News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

AFAIC the biggest looser on the ITR deal was the state of PA who turned down $9.5 Billion in cash shortly after the ITR deal, mostly because of the objections of the unionized staffing of the PA Turnpike.

Rick Powell

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 23, 2016, 04:39:32 PM
Does it though?  I think that would depend upon the specific language that has been used in the contract.

The 407 contract also has a non-compete clause in it, and various local and provincial highways have been upgraded in it's vicinity since it was privatized.

I'm not writing this to be either for or against the privatization of the Indiana Toll Road, but you'd need a legal interpretation to determine what the potential fallout for US-20 or other surrounding corridors would be based upon the contract that was entered into.

"Correct" is meaningless and misleading in this case.

Most non-compete agreements would be for a similar type facility. IOW, a new limited access facility or conversion of an arterial road to a freeway. I doubt that adding lanes or doing spot intersection improvements to an arterial road would count. In today's funding environment, the potential of a competing facility would be pretty remote even without the clause.

mukade

Quote from: theline on September 23, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 23, 2016, 02:18:14 PM
Quote from: ITB on September 23, 2016, 12:21:48 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2016, 09:33:27 PM
Meanwhile, the Indiana Toll Road is significantly less well maintained than it was before ...

According to whom? Do you have any evidence to support this statement?
I seem to recall there being many mentions of declining pavement quality and service plaza condition on this forum and the Facebook groups.

As one of those who has made comments on this forum about the deteriorating condition of the ITR and as one who has driven it regularly for decades, I can confirm that there was a great decline of the pavement and service plaza quality from what we had learned to expect. It should be pointed out that the decline began well before the lease arrangement took effect, while the Toll Road Commission was in change. This was no doubt at least partly the result of the toll rates that were too low.

During management by the first concessionaire, little was done to improve the situation. One can assume that the financial condition of that organization played a major role. The repaving and plans to replace the service plazas over the next few years give me hope that the new concessionaire will bring the ITR back to where it used to be.

I was opposed to the initial lease of the road, under the general principal that public infrastructure is managed best by the public, but I'm hoping for the best about the ITR. The PPP portion of I-69, on the other hand, is not leaving with a warm, fuzzy feeling, considering recent developments.

Most of ITR has already been resurfaced from Portage to US 31. I drove it four weeks ago, and it is in excellent shape. In all honesty, before the resurfacing, the condition of the road surface ITR was not any worse than sections of the toll-free Interstaes in Indiana.

I thought other sections of the ITR east of Mishawaka was also being resurfaced, but I have not driven that section.

I think one important point many people overlook is that the ITR was never making money for the state when it was maintained by INDOT so the lease deal was great for the state from more than one perspective.

As for the I-69 section 5 PPP, that obviously has issues. If I remember right, the I-265/East End Bridge project was also a PPP and seeems to have been built on time and on budget.  It will be interesting what the state will do about I-69 section 6.

ITB

Quote from: mukade on September 25, 2016, 07:46:36 AM
As for the I-69 section 5 PPP, that obviously has issues. If I remember right, the I-265/East End Bridge project was also a PPP and seeems to have been built on time and on budget.  It will be interesting what the state will do about I-69 section 6.

Yes, indeed, the East End Crossing project is a P3. As it nears completion, it appears the project's design and construction aspects have gone very well. For those not in the know, there's a terrific website for the project, with lots of photos, videos and live camera feeds. Earlier this month, they closed the gap in the bridge, a truly impressive feat.

http://eastendcrossing.com/

The recent discussion about the merits of P3 projects has been interesting. While I am not a strong proponent of such projects, I see some benefits in their application. For one, it shifts the responsibility to the concessionaire and its contractors to build quality. Any shoddy work will just have to be redone on the concessionaire's dime. With the ITR and the East End project, the state of Indiana appears to done well with its P3s, some might say very well.

