News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual food combinations you think might taste good

Started by Pink Jazz, October 21, 2014, 01:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Beer and ice creme doesn't sound good to me (but then I don't really like beer anyways).  Vodka and ice creme, on the other hand, is totally awesome (and there's actually a restaurant called Sticky Lips in Rochester, NY that serves a drink with that combo).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Vodka and vodka sounds good to me; vodka and ice cream not so much.  For booze and ice cream I stick to Kahlua or Cabin Fever, but these are now getting away from unusual combinations and into perfectly reasonable ones.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on October 22, 2014, 12:17:34 PM

A few months later, I'm at a shop in Jacksonville, and we talked about the site called "ThisIsWhyYoureFat.com" or some such. One photo featured a hamburger with two donuts in place of the buns. As it was a slow day, we made a run that afternoon to McDonald's and Krispy Kreme, and tried it out for ourselves. Messy to handle but an interesting taste, since it seemed to cover the aftertaste of Ronald's Cooking.

I'm told that the Krispy Kreme burgers are one of the most popular food items at the Kentucky State Fair.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

signalman

I will often make myself peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast.  I've gotten plenty of odd looks from others when telling them of my concoction.  I tell them all, "Don't knock it until you try it...it's fucking good!"

As for the beer and ice cream thing...no, just no.  It sounds disgusting.  I like both, but not together.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pink Jazz

Sorry to bump an old thread, however, there is one unusual food combination that I have actually HAVE tried that I forgot to mention: Chicken parmesan with pink sauce.  The pink sauce is a blend of marinara and alfredo sauce.  There was one Italian restaurant in Puerto Rico that I ordered it twice and it was good.

EDIT: And no, I don't like it just because it is pink.  I just think it tastes good.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

I made a sandwich with strawberry jam, red pepper (bell peppers, not Pepper Jack) cheese, and ham. It was delicious.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Beer and ice cream could work. Try a dark porter with vanilla ice cream.

I wish I could claim credit for that, but Stone Brewing actually have a porter with vanilla bean on the market, inspired by the idea of a beer float. I tried said beer a few weeks ago and found it pleasant. Not sure what I'd do if I had to pair it with food, but I'm thinking dessert. Ms1995hoo made a very rich chocolate cake earlier this week and this stuff might work with it.....too bad I don't have any of the beer left and there was none at Total Beverage today. I got the regular Stone Smoked Porter but I haven't got any ice cream to dump into the glass. We still have about a third of the cake.

In terms of odd food, does meatloaf cooked outside on the grill qualify for this thread? It's not a "combination," but it's surely atypical. I got the idea back in 2003 watching the Oilers play the Canadiens outdoors. I thought if I cook meatloaf in the oven at 350F, why can't I regulate the grill to 350, cook the meatloaf, and let the grease drip away so I don't have to clean up? It worked pretty darn well, actually, but as my meatloaf recipe has evolved over the years, cooking on the grill is less of an option due to the texture changing (don't want the meatloaf collapsing through the grates and burning up in the fire, though the smell might scare the shit out of our feral cat friend and the various squirrels and raccoons who visit our deck!).

BTW, here is the cat, seen in the snow two weeks ago. She WILL NOT let us near her; if I throw the bolt to unlock the door to feed her, she runs next door and waits on our neighbors' deck until I go back inside. I wish she could learn to trust us like the squirrels do.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

My co-worker's girlfriend likes chili powder on ice cream.

Another co-worker is always putting condiments on things that ordinary people wouldn't put them on. We wonder if he really likes the taste or if he is just trying to get attention.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brian556 on January 30, 2015, 11:49:47 PM
My co-worker's girlfriend likes chili powder on ice cream.

Another co-worker is always putting condiments on things that ordinary people wouldn't put them on. We wonder if he really likes the taste or if he is just trying to get attention.

I love the chili-encrusted dried mango strips at Trader Joe's.  I know some other folks can't stand them. 

I had to struggle to get a friend to even try a michelada, which is where some Mexican god put hot sauce, lime, and worcestershire into a beer and made the best drink ever, but he got a second one after that.  I can barely stop drinking them they are so delicious. 

SignGeek101

signalman

An ex girlfriend of mine used to like puting ketchup on macaroni and cheese.  It was indeed bizarre, but didn't taste half bad. 

english si

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 31, 2015, 01:03:37 PM
Ketchup on rice. Tastes great.
Original (black) kecap was designed for rice (being soy sauce + molasses). Red ketchup works fairly well too.
Quote from: signalman on January 31, 2015, 01:45:10 PMAn ex girlfriend of mine used to like puting ketchup on macaroni and cheese.  It was indeed bizarre, but didn't taste half bad.
Red ketchup? doesn't sound odd - cheese and tomato is a common combo!

JakeFromNewEngland

Probably not very weird but, I have made several sandwiches with a combination of peanut butter, nutella, and strawberries. It's pretty damn good.

xcellntbuy

Being new to middle Georgia, my Georgia native colleagues like peanuts and Coca-Cola, actually the peanuts in with the bottle of soda.  I like the two items, but separately.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Pink Jazz

Quote from: english si on January 31, 2015, 01:55:09 PM
Red ketchup? doesn't sound odd - cheese and tomato is a common combo!

I know many kids like to dip chicken nuggets/strips in ketchup, while adults typically prefer BBQ sauce or honey mustard; ketchup is usually for fries or burgers instead.

Pete from Boston

This has turned into "Food combinations that you think taste good."

english si

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 31, 2015, 05:35:44 PMI know many kids like to dip chicken nuggets/strips in ketchup, while adults typically prefer BBQ sauce or honey mustard; ketchup is usually for fries or burgers instead.
Aye, but we were talking about Mac and Cheese, so I'm not sure why the common combinations of nuggets+dipping sauce link with my post, or with the thread.
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 31, 2015, 06:01:04 PMThis has turned into "Food combinations that you think taste good."
Yes. The thread is about Unusual food combos. Chicken nuggets and Ketchup is the opposite of that.

I think the "I've not tried it, but I think it would work" element implied in the title is more OK to bypass - because surely the natural thing to do for many people is to try it, and they shouldn't be excluded from the thread.

Here's one I've not tried, but would like to (my brother had it as part of his 'Ginvent' calender in December), though I don't think it would taste that good - Gin with cream as a botanical (what you put in the still with the pure spirit to flavour the gin - could be anything, but one must be juniper or it isn't gin).

empirestate

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 21, 2014, 01:07:31 AM
If you ever thought of an unusual food combination you think might taste good, but never actually tried it before, what such combination would it be?

Nuts and gum.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 21, 2014, 03:07:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2014, 02:24:37 PM
But I don't get this whole chicken-and-waffles thing that is so popular in the south.

I have not tried it yet, but I saw chicken and waffles on the menu at IHOP recently, and it actually looks very, very appitizing, at least to me.  :-P :bigass:

As you'd expect, chicken and waffles is a big thing in NYC now.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on February 01, 2015, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 21, 2014, 01:07:31 AM
If you ever thought of an unusual food combination you think might taste good, but never actually tried it before, what such combination would it be?

Nuts and gum.

Together at last!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.