of We Are The Champions and not intended to be one whole song.

Aquarius and Let The Sunshine In are two separate songs already.

Sheryl Crowe

Laura

My opinion is that none of the songs could easily be split into two songs. If they were meant to be two songs, they would have been written that way.

Shorter, medley-like songs like "Band on the Run" have independent parts, but none of them would have worked as full songs.

Long, prog-rock masterpieces were written with movements and multiple parts in mind.

KG909

~Fuccboi

golden eagle

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
I'm not sure whether "Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away" by Chicago is one song or two. It's certainly a single track on the record. Either way, I've always felt the "Get Away" part doesn't add anything, although it's not long enough to be a song on its own.

''Head Over Heels/Broken'' by Tears for Fears is the same way.

One song that can definitely be two songs is ''Need You Tonight/ Mediate'' by INXS.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 10, 2014, 12:11:19 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 09:41:45 AMOne Bourbon, One Scotch, And One Beer by George Thorogood

It is a cover of two separate songs: The House Rent Boogie by John Lee Hooker, and One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer by Amos Milburn (which was later covered by the aforementioned John Lee Hooker).

So I guess that this belongs to the "Songs where the famous version is a cover" thread.

Holy crap, Amos Milburn!  I had no idea.

SteveG1988

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2014, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2014, 06:21:08 PM

Actually the single of Nights in White Satin leaves out intro and the recitation at the end and plays the verses and choruses.

Yes We Will Rock You was the B Side of We Are The Champions and not intended to be one whole song.

Aquarius and Let The Sunshine In are two separate songs already.

It is weird to hear let the sunshine in without Aquarius before it, and it is weird to hear Aquarius without Let the sunshine in.

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey by Paul and Linda McCartney was made of song fragments stitched together.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

Funny thing is I used to think that Uncle Albert and Admiral Halsey were one song.  The same for Elton John's Funeral For A Friend which I though had a long intro to it, but later discovered that what I thought was the intro was the song, and the spoken part of what I thought was part of it was the next song on the album.

In retrospect I think the sung part of The Who's Tommy Overture should be the next song as Overtures are not supposed to be vocal.  Plus the words describing the narrative of Captain Walker coming home, should be in the next song because the lyrics go well together.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Just found this thread...

Donna Summer has at least 3 songs that are two, in the sense that they start out as a "slow dance", but abruptly become a disco tune.  Note that there is a version of "Last Dance" where the slow part is in the middle, rather than at the beginning (someone told me it was the Canadian version).

"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO has a separate movement at the end, that, until recently, I didn't realize was part of the same song.

"Stone in Love" by Journey has a lengthy, (mostly) instrumental interlude as its second part.

Even "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin becomes a second song, starting with the da-da-da, da-da-da guitar chords.

You could almost say the same about "Hey Jude" by The Beatles, with the naaaa na na na-na-na na part.

lepidopteran

In the "actually two songs" category, you got

• "The Load-Out"/"Stay", by Jackson Browne.  The first part gives a lengthy description of concert tour logistics, and the second has the "Oh won't you stayyyyy, just a little bit longer."
  • "Foreplay"/"Long Time", by Boston
  • "AD 1928"/"Rockin the Paradise", and "Half-Penny, Two-Penny"/"AD 1958", both on the Paradise Theater album by Styx
  • "Working My Way Back to You"/"Forgive Me, Girl", sung by The Spinners.  They did the same with "Cupid"/"I've Loved You for a Long Time"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.