Section 5 of the I-69 Corridor Project, however, has been a major bump in the road, so to speak. Section 6, barring a major legislative appropriation bill, will be, in all likelihood, a P3, too. The concessionaire of Section 5, I-69 Development Partners, and its design-build contractor, Isolux Corsán USA, have done themselves a major disservice in their handling of Section 5. With the recent events, it will be difficult for Indiana to select Isolux to build Section 6, even if its bid comes in lowest. If they fail to win the Section 6 contract, it's possible the Section 5 concession will be sold.

ITB

With work resuming on Section 5 of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project, here's an informal update on where things stand.

As a causal construction watcher, it appears to me that Section 5 is about 50% complete. Good progress has been made in 2016, but the work stoppages have put a dent in the timeline. Substantial completion is now expected in October 2017, a further extension of four months. The new completion date is roughly a year later than initially planned. However, the contractual completion date of October 2016 set in the P3 agreement seemed grossly unrealistic.

Here's a rundown of the elements of Section 5 and the status of their construction:

Interchanges (4 in total)
- Fullerton Road – about 75% complete (Earth work to form the ramps is underway, but a lot of fill work is needed before the western roundabout can be built; may complete in 2016, but 2017 fast approaches)
- Liberty Church Road – about 50% done (Good progress in 2016; should complete by the middle of 2017 as planned)
- Sample Road – perhaps 10% complete (Utility work seems complete, and earth work on access roads is underway, but work on the overpass itself has yet to begin)
- Tapp Road – aside from the relocation of utilities and some excavation and fill, full blown construction at Tapp Road has yet to kick off and won't until the interchange at Fullerton Road completes. (Due to the necessity of maintaining adequate access to Monroe Hospital, the Tapp Road/State Road 37 intersection cannot be closed until the interchange of Fullerton Road is open to traffic.)

Overpasses (4 in total)
- Rockport Road – complete and open to traffic
- Vernal Pike – about 80% complete (probably will finish and be opened to traffic by the end of 2016). While the bridge has received its concrete decking, work remains on the approach slabs, sidewalks and sidewalls.
- Kinser Pike – 95+% done (The overpass itself is done, however, the approach roads on both sides await a final layer of asphalt as well as striping.)
- Chambers Pike – work has not yet commenced

Added 3rd Traffic Lanes between That Road and Sample Road (about 11.35 miles total)
Good progress during 2016; should complete in 2017. The lanes and median barrier wall between That Road and the SR 37/SR 46 interchange are now about 75% complete; some work will have to wait until later, especially in the vicinity of the Tapp Road interchange. From the SR 46 interchange to the N. Walnut Street partial interchange, earth work is mostly done and subbase and base material is being applied. Around the areas of the three mainline bridges, crossing Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek and Beanblossom Overflow, work will have to wait until the bridge expansions complete. Earth work is now underway in the median from N. Walnut Street to Sample Road to carve out space for the new lanes.

Mainline Bridge Widenings and Rehabs (7 in total)
- CSX Railroad – about 80% complete (should complete in 2016)
- Griffy Creek – about 25% (probably will complete by the middle of 2017)
- Beanblossom Creek – work is underway
- Beanblosoom Creek Overflow – work is underway
- Bryant's Creek – rehab of northbound span is complete and open to traffic; initial work on the southbound span appears to have started
- Jordan Creek (Morgan County) – work has not yet started
- Little Indian Creek (Morgan County) – work has not yet commenced

New Local Access Roads
Work is underway at locations near Sample Road and Liberty Church Road, but to estimate progress is nearly impossible from a layperson's standpoint. Let's just say progress is being made. Near Liberty Church Road, three small bridges are being constructed over Jordan Creek; two are to carry interchange ramps, and one an access road. Each of these bridges has had its concrete deck pour.

Other Elements
- That Road realignment – complete and open to traffic
- Arlington Road bridge elevation – complete; bridge has been raised and is open to traffic
- Rockport Road realignment and new intersection with Fullerton Pike – about 60% done; this is actually a component of the Fullerton Road interchange project and should complete about the same time the interchange does
- 3rd Street overpass widening for new multipurpose paths – aside from an extension of the bent, no further work has commenced
- 2nd Street interchange improvements – no work has commenced
- Between Chambers Pike—Burma Road – embankment, drainage and shoulder work (northbound roadway); work is underway and should complete in the fall of 2016
- Sound Walls – (3 separate walls in total); Sound Wall #1 – no work; #2 –about 50% done; #3 – no work as yet

The key to the project at this time is completing the interchange at Fullerton Road. This will allow work to commence at Tapp Road for the new interchange there. At Sample Road, the new interchange and local access roads are, perhaps, the most demanding aspect of the entire Section 5 project. As best I can determine (and I could be wrong), about 2.5 miles of new interstate mainline are to be built in this vicinity. If this new stretch of mainline, plus the interchange at Sample Road, can be completed by the end of 2017, it will be a big step forward.

Most likely I'm missing a few project elements in the list above, and in some, my estimates concerning progress may be way off. Also, please keep in mind, this is a simply a report from an construction watcher. I am not in the construction business, never have been, nor do I work for any entity involved in Section 5. Having said that, I have been active observing construction projects for many years and have developed a certain sense of what's going on.

Up next: A few pics.

Note: Minor edits for grammar and clarification.

ITB

Section 5. Photos were taken September 11, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

The overpass that will take Liberty Church Road over State Road 37 (future I-69) in Morgan County, Indiana; looking northeast.

Looking north toward State Road 37 from near the Liberty Church Road overpass. Visible are three short bridges over Jordan Creek; two of the bridges (one left of SR 37, and one right) will carry the interstate ramps; the other (far left) will carry the local access road.

Closer look at the two bridges over Jordan Creek located west of SR 37; looking northeast.

The State Road 37/Liberty Church Road non-traffic controlled crossing, which is still in use; looking slightly southeast from near the Liberty Church Road overpass.

The future local access road west of SR 37 that will link into the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange; looking slightly northeast. In the background is the bridge that will take the road over Jordan Creek.

The hydraulic cylinders that control the blade of a dozer; with State Road 37 in the background. Looking south from near the future Liberty Church Road overpass.

Two soil compactors and two dozers lined up on the western approach to the Liberty Church Road overpass; looking northwest. The black tubing will be attached to storm drains on the overpass's approach ramp. Later, they will be covered with soil, and few will be the wiser of their existence.

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken September 11, 2016, unless otherwise note. (Fifteen years ago ... ugh.)

The work zone at Sample Road west of State Road 37 in Monroe County, Indiana; looking south. Sample Road has been erased in this area, but used to run about where the orange construction netting is located center. In the background is N. Wayport Road, which will be extended to become one of the access roads that links into the I-69/Sample Road interchange.

The State Road 37/Sample Road crossing, which remains in use for traffic heading east on Sample Road; looking east.

Looking north toward the work zone at Sample Road. State Road 37 is off to the right but out of view.

State Road 37; looking north from near Sample Road. In this vicinity, the current northbound lanes of SR 37 will become a local road, with SR 37's southbound lanes becoming the northbound lanes for I-69. A new stretch of mainline interstate roadway will be built just to the west of SR 37 for the interstate's southbound lanes. (Note: I think this is correct. The drawings posted on the Section 5 website do show this layout. I'd feel more comfortable, however, if I were able to see actual construction drawings, as plans have a tendency to change.)

Another view of the work zone at Sample Road west of SR 37; looking north. The small patch of gravel in front of the excavators is where Sample Road used to be. The contractor has put down several yards of black rubber matting to ward off erosion and rutting.

One more view of the Sample Road work zone; looking south.

Looking north toward the spot where the future western roundabout of the Interstate 69/Fullerton Road interchange will be constructed. Both the entrance and exit interstate ramps for southbound I-69 will run north from the roundabout in the direction of the mound of earth. The area where excavation has occurred will be built up to roughly equal the mound in the background. State Road 37 (future I-69) and the Fullerton Road overpass are to the right out of view.

The road in the foreground is S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. Of interest is the storm sewer block and related conduit (visible just beyond the concrete block). Photo was taken: September 24, 2016.

Another perspective of the work zone where the western roundabout of I-69/Fullerton Road interchange will be built; looking slightly northeast. A small slice of State Road 37 (future I-69) is visible to the right. Photo: September 24.

And, lastly, one more of the Fullerton Road interchange work zone west of SR 37; looking north. Photo: September 24.

theline

Quote from: mukade on September 25, 2016, 07:46:36 AM
Quote from: theline on September 23, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 23, 2016, 02:18:14 PM
Quote from: ITB on September 23, 2016, 12:21:48 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2016, 09:33:27 PM
Meanwhile, the Indiana Toll Road is significantly less well maintained than it was before ...

According to whom? Do you have any evidence to support this statement?
I seem to recall there being many mentions of declining pavement quality and service plaza condition on this forum and the Facebook groups.

As one of those who has made comments on this forum about the deteriorating condition of the ITR and as one who has driven it regularly for decades, I can confirm that there was a great decline of the pavement and service plaza quality from what we had learned to expect. It should be pointed out that the decline began well before the lease arrangement took effect, while the Toll Road Commission was in change. This was no doubt at least partly the result of the toll rates that were too low.

During management by the first concessionaire, little was done to improve the situation. One can assume that the financial condition of that organization played a major role. The repaving and plans to replace the service plazas over the next few years give me hope that the new concessionaire will bring the ITR back to where it used to be.

I was opposed to the initial lease of the road, under the general principal that public infrastructure is managed best by the public, but I'm hoping for the best about the ITR. The PPP portion of I-69, on the other hand, is not leaving with a warm, fuzzy feeling, considering recent developments.

Most of ITR has already been resurfaced from Portage to US 31. I drove it four weeks ago, and it is in excellent shape. In all honesty, before the resurfacing, the condition of the road surface ITR was not any worse than sections of the toll-free Interstaes in Indiana.

I thought other sections of the ITR east of Mishawaka was also being resurfaced, but I have not driven that section.

I think one important point many people overlook is that the ITR was never making money for the state when it was maintained by INDOT so the lease deal was great for the state from more than one perspective.

Not to nitpick (well maybe a little) but some statements about the ITR need clarification.

The resurfacing is done between roughly Portage and South Bend, as stated. IIRC the part east of South Bend is scheduled to be repaved next year.

It's not accurate that "the ITR was never making money for the state." Many improvements were made to roads near the toll road from excess ITR funds in the '80s and early '90s. (My brain is a little fuzzy on the dates.) I believe that part of the St. Joseph Valley Parkway and the Main Street extension in Mishawaka got some of those funds. Eventually, due to the failure to increase tolls and falling usage of the ITR, the excess funds dried up and the ITR became a money loser.

ITB

Earlier this year in May a very significant event occurred that has implications for Section 5. One of Canada's largest pension investment mangers, the Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments) became the sole shareholder of Isolux Infrastructure Netherlands B.V. This means that PSP Investments, apparently, now controls I-69 Development Partners, the concessionaire of Section 5. As a result, the original setup of Isolux Infrastructure–I-69 Development Partners–Isolux Corsán USA (design-build contractor) is bye-bye, with the last remaining Isolux connection to Section 5 being solely Isolux Corsán USA, the prime contractor. Isolux Infrastructure has been renamed ROADIS by PSP Investments.

The new arrangement of PSP Investments–ROADIS–I-69 Development Partners–Isolux Corsán USA helps explain why last month, due to the subcontractor nonpayment issue, I-69 Development Partners sought and was granted (by court order) access to an Isolux Corsán $23 million letter of credit. This letter of credit was one of performance securities Isolux submitted before construction on Section 5 commenced.

This week and the next couple will be crucial in how things play out. The 30-day deadline set in motion with last month's Indiana Finance Authority's warning letter of non-compliance is this week. Some media reports identify October 3rd as being the actual deadline date. If the pertinent issues detailed in the warning letter have yet to resolved, the State of Indiana through the IFA may declare the concessionaire, I-69 Development Partners, in default of the P3 agreement. If this, in fact, transpires, the State may take control of Section 5. I-69 Development Partners itself has issued a warning notice to its prime contractor, Isolux Corsán USA, for nonpayment to subcontractors. With pressure from its new owner, ROADIS, I-69 Development Partners may be forced to make a decision whether to continue on with Isolux Corsán USA as its design-build contractor. In additon, Aztec Engineering Group, the principal design-engineers for Section 5, is, apparently, no longer associated with the project. If so, and if additional design work is needed, another design-engineering firm will have to brought in.

Here's the pertinent links:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/psp-investments-launches-roadis-its-new-global-road-investment-platform-577983081.html
Press release announcing the acquisition of Isolux Infrastructure and the creation of ROADIS.

http://www.roadis.com/en/
ROADIS website.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/i--contractor-says-payment-issues-are-resolved/article_27ad1262-3eef-5f66-98e1-a57b6e203eab.html
Unfortunately behind a paywall; details the granting of access to the $23 Isolux performance security.

http://www.aztec.us/portfolio/i-69-section-5-ppp/
Aztec "was" ...

ITB

Since it's been nearly a month since my previous post, here's a quick update on the status of Section 5 plus a few photos.

Construction has been proceeding normally for the past month. Media reports have affirmed that Isolux Corsán USA remains the prime contractor. Also, officially affirmed, once again, is the completion date of October 2017. At this time, there appears to be more of a push to make progress. Crews were out working on Sunday, October 30, in the area between Burma Road and Bryant's Creek, reshaping and regrading embankments. Those who drive SR 37 regularly are quite aware this is a major choke point where two lanes are funneled down to one and SR 37's southbound lanes are used for two way traffic. I imagine efforts are being made to finish work in this area by Thanksgiving and return northbound traffic to the northbound lanes before winter.

At Sample Road, the wires and their respective poles have been removed. Work continues with grading, but the overpass itself has not yet started. Also, in this vicinity, about two miles of new interstate mainline are to be constructed, but there is little to show for it at this time. On a positive note, about a mile south, the Kinser Pike overpass and roadway is now open to traffic.

If work continues steadily for the next year, major components of Section 5 should complete in 2017, including the Fullerton Road interchange, the Vernal Pike overpass, the Liberty Church Road overpass, and the added travel lanes between That Road and Sample Road. This is good news. At the same time, considerable work may remain unfinished, namely the interchanges at Sample Road and Tapp Road. An overpass also must be built at Chambers Road.

Let's go to the pictures. Photos were taken October 14, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Rockport Road overpass toward the Fullerton Road overpass. Crews have roughed out the northbound exit and entrance ramps. The inner portion of the roadway still needs its final layer of asphalt. Once this is done, the traffic lanes will be shifted so work can begin in earnest connecting the ramps to the roadway. Photo: October 15.

Fill work to build up the ground for the western section of the I-69/Fullerton Road interchange; looking north. At this location, a traffic roundabout will be constructed. The Fullerton Road overpass is to right, but not visible. In the background is a slice of SR 37 with its median barrier wall.

Another perspective of the fill work at the Fullerton Road work site; looking east.

Excavation work at the Fullerton Road work site; looking north. Photo: October 26.

One more of the fill work underway at the Fullerton Road work site; looking north. This is where the Fullerton Road and S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. intersection used to be.

Brandon

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 22, 2016, 02:18:23 PM
In the case of the Indiana Toll Road, no one wanted to take the responsibility to raise the tolls to a level they felt needed to be raised to pay for the maintenance, etc of the road, and they didn't want to drop it back onto the taxpayers.  A large portion of the traffic on the ITR is not Indiana based (as far as I can tell), and that's one way to pull money from other states.  They get someone to blame for higher rates and then also get a bunch of money to pay for highway projects around the state.  If the private partnership declares bankruptcy, Indiana already has the money, and then gets the Toll Road at the updated toll rates.  Except for perhaps difficulties during the bankruptcy, I see more upside to the whole deal than not.  Indiana did this at a very opportune time 10+ years ago.  If they tried that today, they would be offered less than half of what they received.

Indiana majorly screwed up, IMHO, when they decided to build the road where they did.  The routing was put north, IIRC, to partially screw Michigan out of a possible US-112 freeway (which was being thought of at the time).  A far better, and far more useful to Indiana routing, would have been to route the Toll Road south of South Bend and Elkhart, near Goshen, and then near the north end of Fort Wayne, then along Fort-to-Port to Toledo.  Indiana also made mistakes on the west end, agreeing to align with the Calumet (now Chicago) Skyway instead of just going west into the Borman Expressway.  That section of the Toll Road has never lived up to expectations.  All the traffic got off the Toll Road and made its way to the Borman, and then later exited the Toll Road at the Borman to use the free route to Chicago, or use the Tri-State Tollway (which makes a shitload of money).  ISTHC (now ISTHA) initially lost out to Chicago for the ending of the Toll Road, but they did get the traffic in the long run.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

silverback1065

Quote from: Brandon on November 01, 2016, 11:28:41 AM
In the case of the Indiana Toll Road, no one wanted to take the responsibility to raise the tolls to a level they felt needed to be raised to pay for the maintenance, etc of the road, and they didn't want to drop it back onto the taxpayers.  A large portion of the traffic on the ITR is not Indiana based (as far as I can tell), and that's one way to pull money from other states.  They get someone to blame for higher rates and then also get a bunch of money to pay for highway projects around the state.  If the private partnership declares bankruptcy, Indiana already has the money, and then gets the Toll Road at the updated toll rates.  Except for perhaps difficulties during the bankruptcy, I see more upside to the whole deal than not.  Indiana did this at a very opportune time 10+ years ago.  If they tried that today, they would be offered less than half of what they received.

Indiana majorly screwed up, IMHO, when they decided to build the road where they did.  The routing was put north, IIRC, to partially screw Michigan out of a possible US-112 freeway (which was being thought of at the time).  A far better, and far more useful to Indiana routing, would have been to route the Toll Road south of South Bend and Elkhart, near Goshen, and then near the north end of Fort Wayne, then along Fort-to-Port to Toledo.  Indiana also made mistakes on the west end, agreeing to align with the Calumet (now Chicago) Skyway instead of just going west into the Borman Expressway.  That section of the Toll Road has never lived up to expectations.  All the traffic got off the Toll Road and made its way to the Borman, and then later exited the Toll Road at the Borman to use the free route to Chicago, or use the Tri-State Tollway (which makes a shitload of money).  ISTHC (now ISTHA) initially lost out to Chicago for the ending of the Toll Road, but they did get the traffic in the long run.

Interesting, I never thought of it, but it would have made sense to have the toll road go to fort wayne instead of where it goes now.  it could have curved south to replace us 30, went through ft wayne, then curved back to it's alignment in ohio somewhere.

mukade

Quote from: Brandon on November 01, 2016, 11:28:41 AM

I am not quite sure what this has to do with I-69, but I think the toll road location theory has at least a couple of flaws. First, the Ohio Turnpike preceded the Indiana Toll Road so ITR never would have been able to go thru Fort Wayne. Second, the Borman (or Tri-State as it was known) was also built before the ITR. Finally, at the time the toll road was built, northern Lake County was the prime commercial and industrial area of Northwest Indiana, and the much of where the Borman now goes and points south were quite rural. It made sense before the suburban sprawl that eventually came in a big way.

As for where it goes around South Bend and Elkhart, where it was routed makes sense to me. It is near Notre Dame for one thing, but the Michiana area at one point was a lot closer to an even split between Indiana and Michigan so the route seems logical to me. Yes, they also beat Michigan to the punch, but one state had to win out. Do you blame them for that?

ITB

More pictures. The photos of the Vernal Pike work zone were taken October 26, while those at the Fullerton Road site were snapped October 31.

Looking east from Rockport Road in Monroe County, Indiana, toward the work zone where Fullerton Road is being completely rebuilt east of State Road 37 as part of Section 5 of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project. Near the crest of the hill in the background, but not visible, is the overpass that will take Fullerton Road over I-69.

Another perspective of the Fullerton Road work zone east. The front-end loader had just been started up to move it onto a transport truck for removal from the site.

The Vernal Pike work site west of SR 37; looking east. Crews have formed the roadway and are now working to finish a retaining wall. The area in front of the ConSpan bridge is still torn up as a result to install a storm sewer, a late design change. A slice of SR 37 is visible in the background right.

Another view of the Vernal Pike work zone.

Closer look of work occurring near the ConSpan bridge.

ITB

Hey guys. With winter fast approaching, here's a final update on the status of Section 5 for 2016. Plus, as well, some pics.

Progress. Since October crews have been pushing hard to make headway. There is now momentum. In early November, work was ongoing on both Saturday and Sunday. Clearly, the green light has been turned on to get Section 5 finished. This is a very welcome change. Many elements of Section 5 should complete in 2017, namely (1) the Liberty Church Road interchange and its respective access roads; (2) the Fullerton Road interchange; (3) the Vernal Pike overpass in Bloomington; and (4) the added 3rd mainline lanes between That Road and Sample Road. Work on widening the mainline bridges over Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek, Beanblossom Overflow, and the CSX Railroad is progressing well and all should complete in 2017. One of the three planned soundwalls is now installed, too.

At the same time, however, a lot of work remains as 2016 comes to a close. Aside from utility relocation, work has not yet started on the Tapp Road interchange. Due to maintaining adequate access to Monroe Hospital, the interchange at Fullerton Road must complete and be opened to traffic before Tapp Road can be closed at State Road 37 (future I-69) for construction of the interchange. That won't happen until early spring 2017 at the earliest. At Sample Road earth work is well underway on the new local access roads. Construction of the overpass itself has not started. About two miles of new mainline interstate are to be constructed between Sample Road and the to-be-built Chambers Pike overpass. Crews have begun the initial earth work for the mainline section between Sample Road and W. Simpson Chapel Road. Also, there is the overpass at Chambers Pike, where work has not yet started. While most elements of Section 5 likely will complete in 2017, completing the three components just mentioned–Tapp Road, Sample, and Chambers Pike–by the end of 2017 may prove problematic. Nevertheless, by late 2017 the end of the entire project should be clearly in sight.

To the pics. Photos were taken November 6, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County, Indiana, toward State Road 37 (future I-69). Pictured are the three zones where mainline bridges are being widened over (1) Griffy Creek, (2) Beanblossom Creek, and (3) Beanblossom Overflow. The overpass is for the partial N. Walnut Street interchange. Sample Road, where a future interchange will be constructed, is located just beyond the crest of the hill.

Closer look at ongoing work on the bridges over Griffy Creek; looking northwest.

Looking north from the Arlington Road overpass toward SR 37 (future I-69). The Kinser Pike overpass is just around the bend. The added third lanes have now been paved. Between Arlington Road and Sample Road, a median cable barrier will be installed.

Looking east toward the construction zone at Sample Road.

The earth work underway to form the local access road that will run south from the Sample Road interchange's western roundabout. The access road splits as it approaches the roundabout.

Work to form the eastern access road south of Sample Road; looking south. This road, in large part, will run closely parallel to future I-69. A slice of SR 37 is visible in the background.

Interstate 69 Fan

Any update on the Ohio River Bridge?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

bmeiser

thefro

Some confusion now as to whether the completion date for this project has been delayed again to Aug 2018 (as the City of Bloomington is claiming).  Article is a couple weeks old

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/completion-date-of-i-69-expansion-from-bloomington-to-martinsville-unclear

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Two groups of people heavily impacted by I-69's expansion from Bloomington to Martinsville have released different dates of when the project will be completed, which in turn has caused confusion for many.

On Tuesday, city employees were invited to attend a closed meeting to discuss the timeline of Section 5 of I-69, according to the Bloomington Mayor's Office. During the meeting, Isolux Development Partners told employees the project would not be completed until August 2018.

Later that night, Gov. Eric Holcomb's press secretary said the construction was projected to be complete by October of 2017, not August of 2018.

The secretary said the 2018 date was mentioned in error during the meeting.

With two different dates of the project's completion making its way around town, it has led to confusion.

"I continue to be exceedingly frustrated with the opaque nature of this process. A major delay being disclosed in a small meeting is not how government should operate,"  said Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton. "Just yesterday two more people were injured in a construction zone crash. None of the partners in this project will take responsibility for the ongoing problem that this project has become for the thousands of people who rely on this transportation corridor every day. Hoosier residents and travelers are dealing with avoidable delays, inconvenience, and safety risks. I will be requesting a meeting with Governor Holcomb to express my concern and ask for transparent collaboration and a real plan for completion."

Officials at the Bloomington Mayor's Office said during the closed meeting, negotiations between Isolux and its subcontractors were described as ongoing and needing to be finalized before a firm date of completion could then be formally negotiated with the Indiana Department of Transportation and the Indiana Finance Authority.

SW Indiana

Oct 2017 is a push, IMO. The Tapp road interchange hasn't even been started yet. I haven't been up to Sample Road since October, but that hadn't been started yet either.

Avalanchez71

It is obvious that SR 37 is more than sufficient to service the needs of the community.  What a waste.

Revive 755

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 06, 2017, 06:15:40 PM
It is obvious that SR 37 is more than sufficient to service the needs of the community.

Perhaps if one enjoys the numerous stoplights and somewhat heavy traffic.

SW Indiana

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 06, 2017, 06:48:55 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 06, 2017, 06:15:40 PM
It is obvious that SR 37 is more than sufficient to service the needs of the community.

Perhaps if one enjoys the numerous stoplights and somewhat heavy traffic.

Indeed. I enjoy getting stopped at one of Martinsville's numerous stop lights and taking 30 minutes to go 5 miles once you get closer to Indy due to the stop lights and heavy traffic.

silverback1065

this highway should have been built as one of the original highways, it makes no sense that indy and evansville were never connected by an interstate until now. not even a us highway!  i still don't understand why not even 37 wasn't built to service evansville originally

tdindy88

Agreed. I also agree that October of 2017 is a stretch. I think if nothing else, that will be the time in which all the stoplights are gone and the highway is effectively a freeway. Similar in approach to how US 31 was "finished" at the end of 2015 in Carmel even though the last two interchanges were still well under construction. They could still be building the Sample and Tapp interchanges while claiming that the highway is "finished."

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 06, 2017, 08:55:46 PM
Agreed. I also agree that October of 2017 is a stretch. I think if nothing else, that will be the time in which all the stoplights and the highway is effectively a freeway. Similar in approach to how US 31 was "finished" at the end of 2015 in Carmel even though the last two interchanges were still well under construction. They could still be building the Sample and Tapp interchanges while claiming that the highway is "finished."

i think the term they use is "substantially complete" which i guess means the mainline is done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.